Better

Your 'not-so' Typical Love Story

 

DARA

 

 

“Dara!” I heard that familiar voice from across my room and I sighed. How many times would this girl be bothering me, eh? I still need to do some work and update appa about the company here in California but this girl kept on taking up my attention. Argh! As if she didn’t have work as well.

 

 

“What do you want with me this time, Bom?” I stood up from my computer chair and stood in front of Bom who is holding a bunch of papers in her hands. I furrowed my eyebrows and groaned a little when I thought that it’s more work.

 

 

“Don’t worry, sister.. This is not what you think It is.. This is my work and I’m going to do this on my room..” she said as she rolled her eyes at me then placed the papers she was holding on my bed.

 

 

“Then what made you come here in my room?” I asked rather nicely to my step sister. “I still have tons of work to do.. And I have to make three reports for tomorrow.” I walked towards her and sat at the edge of my bed.

 

 

“Well, I just heard from somewhere that we’ll both be assigned to this project.. They said it’s a big one and since we’re the future owner of Park Hotels, they picked us to settle this one,” she replied that made me look at her in interest.

 

 

“Do you think we can do that one? I mean like a big project if that happens?” I asked her, still not yet confident about my office skills and my skills when it comes to sealing business deals.. I mean Bom and I just started working as the acting CEO’s of Park Hotels in California a year ago and I think we’re still lacking in some department.

 

 

“Yah! Why are you even doubting yourself? Duh? We’re trained by appa so we know the best. We’re ready for this!” Bom exclaimed as she wrapped her arms around my shoulders and grinned. And I can’t help but to smile at her seeing how excited she is over this supposedly project of ours.

 

 

“Arasso,” I said that made her squeal in delight. She, then unwrapped her arms on my shoulders and gathered her paper works on my bed. She was about to walk out of the door when she turned around again and faced me with a wicked smile on her lips.

 

 

“Hey, tokki? You know Johnny, right?” she asked me.

 

 

“Uhhhmmm…” I tilted my head on the side, why is she asking me if I know our HR Department Head. 

 

 

“He’s our HR Department Head..” she exclaimed and I rolled my eyes. I know. “He was asking me about you. I think he has a thing for you, eh?” Bom said then she wiggled her eyebrows at me. Gah. My step sister just can’t help but be giddy whenever a guy would want to date me.

 

 

“You know I’m not interested in dating, Bom..” I dismissively said as I stood up from the bed and walked towards my work place inside my room. I sighed once more and continued working.

 

 

“Pft. You’re such a kill joy, Dara.. It’s been a year since you got here in Cali yet I didn’t even see you out with a guy just once.. Forget him, neh?” Bom said as I heard her sigh and walked out of my room.

 

 

What is she saying? Of course I’m not into dating because I’m focusing on my work. That 8-D ahjumma, really.

 

 

I thought to myself as I typed away on the keyboard. It was after a while when my fingers halted on their own. And my mind seems to be drifting off to somewhere I don’t want it to go.. Has it been a year already? Has it been a year passed that I pleaded my father to take me away from Korea? Has it been a year that I grew up stronger than the old Dara?

 

 

I guess it has been already. I sighed as I bowed my head. For the past year, I refused to succumb to the thought of ever thinking what had happened to me in Korea. And for the past year, I succeed. But what made me think of that again, eh? Maybe because Bom said “Forget him, neh?”

 

 

Well, I have forgotten about him now.. I don’t even recall how he looks.. Oh. Boo-hoo! Who am I kidding?! Of course I still remember him. But I guess I don’t remember the feelings I’ve felt for him. Which is a good news, right? I know it’s too early to say that but I’m sure of it. I remember Kwon Jiyong but I don’t remember loving him.

 

 

With that in mind, a smile crept up on my face and I once again focused my attention at the work at hand.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JIYONG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Mr. Kwon, you’re father wishes to see you in his office,” I looked up from my pile of paper works I’m doing and eyed my father’s secretary with my not-so nice stare. Can’t she see that I have tons of work to do?

 

 

I sighed. It’s useless if I lash out my frustrations at my father’s poor secretary. It’s not her fault, anyways.. And being the future president of Kwon Group of Companies, my father is putting me on under pressure and testing me if I have what it takes to replace his place.

 

 

I nodded my head and stood up from where I was sitting. I stretched my arms and legs and frowned when I felt numbness. I must be sitting for a long time, now. I sighed. I walked ahead of Yoona, my father’s assistant and went straight to my father’s office, with her following me behind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Appa,” I greeted when I entered my father’s office which will soon be my office. I sighed once more before I padded towards the couch and comfortably settled myself there.

