Memories

Your 'not-so' Typical Love Story

 

 

 

 

 

 

JIYONG

 

 

 

 

 

 

I stared at picturesque scenario the night in Seoul represented. The moon was dimly lit as its shadows touched the top of the buildings surrounding the one we owned. The city lights dances as if to entertain me. I shoved my hands on my pocket and once again flickered my eyes towards the calming moon and I wondered, is she looking at the moon too?

 

 

I shook my head and tried to shoo away all the lingering thoughts about her. About Dara. But try as hard as I might, my mind just keeps on visiting the very short memories I shared with her. The memories I took for granted like how I took her for granted.

 

 

And then my heart gave a painful tug inside my chest. Is this my punishment for all the wrong things I had done to her? Is this my punishment for hurting her? If only I had known that Dara will be the one who’ll knock me off my feet.. If only I had known that she’s finally the one who’ll make me fall in love, I would have never hurt her. I would have held on her tight and never let her go. I wouldn’t have made that stupid bet that ruined my chance at love and happiness.

 

 

But then, who I was to know what the future holds? Who was I to know that the woman I had hurt in the past would be the sole reason why I am feeling so incomplete at the present? All those what ifs would never change the now.

 

 

I have finally come to admit to myself that this is all my fault. I should never blame Seungri, who started that bet, because I was the one who agreed to it. I was the one who wormed my way into Dara’s heart and broken it without a backward glance.

 

 

And just as what Bom said to me the last time I saw her, I need to let Dara go. I need to leave Dara alone. Because I have done nothing but hurt her. Though it’s hard to accept, yes all I ever did to Dara was hurt her.

 

 

And with that on my mind while I was on my flight back to Seoul, I decided it is time that I should let Dara have the life she deserved. A life without a constant reminder of how I hurt her back then. I decided to leave her alone though it shatters all of me knowing that I will never have that chance to prove to her that I love her and I don’t intend to hurt her this time.

 

 

I know she’s in London right now, handling their company there. I know she’s happy there. ‘Coz I’ve seen the way she smiled through the pictures when I hired a private investigator to look for her. I’ve seen the way she glows when I came there one time, that time that I was so desperate to just see even just a glimpse of her. And right then and there, I knew leaving her alone would be the best decision for her own sake.

 

 

A knock on my office door returned me back to reality. I turned around and faced the door only to see my secretary come inside with a notepad in her hands.

 

 

“Mr. Kwon, there is a certain Ms. Park wishing to see you,” my secretary announced.

 

 

My heart gave a hopeful leap on my chest hearing that name but I crushed all the silly feelings starting to boil inside me. Dara is not the only one in the whole word with Park as their surname.

 

 

“Do I still have meetings to attend to today?” I asked.

 

 

“No, sir. Your schedule is cleared for the rest of the day, sir,” she said, offering me a small smile.

 

 

“Kindly send Ms. Park in. That would be all, thank you,” I dismissed her politely as I turned my chair and sat comfortably in it. I reached for some of the documents scattered on my desk when I heard the door open.

 

 

“Well… Hello, Jiyong,” said that familiar voice. I snapped my head up and stilled.

 

 

“What? You look like you’ve seen a ghost,” she said then laughed. She walks towards my desk and placed the documents she was holding in front of me.

 

 

“I—I just never anticipated you to be back here in Seoul. I thought you and Seunghyun hyung wanted to stay in California and work out whatever the matters between you two,” I choked out as I flicked my gaze at the documents Bom placed on top of my desk.

 

 

“I can’t take a long vacation because I have so many work waiting for me here,” Bom shrugged then glanced around my office. I was about to ask her what she needs from me when she gasped in shock as she lifted one small frame from the corner of my desk.

 

 

I bolted up to my feet and was about to snatch the frame from her hands when she turned to me, her eyes shooting daggers at me as she held the picture frame for me to see.

 

 

“Is….. I—Is this you and D--Dara?” Bom asked breathlessly as she stared straight into my eyes.

