Tonight

Mistaken

 

  Waking up to the blinding sun shining down her face, Nikki opened her eyes. Her vision was still burry and she started blinking her until it started to clear up. Once it did, she slowly walked into the bathroom to do her morning routine. Fresh from the bathroom, Nikki walked into the living room. It was surprisingly quiet. Usually, Mei-Ling would have been up already watching her dramas on tv, commenting and screaming at it, telling the characters in the drama why he/she did that or why they didn’t listen to Mei.

   Nikki walked to the kitchen, pulled out a carton of milk and her favorite cereal, Cheerios. Since Nikki overslept, she didn’t bother to make herself lunch. After she finished eating, she placed her empty bowl in the sink and didn’t bother to wash them since Mei-Ling loves to do the dishes. She thought it was kind of weird since no one ever likes to do them as a chore. But she didn’t complain for that was one less thing for Nikki to do around the house. Remembering that she had to come up with a sketch for Mr. Kang’s class, Nikki walked into her room and started to brainstorm for ideas.

   Nikki’s desk is flooded with crumpled of pieces of paper. She has been working on the sketch since the afternoon and it is now 4:49PM. And she still hasn’t come up with anything. Usually Nikki would be jolting down sketches but today just wasn’t her day. Her brain wasn’t cooperating with her. She picked up her pencil and started sketching a head of a human. But she messed up on the jaw line, causing her to scribble everything out. She ripped the paper out of her notebook and threw it in the trash can filled with crumpled up paper balls. Nikki slouched back into her chair, groaning with frustration as she ruffled her hair.  Then her phone started ringing, indicating a new text message.

 ‘You have 1 new message! You have 1 new message!

   She grabbed her phone and looked at the screen. It was from Jiyong… They have exchanged numbers but they never contacted each other. Well, that is until now. Wondering why Jiyong texted her, she opened the message.

  ‘Hey, are you free tonight?’

   Nikki looked at her blank sketching paper and thought about her assignment but she decided to do it tomorrow since her mind is blank today. Nikki quickly replied.

  ‘Yeah, sure. Why?

   In less than a minute, her screen was flashing again.

  ‘Would you like to go out tonight?

  ‘I would love to.’

  ‘How about I pick you up at your place?

   Nikki sent Jiyong her address and confirmed the time. 6:30PM. Checking the time, Nikki glanced at the clock, 5:24PM. ‘Oh shoot, I better go get ready!’ thought Nikki as she ran out of her room. Nikki quickly told Mei-Ling and Derek that she would not be joining them for dinner today because she is going out. As usual, Mei-Ling started to tease Nikki while Derek, on the other hand, was curious that she even had a guy in her life.

   “He’s going to come pick me up so, you guys better behave.” warned Nikki,” especially you Mei!”

   “What?! Why me?!” yelled Mei-Ling

   “You know how you are.” said Nikki, “remember when you dragged me to that fan signing event to meet Rain?!”

   “Hey, that’s not fair!” defended Mei-Ling, “have you seen him?! He is finee.

   “Oh, Mei…” Nikki started to chuckle at how her best friend was starting to unleash the fan girl side of her.