Holding Up

Mistaken

 

   Nikki had just woken up from a text she had gotten from Lee EunJung, her friend Seoul Art University, asking about their assignment. She had a long, tiring night due to what happened last night. Her eyes were puffy and they looked bloodshot, due to all of the crying she did. Nonetheless, she went online and logged onto her AOL messenger. Telling her friend about their assignment, she came across an article. She knew what it is just by looking at the large bold title, yet she is hesitating on whether or not she should click it. But in the end, her hand hovered over the link, clicking on it.

   ‘Last night, G-Dragon of Big Bang was spotted late at night at Haeundae beach with a mysterious girl. It looked like they were on a date. People have said that they were just talking. But who knows? Who is this mysterious girl and is G-Dragon secretly dating?’

   Nikki had read enough. She exited the window and closed her laptop quickly. Hugging her knees to her chest, she buried her face into them. She cannot take it anymore. Nikki just wants everything to go away. She should have never met him in the first place. And to think that Nikki was starting to fall for him… She silently started sobbing to herself. Then a knock is heard by her bedroom door.

  “Nick? Are you alright?” Mei asked, sensing that something is wrong with her best friend

   Nikki quickly wiped away the remaining tears that rolled down her cheek and checked her reflection in her full-length mirror in her closet. She looked like a complete mess. Her hair is disheveled, her face look bloated and her makeup from last night is smeared. She went to the bathroom and splashed cold water on her face. Then, she got a paper towel, wiping away her makeup, revealing her fresh clean face.

  “Nick? Are you there?” yelled Mei. Her constant yells were still heard thru the door.

  “I’m coming Mei!” yelled Nikki. She walked out of the bathroom and went to open the door. Mei-Ling walked inside, sat down on Nikki’s bed and started to stare at Nikki suspiciously.

  “Nick, are you okay?” questioned Mei, raising her eyebrows.

  “Of course I am.” said Nikki, “why wouldn’t I be?”

  “Well, for one, your eyes are puffy and red when you cry.” stated Mei, “and I saw the article..”

  “I’m fine Mei.” Nikki repeated with a fake smile, “it doesn’t bother me at all.”

  “Alright, but if you need someone, you know who to come too.” said Mei as she is hugging Nikki.

  “Thanks Mei.” Nikki half-smiled, returning the hug back to her best friend.

  “I’m going to go out for a bit Mei.” Nikki said letting go of the hug,” I need some supplies for my sketch.”

  “Alright, hurry back though!”

   Nikki nodded, slipping on a large pullover hoodie, a pair of skinny jeans and a pair of sneakers on top of her pajamas. She grabbed her keys, wallet, and her phone before walking out of their apartment.

  Actually, Nikki didn’t need any supplies at all. She just needed some time to think. She decided to head to the Han River, her relaxing spot. She sat down on the bench, pulled out her iPod, plugged her ears and turned it on full blast. Music on. Reality off. Nikki sat there for about two hours, looking out onto the Han Riverwhile listening to her iPod.

  ‘Why did I ever meet him?

  ‘I should have never agreed to meet up with him.’

  ‘Why am I feeling like this?

  ‘I don’t like him.’

  ‘I can’t…No… I can’t.’

  ‘Remember what he did to you Nikki.’

   Getting lost in her thoughts, Nikki lost track of time. She pulled out her phone from her pocket. 4 new missed calls from Mei-Ling and 1 new missed call for Derek.  Knowing her friends are starting to get worried, she stood up and inhaled a huge amount of air and let out a sad sigh. Then, Nikki walked to the nearest art store, which is luckily three blocks away from her. She thought it is best to not come home empty handed since her best friend would get suspicious on wondering where she wandered off too.