Hear Me

Youngjae OneShots

Omo it's been more than a month since I don't write a one shot guys... I'm sorry for neglecting you. I just, everything that I wrote I didn't feel like it was good enough to post. Plus I've been sick and it's really been taking my energy.

But... Today I made an exception because I was really feeling like writing this one shot.

I hope you guys like it. It's quite long, but I'm hoping you read it until the end. Please? (:

 

I gave the girl a name this time... I felt like it was necessary.

Enjoy

 

--

He walked on the sidewalk after a long day of studying; it was almost a routine he had gotten used to since he began his studies. Holding on to the strap of his back pack he tried to squish in between the people, sometimes even bumping into some of them. Small shy apologies escaped his lips as he tried to gain some distance, the comfort of his home being his only goal at the moment.

He passed by a small kiosk, so he decided to stop a moment to refresh himself a little with a beverage. As he waited for someone to attend him, he looked to his side and spotted a girl next to him. Her hair fell to the side of her face, and the only thing he could see was part of her nose and lips. Surreptitiously he leaned forward and took a quick glance at the girl next to him.

She looked down to her bag that was placed in the counter and searched for something, until she turned to the side where the boy who was standing next to her quickly averted his sight forward. She observed him until he looked at her first with the corner of his eye and she smiled and turned forward when something was placed in front of her.

“Here’s your order Agassi.” –The ajumma said as she put the bag in the counter.

The young girl held out the money to the lady and took the bag closer to her.

“Kamsahanida…” –Her voice sounded softly almost inaudible, and she bowed slightly.

She turned to the young man next to her and bowed again before turning around to leave. Youngjae gave one last glance at the girl as she turned around, but the sound of something falling caught his attention. Down almost next to him he spotted the wallet of the young girl who had left.

“How may I help you?” –The ajjuma asked as he looked desperately to the way the girl had left and back at the lady.

“Sorry, I’ll be back again soon...” –He said as he held on tight to her wallet.

He turned around and now could only see the crowd of people walking, but she was nowhere in sight. Again he rushed through the people until he spot her.

“Excuse me Miss…” –He screamed at the girl who kept walking in the distance.

He quickly opened the wallet to look for her name as he quickened his steps.

“Miss Kim!” –He called louder, but she didn’t stop nor turn around.

Again he ran faster until he reached her. He tapped on her shoulder making her turn around. The girl was astonished when she laid eyes on the agitated boy who tried to recover his breath.

“You… Dropped… Your wallet…” –He said between breaths and he held it up with his two hands.

She starred at the boy who made eye contact with her as she looked at him with trembling eyes. She eased when she realized he was holding her own wallet, she quickly glanced at her bag and immediately reacted.

“Omo, I dropped it.” –She told herself as she took it with both hands.

She put it back on her bag quickly and made sure she secured it this time. He had finally stood straight and eased his breathing. Looking back at him with a sincere smile she bowed 90 degrees as thanks for returning the lost object.

“Kamsahamnida!” –She spoke up.

He noticed she had a different accent, but thought it would seem rude to ask just like that.

“Aniya, it’s really no problem.” –He said waving his hand and shaking his head.

She stood straight when his hand was in front of her face and gave another wide smile. “Thanks!”

He grinned when he saw her smiling. “It was really nothing, just the right thing to do.”

She opened her purse and he observed her, she took out her wallet and started to rummage in it. She only had a small amount of money in it. He was about to stop her when she held some money in her palm.

“It’s really not necessary…” –He said as he put her hand with the money back.

“But you ran, all the way here…” –She tried to reason.

He closed her hand with the money and gave her an honest grin. “You may need that money than I do. Just keep it.”

She starred at him; it was interesting to him how she seemed to pay close attention when he spoke. She seemed like a very bright girl. Something in her pocket began to vibrate, and she took it out.

“Omo… I’m late!” –She spoke up a bit louder. Again she bowed at him. –“Thanks again so much!”

In a matter of seconds she turned around.

“Wait, before you go… Why don’t we meet… up, another day…” –He managed to say but she had already left.

He heaved a sigh, she was already to distant. But still he smiled thinking of such nice encounter. I hope she’s around often…

--

The next day again he left his studies and walked through the same crowded street. The place seemed to get more crowded by the minute, and it seemed like he was taking more and more time to get home. It was also getting a little warm by the amount of people walking close by. He reached the same place he had met her the day before, so he decided to pass by again.

A smile played on his lips when he recognized her back standing in front of the counter. He cleared his throat and adjusted his clothes and the strap of his backpack that went across his torso. Putting his hands on his pockets he gave a couple of playful steps until he stood next to her.

“So we meet here again, huh? I guess this is a good place to eat…” –He said looking to his right and then to his left where she was standing.

