The Past

My Guardian Angel

Jen and Heechul are strolling around the city. While they are walking, Jen saw a park ahead of them. She also sees a group of children playing a game in the park. This gives her a flashback.

~Flashback~

“Jen, come and play with us!” Donghae shouts over.

“Yeah, Jen! Come and play!” Heechul adds in.

“Okay.” A little girl is excited that two little boys want to play with her.

“Jen, let’s play tag.” Heechul suggested.

“No! I wanna play hide and seek.” Donghae disagrees.

“No, let’s play house!” Another girl says as she approaches to her.

“Yun, we are not girls. We, boys, don’t play house.” Heechul says.

“Oppa, I am a girl too.” Jen says.

“Yeah, but you act like a boy too.” Donghae says.

“I do not.”

“Yes, you do.” He fights back.

“Do not.”

“Do too.”

“Do not.”

“Do too.”

“Okay, let’s play hide and seek.” Yun interrupts them.

Heechul sighs and gives up. “Fine, we will play hide and seek.”

“Who is going to be seeking?” Jen asks.

“Not me.” Donghae says.

“Don’t look at me. I’m going to be the seeker.” Heechul says.

“No way, I am not going to be the seeker.” Yun joins in.

Jen pouts and says, “This is not fair. Why do I always have to be seeker?”

“Awe, don’t be sad. Let’s make a deal.” Donghae said.

“What kind of a deal, oppa?” Yun asks.

“What if the last person who gets to home base will be the next seeker? That means the first and second person to the base are safe no matter if Jen got them or not.” Donghae says.

“Oh, interesting…” Heechul says.

“Okay, that is a good deal. Now we need to find a place to make it our home base.” Jen says.

“What about that tree right there?” Yun asks, pointing to an old oak tree.

“Sure. We can put a ribbon on it. So this time no one can cheat.” Donghae says as he glares at Heechul.

“What? It is not my fault that I can’t tell the difference between the two trees.” Heechul tries to defend himself.

“Oppa, the difference between two trees is that one of the trees has oranges and the other tree has nothing but flowers. How can you not know that the tree with flowers is our home base?” Jen said.

“I’m blind?” Heechul says.

“I totally agree on that one.” Yun says.

“Hey, are we playing or what?” Donghae asks.

“Of course, we are playing.” Jen says as she starts to count to hundred after tying a ribbon on the tree.

“No, cheating.” Heechul whispers into her ears.

“Oppa…!” Jen shouts at him.

“What? I’m just warning you.”

“You better hide or else I’m making you the next seeker.”

“Fine… meanie…”

Jen just sticks out her tongue at him and continues to count to hundred again.

While Jen is counting to hundred by tens, Donghae and Yun are finding a place to hide themselves. Heechul is having a hard time to find a place to hide. Once he figured where to hide, Jen has finished counting.

“Ready or not, here I come!” Jen shouts as she counts to hundred.

“Hey, you cheated! You were counting by tens!” Heechul says.

“Hey, it is not my fault that you are taking forever to find a place to hide.” Jen fights back.

“I did not!”

“Yes, you did!”

“I did not!”

“Yes, you did!”

“I did not!”

Donghae and Yun heard their friends arguing with each other again. They choose to use this time to run to home base without being caught.

“Jen, are you forgetting something?” Heechul suddenly asks.

“What?” Jen asks.

“We are playing a game called hide and seek. If you haven’t notice, you still have to find two other people.” Heechul says.

“No, I don’t.” Jen fights back.

“Yes, you do.”

“No, I don’t because Donghae oppa made up another rule just for me.” Jen says while sticking out her tongue at him.

“Yah, lovebirds! Are you guys done arguing yet?” Yun shouts. She was leaning on the oak tree where they call it home base.

“Yah, you guys cheated!” Heechul shouts.

“No, we didn’t? We are just smart to run to home base while you lovebirds are fighting.” Yun says.

“Yeah, what my sis said.” Donghae did not like the feeling that he is receiving.

“Guess what, oppa?” Jen suddenly says.

“What?” Heechul asks.

“You’re it!” Jen touched him and runs away.

This is how the games changed from hide and seek to tag.

“Yah, come back here!” Heechul shouts as he runs after the others.

~End of Flashback~

Jen heaves a sigh as she remembers their childhood days.

“What’s wrong, Jen?” Heechul asks her in concern.

“Nothing, I’m just remembering about the past.” She answered.

“Oh…” Heechul says in a sad voice.

“I was memorizing our days when we always argue with each other in games such as hide and seek.” Jen says with a smile.

“Hey, you can’t blame me. I was only twelve back then.” Heechul says.

“Yeah, a twelve years-old boy who lost by an eleven year-old girl?” Jen says.

“Whatever…” Heechul could not say anything back because it was true. He would always lose in the arguments between him and the girl whom he falls for.

“Jen, you wanna rest right there?” Heechul says as he spotted a bench.

“Sure.” Jen agrees.

Then they went to the bench and sit down. While sitting down on the bench, Heechul excuse him self to go buy a drink for her. When Heechul left her alone, Jen has another flashback.

~Flashback~

“Oppa, can you meet me at the park?” Jen says over the line.

“Okay, I’ll be there in fifteen minutes.” Donghae replies.

When Jen arrives at the park, she is pacing back and forth while waiting for him. She is very nervous with the bad news that she will be telling Donghae.

“Jenny!” Donghae shouts as he runs over to her.

“Let’s sit down, first.” Jen says as she sits on the bench.

“Okay?” Donghae is feeling weird about his girlfriend’s behavior.

Jen takes a deep breathe in, and then she lets it out.

“What’s wrong, babe?” Donghae asks.

