More Than Meets The Eye

Mission Impossible: Operation Steal Kim Myungsoo's Heart

 

Yoojung's POV
 
Light passing through my window woke me up from my deep sleep. I slowly opened my eyes and stretched. I looked at the clock on my bed side table.
 
9:00 am, February 13, Sunday.
 
If today is february 13, then tomorrow is february 14 which means its…
 
Valentines Day.
 
"I should really get something for Myungsoo oppa." I thought to myself as I got out of bed. All of a sudden, a really important question popped into my mind.
 
Should I confess? 
 
I know I should definitely get him something, but confess? What if he gets really creeped out? We're just about to become friends and then all of a sudden I confess? 
 
Aigoo Kim Yoojung, you have such bad timing.
 
After almost half an hour of contemplation, which left my mind really ed, I have come up with a conclusion.
 
I won't confess tomorrow. The odds are just not in my favor. 
 
~next day~
 
"Even if it took me practically the whole day to make this, its all worth it." I thought to myself, staring at the pretty pink box in my hands. I hope Myungsoo oppa will like it. Inside, theres a card, 100 paper hearts and stars and a dozen chocolate chip cookies. If I can't confess now, I might as well give him an awesome gift. 
 
I looked kinda stupid, standing alone next to Myungsoo oppa's locker, but I wanted to give it to him first thing in the morning. Maybe I'll be able to get him to smile.
 
The school had a different feel to it today. The hallways were full of balloons and flowers, lockers were bombarded with pink and red post its and everywhere you went, you could either smell the scent of freshly baked cookies or fresh flowers. I like it. 
 
I looked to my right, and saw Myungsoo oppa walking towards me. I waved and he waved back.
 
"I can't believe we're somewhat friends!!" I mentally squealed to myself.
 
"Good morning Myungsoo oppa." I said. 
 
"Good morning. Whats with the pink box?" he asked. 
 
Okay Yoojung. You can do this. Be brave. This is for him. 
 
"Well, uhm. Today is Valentines day, so this pink box is actually for you." I said and handed him the box. I could feel my cheeks heating up. "Consider this like a thank you gift. You've been such a good person to me and words can't express how grateful I am. I'm really lucky to have you in my life." 
 
Crap. Did I just say that?? That sounded so cheesy!! What if he thinks I'm confessing? Oh god you're in for it now Yoojung. You just ruined your chances big time.
 
Myungsoo's POV
 
"…I'm really lucky to have you in my life." 
 
Am I hearing this correctly? Did she just say that? 
 
I could feel my heart going wild in my chest. I've had girls give me valentines day gifts before, but this is the first time my heart did that. 
 
I stretched my hands out to accept her gift when suddenly the gift was grabbed out of Yoojung's hands and thrown on the ground. We turned to face the who did it and I wasn't even surprised when I saw that girl who punched Yoojung in the face about a week or two ago standing there. 
 
"Oh what is this? Do I see a new romance blossoming in front of me? How sweet." she cackled and stomped on the cookies. I turned to Yoojung, who's tears were on the verge of spilling. 
 
I couldn't help but ball my fists and grit my teeth. This girl has really got some nerve.
 
"Oh and whats this? A letter?" she said and picked up the letter. 
 
Before she could even open the letter, I swiped it from her grasp, grabbed Yoojung's wrist and made a run for it. We ran as fast we could away from her, away from the stares. I would've snapped at her if I stayed there longer. 
 
When I reckoned we were far enough away from that , I turned to face Yoojung. Tears stained her pale cheeks and her eyes were red. My heart hurt for her. Why would anyone want to hurt her?
 
We sat down at a nearby bench and just sat together in silence. It wasn't an awkward silence though. Silence was all she needed right now.
 
I looked at the letter that was still in my hands. Should I read it now? From the corner of my eye, I could see Yoojung deep in thought, so I guess it would be alright if I did read it now. 
 
Dear Myungsoo Oppa,
 
Happy Valentines Day. I know were aren't really close friends, but I hope to be someday. 
 
"She only wants to be friends?… Wait, what the hell am I thinking? God myungsoo, just read the damn letter!!" I thought to myself and continued reading.
 
This box contains cookies (I hope you like chocolate chip ^___^) and 100 paper hearts and stars. I know it isn't much, but I hope you like it. Where do I start? Well first, I'd like to say thank you. You've helped me countless times and all I brought you was trouble. Thank you for sticking up for me against evil fangirl, for patching me up when they broke me. Thank you for helping me when I fainted. (I bet I was such a burden to you then :( ) Also, thank you for giving Minri that really nice birthday present. She loved it so much. I'm very lucky to have you in my life. Don't worry, I'll find a way to repay you one day. So once again, Happy Valentines Day.
 
Love,
    Yoojung
 
After reading the letter, my heart was beating faster than ever. I put my hand to my chest. My heart was doing backflips again. 
 
I turned to face Yoojung, who had her face in her hands, obviously crying. She looked up and shifted her gaze towards me.
 
"Mianhae oppa. That girl just ruins everything." she said, tears threatening to fall again.
 
I couldn't take it anymore. Seeing her like this hurt too much. I scooted closer to her and held her in my arms, my hand her hair. 
 
"Don't cry anymore Yoojung-ah. Just forget her." I comforted, still her hair. 
 
We stayed like that for a few minutes, just her crying out her pain and me comforting her.
 
"Yoojung-ah, gomawo."
 
"For what?" she looked up at me and asked.
 
"Your letter was touching. Of course we can be friends. I'll always be here to protect you Yoojung-ah. Don't forget that."
 
"Gomawo oppa. You saved me. Again." she said and wiped her tears. 
 
"Aigoo, your eyes are red and swollen. Want me to get you ice?" I asked.
 
"Oppa, can you keep a secret?" she asked, looking around to see if people would be able to hear her.
 
"Of course. What is it?" I asked. I'm curious, why did she want to share a secret all of a sudden?
 
"Promise not too judge me…" she mumbled, fiddling with the hem of her shirt.
 
"I promise. You can tell me."
 
"Well, uhm… How do I say this? This…" she said and gestured to her eyes, "… isn't my real eye color."
 
She took off her colored contacts and revealed beautiful green eyes. I could't help but stare into them. They were just so damn beautiful.
 
"The kids in the States bullied me about it all the time. They thought my eye color was fake since I look more Korean than I look American. My dad is American you see, and we have the same eye color… But I look more like my umma. Thats why when I was old enough to wear contacts, I started wearing these brown ones. I thought when I moved back to Korea, kids would bully me about it too, so I continued wearing them. I think thats why my eyes are red right now. My contacts are dry." 
 
Once again, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. What is wrong with kids in our generation? Bullying people on these kinds of things. Its just… so damn frustrating.
 
"Please don't tell anyone oppa. You're the only one who knows. Besides my parents."
 
"I won't. But you shouldn't hide your real eyes anymore Yoojung. They're really something." I said and just stared into them. I couldn't resist, I couldn't help myself. 
 
"Maybe I will someday, but not now." she replied. 
 
She brought eye drops out of her pocket and put her contacts back on. I hated to see those beautiful green eyes go.
 
RIIIIIIIIING 
 
"We better get back to class oppa." Yoojung said, blushing a little.
 
We eventually had to go our separate ways, since we had different classes to go to.
 
"Thanks again oppa." Yoojung said, gave me a shy smile, and she turned around to go to her next class.
 
There is a lot more to Yoojung than meets the eye. 
 

Evil fangirl strikes again ouo