She didn’t answer, but she looked to her side.

“Oh, anneonghasaeyo!” –She bowed slightly using only her head.

She looked up at him, and he grinned copying her gesture. “Anneonghasaeyo Ms. Kim… Gayun?”

Tilting her head she asked confused. “How do you know… Um… My name?”

He smiled and said. “Yesterday, when I was searching for you, I had to look for your name so I could call you.”

Opening in an ‘o’ shape she nodded her head slowly.

“I’m Yoo Youngjae, nice to meet you.” –He held his hand out for her to shake.

She slowly held out hers and shook it, she grinned a little and made eye contact with him again.

“Nice to meet you too.”

“Ms. Kim Gayun… Your order is ready.” –A lady put a tray of food in front of her.

Youngjae looked to the counter and back at her when she didn’t answer. “Your food is ready.”

She quickly glanced to the side and averted her eyes to the lady. “Oh, sorry. Thank you!”

Gayun paid the money and bowed in thanks.

“So I see you’re going to eat here today…” –Youngjae said.

She put her wallet back on her bag and closed it. Again she looked back at Youngjae. “I’ll see you around… Young…” –She stopped half way.

“Jae… Youngjae.” –He helped her finish with a smile.

“Nae. Young Jae-ssi.” –She took her tray and gave a nod, and walked pass him.

 

--

 

“Mind if I sit here?” –He asked cautiously.

Her head shot up as he put his tray down.

“Hey!” –She said happily.

“Mind if I give you some company?” –He asked again differently.

“Sure! Why not? Either way I’m almost finished.” –She replied not keeping her eyes from him.

“You sure are a fast eater…” –He said in a playful tone as he sat down.

“I need to, if I want to arrive early.” –She said as she tapped with a napkin.

He looked down and gave thanks for the food, to which she smiled and then faced her. “Where are you off to now? If I may know.”

She nodded and intertwined her fingers resting her chin on top of them. “I’m off to study now; I’m sort of a late day student.”

He looked down at his tray she leaned down a little. “Oh, that’s why yesterday you were in such a rush.”

She only hummed and nodded, he looked up at her. “I see you’re not a person of many words.”

He said sweetly.

“I only speak when it’s necessary, I don’t believe you need too many words to express yourself.”

He nodded and wagged his finger at her. “I agree with you completely.”

She didn’t answer she just stared at him as if she was waiting for him to continue. “Do I have food on my face?” –He asked self consciously.

She shook her head quickly. “No, Um… I didn’t mean to stare, I just thought you were going to say something else…” –She moved her eyes to the side a little flustered.

“It’s okay…”

“Well I have to leave now…” –She said averting her eyes to him.

He quickly swallowed when he saw her picking up her bag from her side.

“Wait…” –He touched her arm getting her attention immediately.

She was a little taken aback by his action and he noticed. He slowly moved his hand away.

“Sorry… I was just wondering…” –He paused and took a small breath. –“Maybe, we can have each other’s number…”

Her face seemed surprised by his question.

“You want my number?”

“Yes… May I?” –He asked softly. –“I don’t want to be straight forward, but, you seem like a nice girl. And I bet we could be good friends.”

She sat back in her previous spot and hesitated but eventually pulled out her phone. He did the same and they traded for a moment their cell phones.

“Can- Can I call you… Sometime?”

Nodding softly she smiled a little. “Sure!”

Youngjae felt at ease when he saw her sincere smile. “I- uh… Have to go now.” –She spoke softly.

“Talk to you soon.” –He waved goodbye at her.

Youngjae sat back in his chair and kept his eyes on her until she disappeared from sight. He looked at his cell phone where her name read Kim Gayun.

--

That same night he walked from one side to another of his small apartment room. His phone moved from one hand to another.

Should I call her…? Is it too early for me to call her?

He sat down on his bed staring at his screen where he had her number. His finger hovered in the little green phone next to it.

If I do, what should I say…

This is harder than I thought…

Youngjae plumped himself on his bed with his arms extended to the sides. He closed his eyes and kept thinking about it, about her.

What if she thinks I am not interested in any way?

We’re friends aren’t we? We did talk two days straight; we did have dinner together… She’s the only reason I ate at that time there. I’m going to call her, forget it.

Taking his phone in a tight grip he sat straight and finally pushed the button. He felt a ticklish feeling on the top of his stomach as he tapped with the other hand his thigh.

“The number you’ve reached is not…” –He hung up the call with a sigh.

Guess I’ll have to call her some other time then…

Youngjae adjusted himself in the bed getting ready to give a last review at his books and put his phone to the sight. As he kept reading, he would sometimes glance at the phone waiting for the screen to turn on. That kept on and on until his eyes and mind gave up on him.

