Decisions

Mistaken

   Walking into a fancy resturant, Nikki is amazed at the place. When they walked inside, the lights were dim around the whole place, with  lit candles around creatinga romantic feeling in the atmosphere. The waiter gestured his hand, motioning them to follow him to their seats. Nikki walked behind the waiter, looking around the resturant, still amazed at the resturant Derek picked for dinner. 'Good thing Derek told me to dress formal.' thought Nikki

   Arriving at their table, Nikki walked up to her chair and was about to grab it and sit down but Derek beat her to it. He grabbed it and gestured his hand for her to seat down. Slightly smiling, she sat down. Then, Derek walked to his and did the same.

  "You know you didn't have to pick a place this expensive." said Nikki, "now I don't know how I'm going to pay you back."

  "It's fine." assured Derek, "And besides, I asked you out so it's my treat tonight." Nikki nodded her head as she reached for her glass of water, taking a sip of it.

  "So, you said you wanted to talk?" Nikki said, setting the water down.

   Derek cleared his throat. "Remember when I told you about that arranged marriage my parents wanted me to get?" 

  "Oh yeah, did you fnd the girl yet?"

   "Actually.... yes." 

  "Really?!" squealed Nikki. She is so excited to see that her best friend has found someone for himself. "Do I get to meet the lucky girl who captured your heart?" chuckled Nikki as she playfully nudged Derek.

  "Well, you already know her." Derek hesitantly said

  "I do?" Nikki said playing with her water and titled her head in confusion. She furrowed her eyebrows together and started to think of anyone that came but her mind, but nobody did.

  "Yeah. I'm staring at her right now..." Derek said slowly

   Nikki almost dropped the glass of water she was holding. Good thing Derek caught it on time.He knew Nikki would have reacted like this. 

  "You're kidding right Derek?" Nikki said, awkwardly laughing "You're playing a joke on me right!?" Nikki forced a laugh, thinking that it's one of Derek's usual jokes on her. She checked Derek's face, looking for any sign of joking in his eyes. Nothing. He is dead on serious. Nikki stopped laughing and turned serious. 

  "But-what-how.." stuttered Nikki

  "Look before you say anything. Let me explain first." said Derek, looking at Nikki who just nodded.

  "For the past several days, I've noticed that you weren't your usual happy self Nikki, and I know it is because of that article."

  "What, how did you--" 

  "Mei-Ling told me." Derek said, cutting Nikki off. 'Darn you Mei...' Nikki thought to herself 

  "So, I want to take you back to America with me. What do you think?" said Derek

  "Derek, I-I don't know. I mean, I can't get married at twenty and I'm still in college." said Nikki, stammering

  "We don't have t get married, my parents already know you well enough that we're just best friends." explained Derek "But sometimes I wish we were more than that." He quietly muttered to himself.

  "This is just all too sudden Derek." said Nikki, lifting both of her hands and covering her face

  "You don't have to answer me now, I'll be leaving next Friday. You can give me an answer by then." said Derek. 

   Nikki's brain was still sinking in the information Derek had just told her. If she did decide to move back to American again, she would have to start all over again. But it would be a good chance to help her to stop thinking about Jiyong. The decision that she is going to make is difficult. She already has so much on her plate, and this is adding to it. What to do.... what to do...

  "Let's just enjoy our night now that I've told you." said Derek, scooping some pasta into his mouth and chewing. Nikki nodded, slowly scooping some rice and popped it in . 

   When they finished dinner, Nikki and Derek decided to head back home. During the car ride, it was silent. Usually, they'd be talking away but ever since their dinner conversation, it has gotten awkward around them. Well, for Nikki that is. Wanting to break the tension between them, she reached over and the radio. As if on cue, Big Bang's hit song 'Lies' started playing thru the car's speakers. Quickly realizing the song, Nikki immediately turned it off. She faked a cough and looked out at the window at nothing particular. If you think that it couldn't get any more awkward, you're wrong. It just did. 

   Finally arriving home, they unlocked the door. When they opened the door, Mei-Ling's head diverted her gaze from the television to them. She is surprised to see them back so early. It is only 8:39 PM. 'Something must have happened.' thought Mei. She turned around, shifting her body so she is facing them. 

  "How was dinner?" Mei asked, wanting to start off the topic. Still in deep thought, Nikki took off her pumps, walked into her room, closing the door and ignored Mei's question. 

  "What's up with her?" Mei asked, really confused.

  "It's nothing." Derek responses, rubbing the back of his neck. He too walked into the guest room and closed the door.

  "Well, obviously, that nothing is something." scoffed Mei, turning her attention back to her drama. Knowing her best friend, Nikki just needed some time to herself before opening up about it.  Mei-Ling has never seen Nikki so stressed out or completely dazed before. Well, sure she did, but only about her family issues and college. Hopefully, her best friend recovers and this whole thing blows over soon....