 

 

“You must be tired from all the work you have, neh?” he said as he stood up from his swivel chair and went towards where I was sitting and sat beside me. He crossed his legs and stretched his arms on the back of the couch, making him look like the respectable man that he is.

 

 

“Yoona-ssi, said you have something to say to me, appa. What is it?” I inquired.

 

 

“Well you see.. I have a meeting with my business partners later and they’re all bringing their sons.. And I thought it might be a good idea to bring you as well.. You could know your future business partners,” appa suggested as he looked at me slowly, his eyes speaking to me..

 

 

“I still have tons do to, appa.. I can’t leave that,” I said as I slowly shook his head. No, don’t want any distractions. I want to finish my work already so I can relax a little when weekends come.

 

 

Now, who would’ve thought that I’ll be this responsible, eh? Back in college, all can think of is girls, and bets. Now, I don’t even have time for girls. Though, I have some little time for casual fling, I don’t have times for relationship and commitment. Urgh, where was the old Kwon Jiyong, eh? He’s now gone and is replaced by a new Kwon Jiyong.

 

 

“But I want you to go there, son.. And we’re going to talk about this resort we’re building on Jeju Island. It’s mainly our and Park’s deal.. I need you there because you’ll be the one to handle that.”

 

 

I groaned. Another work. I guess I don’t have any choice but to tag along my father.

 

 

“Arasso, appa. I’ll go with you.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR’S POV

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In one of the conference room inside the Park Hotels, there sat at the chairs the most respectable, richest, and powerful men in Asia and their heirs. They were gathered in that very conference room for they have their business to talk about. The CEO’s focused their attention to the presentation at hand, as well as their sons.. But there was a certain someone who is eyeing someone because he looks familiar in his eyes.

 

 

 

Jiyong furrowed his eyebrows as he squinted his eyes some more, trying to see the younger guy seated in front of him who has his attention focused on the presentation. He really seems familiar to him. Jiyong just can’t pinpoint where he saw him but he was sure they met already was back then. Jiyong squinted his eyes some more, leaning slightly in front of him to see the man clearly.

 

 

Jiyong was startled a bit when the lights suddenly and everyone was swinging their chair slightly to face the long desk. He cleared his throat and swung his chair just like the others did. He was acting like he listened to the presentation when he clearly wasn’t paying attention.

 

 

“So, I guess that ends our meeting for today?” Mr. Park said as he stood up from his chair and fixed his coat. He offered a warm smile to his partners and their sons. He bowed to each and one of them, showing how he is still humble even though he’s at the top of his game already.

 

 

“I don’t want to sound mean, Mr. Park..” One of the son started said as he shyly bowed his head and smiled. He was a tall man with dark hair and a complexion of a lady and he smiles so radiantly that the other two younger man had to shrug their shoulders. “But I don’t see your heir around,” he finishes off.

 

 

“Ohhh.” Mr. Park, then he lets out a chuckle as he turned to the guy who asked the question. “They’re actually not here. They’re in California and managing our company there.. But they’ll soon be here in Korea.. They’ll be the one to handle the resort in Jeju..”

 

 

“Oh,” the guy said as he nods his head.

 

 

“Mr. Park….” The other guy said, the one who was sporting an orangey hair.. “When are they coming back?” he asked. Jiyong furrowed his eyebrows some more. Seems like this guy knew Mr. Park’s heirs that he was not curious of who are they.

 

 

“Aigoooo. Jaejoong…. Are you excited to see them?” Mr. Park said, a teasing glint on his eyes. Jiyong, and the other guy had their eyebrows formed in a straight line because Mr. Park and that Jaejoong guy is acting like they have known each other for a while now.

 

 

“I just wanted to know if she’s okay now,” Jaejoong said, bowing his head as he fiddled with his fingers.

 

 

“Don’t worry, Jaejoong.. She’s doing fine now.”

 

 

Someone cleared his throat that made all heads turn to him. Jiyong can’t help it anymore. He was dying with curisouity. Who is this ‘she’ that Jaejoong guy and Mr. Park is talking about. Are they somehow talking to Mr. Park’s heirs who will be coming to Korea to settle the business in Jeju? Jiyong was lost and so as the other guy.

 

 

“Uhmm. Excuse me, Mr. Park but I’m at lost here.. Who are you talking about?” Jiyong asked.

 

 

Mr. Park chuckled once more as he turned to Jiyong this time. “We’re talking about my daughter…. Well, daughters rather,” Mr. Park said.

 

 

 

“Are they the ones you’re talking about that’ll going to handle the business in Jeju?” the other guy asked.

 

 

“Yes,” Mr. Park replied with a smile.