--

The next morning he woke up feeling something hard on his cheek. He got up slowly the hard cover sticking to the side of his face. Youngjae noticed he had fallen asleep on top of the book he was studying and the back ache he was feeling was intense because of the horrible posture he had lied on.

Yawning he looked to his side to check his phone. Something other than the time caught his eye, and it was a little envelope on the top side of the screen.

His heartbeat became unsteady wondering if it was her.

From: Kim Gayun

Hey! I’m so sorry I couldn’t pick up your call, I was still studying. When I finally got the chance it was late. You’re probably sleeping… I hope I don’t wake you up. We’ll talk later okay?

He smiled as he read the entire message; he couldn’t shake off the idiotic grin he had plastered in his face. It was already early in the morning and it was time for him to get ready for another day at college.

To: Kim Gayun

It’s okay! I figured you were busy so I didn’t call again. I just wanted to talk to you since whenever we talk you have to leave quickly. But as you said, we can do that later. Have a nice day! (:

He typed and sometimes he deleted and typed again. He didn’t want to seem overly friendly or too distant so he hesitated to choose the right words. After he finally felt sure with what he had typed, he hit send.

There was something about that girl that sparked his curiosity; somehow he wanted to find out more about her. And he couldn’t wait for her answer.

 

--

 

Later at lunch time Youngjae found himself in one of the restaurants nearby his college. As he ate his phone began to ring, almost out of instinct he immediately searched for it.

From: Kim Gayun

You’re right! We haven’t gotten to talk much yet. But it’s okay since we just met a couple days ago. Since we haven’t gotten to speak much face to face, how about we text until next time? Is that okay with you?

He was about to answer quickly, but he stopped and thought. Would that make me seem desperate?

Youngjae typed the answer, but pressed send after a couple of minutes. That to him seemed considerable.

To: Kim Gayun

Yes! It’s okay with me! I’m having lunch at this time, so I have some spare time. How about you?

He put his phone next to his plate and kept eating.

From: Kim Gayun

Same here, I’ll go back to work after I finish, but until then I’m free.

 

To: Kim Gayun

You work and study? Woah! I can barely manage with my studies without breaking apart. I really admire you Ms. Kim.

 

From: Kim Gayun

Haha! I’m not that great, I just need to cover my necessities and that’s it. It’s something I must do.

He bit his lips while reading the message, he was quite impressed.

To: Kim Gayun

You’re quite an independent girl aren’t you? I’m feeling more curious about you as we speak.

 

From: Kim Gayun

I’m not really that interesting.

Youngjae was taken a little aback by her answer, he felt like there was something upsetting her.


To: Kim Gayun

Don’t underestimate yourself! You seem like a great person. If not, I wouldn’t want to know more about you.

After he sent the message he felt a little uneasy, as if he did something wrong. Several minutes later he received a response.

From: Kim Gayun

Really? What if what you thought about me isn’t what I really am…

He was again sort of surprised by her reply.

To: Kim Gayun

What do you mean?

 

From: Kim Gayun

Can we meet today at the same time we have the past days? I’ll let you know then. I have to go back to work now, see you later.

 

To: Kim Gayun

Alright, see you then.

After he sent the reply he kept thinking about her, what could she possibly have to tell him that she was so worried about?

 

--

Once he finished with all his classes he rushed out of the building and made his way to meet her. After she sent him that message she’s been invading his mind constantly. The kiosk was finally in sight and she stood there with her back facing him.

“Hey! Gayun-ssi?” –He said but she didn’t answer.

He walked next to her and took a glimpse at her face, she seemed down. Tapping her shoulder he called her name again.

“Oh you’re here already!” –She smiled a little.

“Of course… What is it that you have to tell me? I’m kind of worried.”

She furrowed her eyebrows. “I’m so sorry for making you worry like that…”

“Is quite alright, just tell me…”

“How about we sit down first? I still need to have some dinner before I leave.”

--

They sat together in the same table they had shared the other day. She sat with her fingers intertwined in her lap. Gayun felt as if she may be was over reacting, but at the same time a strong fear ran in her veins.

She looked down at her hands as she played with her thumbs, until a hand was waved in her face.

“Gayun-ssi. Are you alright?”

She nodded. “Ye, I’m fine. Is just I was over thinking something. I mean, it may not be a big deal for others, but it is for me.”

“Are you going to tell me what is worrying you so much?” –He asked straightforwardly with concern.

She nodded softly.

“I am...” –She took a sigh, but as soon as Youngjae was about to speak she spoke up. –“Youngjae? Are you sure you don’t know?”

“Know what?” –He asked confused.

“You really haven’t noticed, have you?” –Gayun looked straight to his face.

“Notice what?”

