First day of Work

Youngjae OneShots

I walked through the busy streets of Seoul. I sped up my pace because I was already late. I could lose the best spot. As I rushed through the streets my camera and my ID bounced in front of my chest. I held on to my black fedora and prayed that my shoe laces wouldn't untie at this moment. I got the task assigned late, and they needed a replacement, and that was me. What I didn't expect was that it was going to be so far from the offices. I look once again at the small piece of paper they gave me with the address.

I look around hoping that this is the place. This is where they said. I give a couple of steps forward and my mind goes crazy when I listen to screaming fangirls holding signs.

Perfect... This is it...

I walked between the crowds of girls who were now glaring at me... This is exactly why I should've arrived earlier, to avoid the fangirls that wish to be in.

I walk up to the security guard who asks for my ID. From all the running my ID got tucked under my sweater so I showed it to him.

"Fan Base Photographer"
­_____ Parks


He gave me a nod in approval and opened the door. I could hear the fangirls behind me whining. What for them was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Mine was a chance to get extra money for the rent and food. It was hard living alone in a place far from home, especially when things didn't go as planned.

How I got this job you may ask? Well I got pretty lucky I guess. I was in a desperate look for money for my rent and I searched everywhere I got the chance. I had taken photography courses, so applying for this job was very appropriate. It was a fan base, but they had a connection with the entertainment company the group was from. It was a pretty well known fan base, so it was expected to take the best pictures of the group, or if it was specified of a member in specific, that last being my task this day. Since I was the new ‘kid’ as I was often referred, I was positioned as a replacement photographer only to be called when they needed, which was today.

I am not what you would call a fan of the group, and I made that very clear when I applied for the job. But I promised I was willing to take the best pictures, that and I showed them a couple of past projects and that convinced them to hire me.

So I finally reached the fan sign event. I take the camera in my hand and announce to one of the security guards inside of my job. He nodded and pointed at the front of the group of people including a lot of photographers like myself. I reach my spot and begin to look at the group of 6 boys in the table. I finally spot the one... Yoo Youngjae.

 

Like I said, I am not a fan, but from all the information and training I got before I came here I could pretty much say with all confidence that I know many things about him. For example his good side, his best pose, his aegyo poses and more. They even told me which pictures I should avoid to make the shots be worthwhile. Our goal was to have the best quality pictures of the boys. Or in my case of Youngjae.

I finally took my first picture of him signing an album of a fan. I glance to my left and see the security guard talking to someone from the staff inside. I ignore that and continue looking at Youngjae to see when to take a picture. I raise my camera up ready, and see the same staff member talking to him and pointing at me. He looked my way and I see him smile. He tilts his head and then looks down writing something. I take the chance and take the shot at that moment. I liked that one, he looked really nice. Then he looked up and took a glance at where I was and called the staff member again and gave him a piece of paper. I open my eyes widely when I saw the staff member walking towards me. He held the piece of paper out. And I look at him in disbelief and he said:
"This is for you."

He gave me a smile and I grabbed it with both my hands and bowed. I unfold it and see written in hangul.

"Hey! You're pretty late... You must be new, right?
(It's okay though! Don't worry. Just look at me often I'll help you get my best side.)"


I look up at him and he held his fist up. He mouthed "fighting". And kept the same position. It took me seconds to realize that he was posing for me. I grabbed my camera and took a shot. He smiled and made a peace sign. I smiled and took the picture and waved at him. He waved back and I took a picture.

He would sometimes wink at me, do hearts with his fingers, and then mouth at me to make sure I got it. He would also just smile at me. His band mates would sometimes nudge him and they would interact with each other. And I made sure I got it all in camera.

And that’s how the photo shoot went. For this to be my first time, I didn’t feel scared at all. All I needed was to look his way and he was right there doing the work. He really made it easier for me.

It was almost the end of the fan sign. And I was taking my last pictures. I was starting to feel bad that this was ending. It was really fun and Youngjae was such a sweetheart even if it was just from afar that I met him. I looked at him pouting and waved goodbye, I saw him furrow his eyebrows and put his hand up motioning me to wait. I looked at him who was once writing something down and saw him call the staff member again. He gave him the paper and said something to his ear. The staff member gave him a smirk and Youngjae smiled and punched his arm playfully. I keep my eye on the man that was now walking towards me and held the paper and something else in hand. I take it and bow. He gave a slight chuckle and said:
"See you soon!"

I look at him and back at the paper. I unfold it carefully and I see a VIP pass. I look at what the paper said:

"Don’t even think of going away without showing me the photos. I got to make sure you got the best shots ;) Meet me backstage… See you soon! ^_^”