 

 

I snatched the precious thing off her grip, opened my drawer and carefully placed the picture frame inside it. I shot one glare at Bom’s way as I sat down once more, not answering her question.

 

 

“Why do you still have picture of you and Dara together?” Bom asked much to my irritation.

 

 

“Is it wrong for me to still have that picture of us?” I snapped.

 

 

Bom stayed silent for a minute and I could almost swear I can hear her thinking thoroughly about this. After a minute or two, she stared back at me and glared at me for the nth time already.

 

 

“I don’t care that you still have that picture of you and Dara on your drawer but heed my warning, Jiyong. Stay away from my sister. Leave her alone,” Bom gritted out each syllable, emphasizing everything she wanted to me to understand.

 

 

When I didn’t answer, Bom sighed out of irritation as she took a glance at the documents she placed on my table.

 

 

“That papers needed your signature. That’s all,” Bom said as she turned around and left my office, leaving the door to bang loudly as she closed it.

 

 

I sighed and massaged the side of my head as I leaned back on my chair. I turned my chair sideways only to see the drawer where I put the picture. I gently opened it and took the small, square frame and stared at it. Memories of that time came rushing back to me like a tidal wave.

 

 

“Hey,” I nudged at her side only to get a shrug of her shoulders in response.

 

 

“Babe,” I called, knowing that she liked it when I call her that.

 

 

“I’m busy, Jiyong,” Dara replied. Her head bowed down as she buried her head into the book she’s currently studying. She adjusted her frame then scribbled something on her notes before looking back at her book.

 

 

I was starting to feel irritated. Dara is the only girl in this school who can ignore my presence and choose me over that good-for-nothing book. I scowled at no one in particular as I scanned the library, checking if the librarian is looking this way, not that I cared.

 

 

“Babe. Babe. Babe. Babe,” I chanted as I poked her side.

 

 

“Daraaaaaaaaaaaa~” I whined, a little louder than usual.

 

 

She snapped her head away from the book she’s reading and looked at me. I smiled at her seeing her face crunched up in annoyance. I knew she hates being interrupted when she’s studying.

 

 

“What do you want, Jiyong?” she asked, still a little annoyed at me.

 

 

“Just wanted to remind you about our Valentine’s date tomorrow,” I grinned as I circle my arm at her waist.

 

 

She stared at me for longer than usual and I felt something inside me I can’t decipher. I stared back at her, noting the way her chocolate brown orbs gazes into mine. And then she smiled at me and I saw her blush before she focused her gaze elsewhere.

 

 

“I won’t forget about it, Jiyong,” she said.

 

 

“Great,” I murmured then tilted her head as I leaned down, my lips just merely an inch above her own.

 

 

I settled the Polaroid I was holding with my other hand on top of the study table then clicked the shutter as I leaned down and kissed her. Just as soon as the flash went, I stood up from the seat and grinned seeing her all flustered and blushing.

 

 

“Bye, babe,” I said then leaned down once more to place a chaste kiss on her lips then exited the library. Once outside, I smiled wickedly seeing the picture on my hand. Guess my friends have their proof that I am definitely not slacking about that bet.

 

 

 

 

I ran my thumb at the picture. And remembered the how the way her lips felt like against my own.  

 

 

I know I should probably start moving on now. But tonight, let me just reminisce those times I had with her. Let me visit the past and relinguish the feelings I stubbornly ignored then. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DARA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I slumped on my couch with the half-gallon of vanilla ice cream on the pillow on my lap. I flipped through the channels and smiled when I come across a Korean channel. The news was on and it was talking about the economic boost in Korea. The newscaster was talking about the young business man and business woman who surely made a great impact on Korea’s economy.

 

 

Their company was mentioned so as her father’s name and Bom’s and hers. And then the newscaster also mentioned the Kwons and their only heir Jiyong. A footage of him was shown and my heart started beating faster than the normal rate.

 

 

I turned the TV off and opened the ice cream on my lap, scooped a spoonful and ate it with much gusto. I was tired from working too much the whole day that all I could think about the moment I opened my door to my apartment is to indulge myself to some vanilla loving.