“Oppa, I have something to tell you.” Jen begins.

“Okay, tell me. I’m here for you if anything happens.” He replies.

“Let’s break up.” She has finally said what is in her mind.

“What! Why?” Donghae is shock.

“I’m sorry, oppa. But this is not working out between us.” She lied.

“What! No, I do not believe you! You are lying to me.” Donghae is beginning to feel hurt.

“I’m telling you the truth. I do not love you as much as I thought.” Jen tries to hold onto the tears in front of him. She does not want to cry in front of him.

“Jen, tell me what is going on. I do not believe in that bull that you just told me.”

Jen sighs and lowers a head. Then she softly says, “I’m moving.”

“What! Where are you moving? What about school?”

“I’m moving to America. I will be continuing my education there.”

“When are you leaving?” Donghae is heartbroken now.

“On Friday morning…”

“What! That is so fast.”

“I’m sorry. Please forget about me.”

“No! I won’t!” He is mad at her when he heard that she wants him to forget about her.

“Oppa, I don’t know if I will ever come back. Please, just forget about me.” Jen begged.

“Fine, if that is what you want. Then I will.” Donghae is now pissed at her.

“Good because I will be forgetting about you too.” Jen adds fire into his wound.

“Fine, go ahead and forget about me! I do NOT need you! Go! Leave and have fun in America!” Donghae says and walks away from her.

Once Donghae is far away from her, she falls down on her knees and cries.

“I’m sorry. Please forgive me. I can’t hold onto you when I’m miles away from you.” She cries.

~End of Flashback~

Jen looks up at the sky, looking at the birds flying up above.

“I wish I could turn back the time and erase everything I said. I didn’t mean any of it.” She mutters.

“Hey, what are you muttering about?” Heechul asks as he hands her a bottle of water.

“Nothing…” She says.

“Are you sure? You have been really quiet since we missed class.” He is worried about her.

“I’m fine, oppa. Please do not worry about me. I’m a big girl now.”

“Of course, you are.”

“Oppa, why do you love me?” Jen suddenly asks.

“Do you really need a reason for loving someone?” He answers her question with a question.

“No.”

“Then why are you asking me the question?”

“I’m just curious.”

“Jen, true love comes unexpectedly. I did not ask for this feeling. It just comes as I spent my days with you. This is what I call true love.”

“Even if it might be a one-sided love?”

“Even if it is a one-sided love, I still call it true love.”

‘Awe, he is a sweet guy.’ Jen thought as she smiles to herself.

“Want to go home now?” Heechul asks.

“Can we stay here a little bit longer?” Jen asks.

“Of course, we can.” He smiles at her.

“Thanks.”

“No problem, my love.” He mutters.

While they are sitting down and enjoying the nice breeze that day, Heechul has a flashback when he first heard the terrible news.

~Flashback~

“Hyung, she’s leaving.” Donghae cried.

“What do you mean she is leaving?” Heechul asks.

“She says that she is moving to America.”

“What! Why?”

“I don’t know. She did not tell me. All she said that she is moving to America to continue her education.”

“What is going to happen to your relationship?”

“Hyung, it’s over. It is over between us. She broke up with me.”

“What!”

“Hyung, what do I do?” He asks.

“When is she leaving? I’ll try to talk it out with her.” Heechul says.

“It is too late. She left already.” Donghae lowers his head.

“What! When did she left?”

“Yesterday…”

“What! And you just tell me this now?”

“Sorry.”

Heechul sighs.

“Hyung, I want to transfer school.” Donghae suddenly said.

“What! Why?”

“I can’t go to the same school anymore. Everywhere I go, I picture us together. Hyung, do you know how much it hurts to realize that the person you love is not here with you?”

Heechul just sighs again.

“Hyung, do you wanna transfer with me?”

“Where are you transferring too?”

“Yun says that she has a friend who is attending Seoul Middle School. She told me that her friend’s mom can help us transfer there.” Donghae says.

“What did your parents say?”

“They agree to my decision.”

“Oh, I don’t know. Let me think about it.”

“Okay. We are going to transfer on Monday though.”

“What! Why so fast?”

“The faster I get to transfer, the faster I can move on.”

“You’re being ridiculous.”

“I am not. You know what she told me when she broke up with me?”

“What?”

“She says that she will forget about me while she is in America. She also begged me to forget her. So tell me now, what can I do if I stay in the same school where we have memories of each other?”

“Ouch… she adds in the fire into your wound, didn’t she?”

“Hell yeah, she did. She thinks it is easy to forget the person you love deeply.”

“I know. I know, but you have to understand why she is doing this.”

“How can I, hyung? How can I understand her when she does not tell me what is wrong? She likes to keep things to herself. She rather hurts herself than others.”

“That’s true.”

“So, are you transferring with us or not?” Donghae changed the subject back because he does not want to think about it.

“I’ll talk to my uncle about it.”

“I don’t think you need to. I think my parents have taken care of it.”

“Oh… okay. I guess I am in then.”

“Great! I can’t wait to see how nice our new school is going to be.” Donghae says excitedly.

“Yeah…”

“Meeting new friends would be great also, right hyung?”

“You want to make more friends?”

“Of course…”

“We’ll see. Hopefully, our classmates are friendly and easy to get along.” Heechul says.

~End of flashback~

Heechul heaves a sigh as he remembered that day when his best friend, Donghae was heartbroken.

Jen was sitting beside Heechul all this time, knew that he is also space out. She did not want to bother him, so she stays quiet.

“Jen…” Heechul suddenly speaks.

“Yes?”

“Why did you break up with Donghae?” He asks.

“Oh, um… That is because I have to move to America.”

“Are you sure that is the only reason?”<