“That, I can’t… I can’t hear.” –She said with fear evident in her tone.

“Sorry?” –Youngjae couldn’t quite catch what she meant.

“That I’m deaf.” –She spoke almost in a whisper.

Youngjae sat with his mouth agape. He was taking some time to process what she said. And he started to connect the dots of everything that seemed quite strange since he met her.

“You must be disappointed, huh?” –She said lowering her sight.

His finally reacted when he heard her, so he lifted her chin for her to face him.

“No… Why would I be?” –He spoke clearly.

She took his hand from her chin. “I don’t mean you, it’s just that… Some people when they find out that I’m hard of hearing, they kind of always put me aside. I sometimes prefer not telling certain people because I’m tired of them judging me. Some people think I’m unable to do some things as if I were incapacitated, which I am not.” –Gayun spilled her heart to him. -"They always treat me differently, and most of the time they don't take me seriously."

He gave her a small grin. “Everything that you've told me about you makes you even more strong and amazing to my eyes Gayun-ssi.”

She paid attention to his lips as he spoke. “You… Think so?” –She spoke softly.

He nodded. “Now I’m even more curious about you… After all we talked the past days and you seemed to understand quite well.” –He leaned forward giving her all the attention.

“I learned to read lips from a young age, which also helped me to learn to speak. I know sign language as well, but I don’t tend to use it around hearing people because some may feel uncomfortable if I do so.”

“Really…! I don’t think you should feel uncomfortable expressing yourself in your own language. Aren’t there English speaking people among us?" –He paused a moment and continued. –“How about this? If it makes you comfortable why don’t you use sign language when you’re around me… Maybe I can learn a little and get to speak to you in your own language.”

She stared at him momentarily and then reacted. “Really?”

Gayun beamed with happiness when he said that. It was really rare that someone manifested any kind of interested in her culture, and that made her feel at ease. As the conversation carried on, the both of them felt more at ease with each other as if they were friends who hadn’t met in a long time.

 

--

Several Months Later

 

They were both sitting in the balcony of his apartment watching the stars together. He had his arm wrapped around her and her head fell right under his jaw line. She felt the vibration on her head as he spoke something and his free hand move in front of her and she looked up.

“What is it?” –She signed for him.

“Do you want something to drink?” –He signed for her.

After they had met that one day, they kept meeting each other and eventually he learned her language so they could understand each other.

“No, not really… I’m good.” –She answered.

They stared at each other for a moment and again she signed.

“Youngjae… There’s something I have been wondering for a while now.”

He tilted his head and responded. “What is it?”

“How does your voice sound?” –She signed.

He chuckled. “It’s really deep and strong just like me.” –He signed with a huge smirk.

She hit him playfully in his arm. “Stop it… I’m serious.”

“Well I am too.” –He answered not being able to hold his laugh.

“You don’t seem like the kind of guy to have that kind of voice yeobo.” –She replied.

She put her hand on his neck right below his ear, and he looked at her.

“Speak.” –She said out loud.

He didn’t say anything and she spoke again. “Say something...”

Youngjae spoke up normally. “What did I do to deserve someone as amazing as you?” –He said clearly.

She grinned a little as she read each word and she kept her hand in the same place.

“It must be nice to get to hear your voice…” –She said not keeping her eyes away from him.

He looked at her with tenderness as he saw the regret in her eyes. Youngjae signed to get her attention.

“Look at me… I don’t need spoken words to talk to you so you understand me; I don’t need to speak up for you to hear me… And I most definitely don’t need to speak for you to know… How much you mean to me.” –He signed.

Her eyes began to tear up and she pressed her lips into a thin line.

“You mean the world to me…” –She replied. –“Thanks for appearing in my life and staying here… For not judging me or leaving me, I’m really thankful.”

Youngjae grinned and pressed his forehead to hers. He kissed her lips softly.

“I love you just the way you are…” 

 

 

 


 

You guys should know that I wrote this because I've been interested in the deaf/hard of hearing culture for a while now. I've learned a little ASL and I've had the chance to interact with deaf people. And something I really believe is that everyone deserves the chance to be heard and express themselves using their own language. And it's amazing to see how deaf people react when they see hearing people speaking to them in their own language. The feeling is just amazing!

I still need to learn more about them, so if any of you have any knowledge on this topic I'll gladly listen.

I know there's many differences between the ASL And the Korean Sign Language, so I researched a bit online and based this one shot in my previous knowledge. But I apologize for any mistake. This one was quite a tedious one to write. But I really enjoyed writing it! (:

 

Hope you enjoyed this quite long one shot! (:

 

Thanks for waiting patiently, and I hope to improve more on my writing. I feel like it's still a bit rusty.

And Welcome to the new subscribers! <3