 

 

When was the last time I had this heaven-sent dessert? I thought to myself. Then unbeknownst to me, memories starting flooding me that I can’t help but to recall them.

 

 

The side of my eyes are starting to hurt and the back of my neck too. But I ignored those pain as I focused on my paper. I need to finish this tonight so I can review it tomorrow and revise it if it needs revision.

 

 

I was scribbling something down on my note when someone from behind my back covered my eyesight through my glasses. I sighed and lose the pen I was holding then held the hands that was covering my eyes. And by just the feel of him, I already know it’s Jiyong. I slowly unlatched his hands from my eyes as I turned around and smiled at him.

 

 

“What are you doing here?” I asked as I offered the chair beside me. Jiyong sat as he settle the plastic he was holding on top of my desk.

 

 

“I came to visit you, of course,” he said then grinned and I can’t help myself but to fall deeper.

 

 

“I thought you and your friends are going out?”

 

 

“Later,” he murmured then reached for the plastic bag. It turned out to be a tub of vanilla ice cream. He opened the ice cream and scooped a spoonful of it before offering it to me.

 

 

“I’m really not that fond of vanilla,” I said as I shook my head and tried to get the plastic spoon from him so  could make him eat it instead.

 

 

“Just try it. It’s heaven especially when you’re tired from all that paper writing,” Jiyong grinned then kissed me on the lips before offering the spoonful to me once more. “Open,” he nudge my lips with the spoon.

 

 

Knowing that I could never resist this man, I sighed, defeated, and opened my mouth. Jiyong fed me the vanilla ice cream then he scooped another spoonful from to tub then he ate it himself.

 

 

“Hmmmmm,” he hummed. “My favorite,” then he scooped another again and offered it to me. Much as I hated to admit it, I am starting to like vanilla. Because just as what Jiyong had said, it really is heavenly. And also because it is Jiyong’s favorite.

 

 

“So, are you nearly done with your paper?” Jiyong asked as soon as we finished the delightful ice cream. Jiyong produced a bottle of water and handed to me. I took it and murmured a silent thanks which he acknowledge with a smile.

 

 

“Yup, almost done.” I nodded my head as I once again concentrated on my paper works.

 

 

“I should probably get going now. The guys are already waiting for me,” Jiyong said then he stood up.

 

 

“Hmm, okay. Take care, Jiyong,” I said as I stole a quick glance on him only to see him looking down at me.

 

 

“What?” I asked as I wiped the side of my lips, conscious about the way Jiyong is looking at me right now. Is there some ice cream smudges on my face? If there is, aigoo, this is embarrassing.

 

 

Jiyong held my hands in his while his other hand adjusted the glasses resting on the bridge of my nose. Then he bent down and kissed me on the lips. And  the moment our lips touch, I floated around cloud nine.

 

 

“Nah. Vanilla is not my favorite anymore,” he said as soon as he pulled out from our kiss. I furrowed my eyebrow in confusion because I honestly don’t know what Jiyong is talking about right now.

 

 

“My new favorite is your lips. They taste just like vanilla,” he said then grinned, bent his head to kiss me once more before he said goodbye.

 

 

 

 

Unconsciously, my hands went to touch my lips. I glanced at the vanilla ice cream on my lap and muttered a silent curse as I set the vanilla aside as I also set the thought of Kwon Jiyong aside.

 

 

Walking through that memory lane would not help me at all. It would do no good things. I’ve already decided that I am moving on. But why the hell does he keep on appearing on my thoughts?

 

 

I shook my head. Willing myself to bury the memories I had with Kwon Jiyong. Willing myself to never think about him again.

 

 

But as much as I will myself to just forget everything that is associated with Kwon Jiyong, why do I have a feeling that I’ll never win against myself?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys! 

I know it's been awhile since I last updated this one. 

I'm sorry for making you guys wait so long. T__T

School just fried up all my brain cells that I cannot write a single thing during vacation. 

LOVE LOTS, butterflygirl