 

 

“Don’t worry guys.. I’ve met Dara and Bom once.. They have what it takes to run a company..” Mr. Lee said as he patted his son’s shoulders.

 

 

Jiyong was rooted on his spot. Did he heard it right? Did he heard the nerd’s name? Jiyong cracked his brain and tried to remember if the nerd he played with back in college is a daughter of a rich man like Park Jin Young. But as much as he forced himself to remember, he can’t recall any instances that she hinted that she’s rich. In fact, he thought she was in the middle class brocket.

 

 

“Anyways,” Mr. Kwon broke through Jiyong’s reverie as he placed his hands atop of Jiyong’s shoulders. Then, he faced Mr. Park, Mr. Lee and Mr. Kim.. “It was great having business with you my friends, as always.. But my son and I have to go no for we still have work waiting for us in Kwon Corp.”

 

 

“Arasso,” Mr. Kim said as he smiled. “Let’s play golf on Saturday, neh?”

 

 

“Sure,” the three older men echoed.

 

 

And soon, they were all bowing at each other and waving their goodbyes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR’S POV

 

 

 

 

 

“Unnieeeeeeee!” someone from the outside of her room shrieked but Dara’s used to it now. Dara smiled when she thought of her dongsaeng who studied in France but worked in California. She was one of those people who were born with fashion sense thus she because a fashion designer. And with her young age, she is already an owner of a known fashion line in the USA.

 

 

“Aigooooo. Chaerinie..” Dara called the petname she gave to her dongsaeng as soon as the younger girl entered her room. Chaerin immediately went to Dara’s bed and slumped herself on the comfortable mattress. The shopping bags she was holding immediately crashed the ground.

 

 

“I’m so tired, unnie..” Chaerin whined as she closed her eyes tightly.  

 

 

“Did you have fun at the Fashion week in Paris?” Dara had to ask. Chaerin went to Paris last week because she was invited by some prominent people for the Fashion Week in Paris. And seeing Chaerin so tired now, she was sure the younger girl did have fun in Paris.

 

 

“I bought a lot of clothes for you, unnie! I’m sure you’ll like them,” Chaerin said then she sat right up on the bed and collected the shopping bags on the floor. Then she took the clothes one by one and gave it to her Dara unnie.

 

 

“You don’t need to do this, Chaerinie.. I can buy my own clothes,” Dara said after she thanked the younger girl.

 

 

“Aigoooo. I don’t trust you to buy your own clothes, unnie! Because I’m afraid you’ll go back to that hideous skirt and long sleeves you were in when you first came here.. Believe me, unnie. I wanted to stab myself right then and there the moment I saw you,” Chaerin exasperatedly said as she flail her arms, exaggerating her point.

 

 

Dara just had to laugh at her dongsaeng’s cuteness.

 

 

“By the way, unnie.. My parents wanted me to take a vacation and go to Korea.. And knowing that I missed my older brother so much, I agreed to them..” Chaerin said excitedly, then she continued “I talked to Bom unnie before I came barging in.. And she mentioned that you and Bom unnie is going to Korea because of some business! Kyaaaaaaaah!” the younger girl exclaimed excitedly as she jailed her unnie in her tight hug.

 

 

“You’re getting excited over nothing, Chaerin.” Dara said, her smiled slowly fading as she slightly hesitated about going back to Korea.

 

 

“I’m excited because we’re all going to Korea! And I’ll let you meet my brother! I’m sure you will like her, unnie! He’s a hottie, I promise!” Chaerin exclaimed once more, giddy about letting her Dara unnie meet her oppa and excited for a lot of things.

 

 

“Uhuh..” Dara nodded her head as she smiled once more. She, then entangled Chaerin’s arms around her and went to her dresser and put the clothes Chaerin gave her.

 

 

“By the way… What’s your brother’s name? You praise him highly and I would like to google his name to see if he is really what you describe him of,” Dara joked, she doesn’t have any interest about this brother Chaerin is talking about. She was just playing along with her dongsaeng.

 

 

“Uh. No, unnie. I won’t tell you his name. But I’ll tell you his initials!” Chaerin then giggled to herself.

 

 

“K.J.Y” Chaerin said that made Dara to tilt her head on the side.

 

 

“K.J.Y?” Dara said, the letters rolling on her tongue slowly, testing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

A/N: AIGOOOOOOO T_____T Mianhe if this is such a boring chap. Omooooo! PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT.. TELL ME WHAT YOU THINKKKK~~ AIGOOOOOOO T_______________T I'M SLEEPY ALREADY.. 'TIILL NEXT TIME, YEORUBUN! /kiss/