32 - Is it over...?

Like Scattered Pieces of a Puzzle

At FT Island dorm:

 

A rerun played of the entire ceremony, introducing the heiress of Shinhae. While their day may have been free today, the members wouldn't waste their day inside to just watch TV. Thus, it was finally evening when they settled down in the living room, watching to rerun.

"Alright, everyone still roots for their side, right?" Hongki confirmed as he scanned the room.

All the members nodded except for Seunghyun who was still out. Assuming that he was out with Eunsuh, they just shook him off and with their eyes glued to the TV. Jonghun was only filled with so much anxiety, although he refused to show it.

 

How are you taking this...?

I know it's hard to take in...but you better not hurt her...

 

These thoughts ran through his mind as his attention turned to the TV. It was then the announcement of the heiress occured.

"Please everyone, let's welcome not only just the Heiress of Shinhae, bue our most-loving family member, Kim EunSuh"

At the sound of the name, everyone's, all except for Jonghun's, eyes widened before their attention was practically engrossed to the screen. When Eunsuh tentatively approached the stage, everyone's bodies advanced forward from their seats.

"No freaking way..." Hongki's whispers could be heard from across the room.

Jaejin couldn't believe what he had just seen either, "Holy crap..." those words slipped from his mouth.

And of course, Minhwan sat there with his mouth slightly ajar, trying to take in the situation at hand, "What the freak? Are you serious? Wow...all this time???"

Jonghun was the only one who sat at the nearby dining table calmly, which his eyes on the TV as well. He observed Eunsuh carefully as she smiled to the audience and waved here and there. However, he caught the moment her smile faded and her waving grew weak. Even though it was for several brief moments, he could see what was going through her mind.

 

Seunghyun...

 

A click of the lock was heard before the door swung open and in came Seunghyun. All eyes laid on him as he came in but instead of socializing or even saying hi to the members, he immediately started towards his room. 

"Yah, yah, yah! Did you know your girlfriend is the Heir--OW!" Hongki was interrupted as Jonghun lightly smacked his head to get him to mind his words.

Hongki was at first somewhat frustrated but upon looking at Jonghun's stoic eyes, he remained silent. Something was going on. Before anyone could say another word, there was a slam of the door in which Seunghyun enetered his room.

 

---

 

Eunsuh's POV

 

It's been approximately two weeks since we've talked. Or rather, since I have been able to get a hold of him. Not that I blame him, but it was really irritating how he never had the guts to talk clearly with me, but keep avoiding me like I'm some kind of disease. Thus, I waited outside the studio, since I knew they would be on their break soon. 

Anxiety took over as I looked at the time and back at the exit of the building. Suddenly, the members were seen as they took their leave from the studio. Jonghun expressed a sympathetic smile when he took notice of me and looked behind him, revealing a very distressed Seunghyun. Even though I was standing right next to him, at first he just completely ignored me and walked right past me.

I let out a sigh before I stepped right in front of him, blocking his way. As he tried not to look at me, he was finally forced to take a glance before he questioned, "Is there something you need?"

His words were filled with malice. I was a little taken back as I tried to maintain my poise and requested, "Can we talk?"

Seunghyun looked the other way in frustration, biting his lips as he did not want anything to do with me as of right now. "No." He replied. With that, he tried to take a step forward, in which I blocked his way again by putting myself in front. 

"I will continue bothering you if you don't talk to me..." I declared as I had had enough of him trying to ignore me. 

"What makes you think I won't call security?" He threatened as his eyes looked at me from the corner of his eyes.

I let out a scoff. He was really pushing my buttons. "What makes you think I can't override them?" I replied back with disinterest, but it was enough for him to consider.I paused as I looked away before following up, "Listen, it's just a cup of coffee or something. I'll treat."

As I looked into his eyes, they were, again, different. The way he looked at me changed. He saw me as Kim EunSuh, Heiress of Shinhae. He reluctantly gave his stuff to the other members and walked ahead in front of me. I was confused as to whether he was trying to get away from me or if I was to follow him. It wasn't long before he turned back and asked with formalities, "Are you coming?"

 

At the coffee shop, we sat face to face with one another. However, he dared not to look at me in the eye. I took a deep breath, trying to reason everything out in my head. 

 

Give him a break, EunSuh...he's probably shocked too...

But how long do I need to give him?

I just want a clear answer from him...

 

Letting out a sigh, I looked up at him, only to see him look out the window. He looked very uncomfortable as if he just did not want to breathe the same air as me. "S-Seunghyun-ah.."

There was a swift reflex. The very reflex he had of looking at me when I called out his name. However, he refused to follow through for he seemed to catch himself. He did not seem to want to move.

"Can it not be me...? I asked. My voice shook as I felt trapped. Fear arose as I was afraid of his answer. However, I had to know. Was he really as shallow as others? 

Silence was his weapon nowadays. And a very suffocating weapon it was.

"Seunghy--"

"No..." He interrupted my calling out to him to sternly state his answer.

It hurt. It really did but I acted like I didn't hear it as I swallowed the saliva building up inside my mouth. I let out a small laugh, trying to alleviate the contracting pain on my chest. "Can...it not be me?" I repeated with more plea. It wasn't intended but I couldn't help it. There's just no way...

He directed his eyes towards me, looking into my eyes, filled with desperation. How much I wanted him to just tell me that he was joking. That it was just a joke. To hold me tightly and laugh at my stupidity of thinking he would end it. But, it was only wistful, fleeting hope. 

"No." He was more direct with his answer the second time. It was cold. The sound of his voice brought chills to my shoulder. The only other time I feared hearing his voice was when he spoke to Jonghun that night. 

 

One...last time...

 

"Can it really...not be me? Is it...over?" My voice trailed off into a whisper towards the end. 

"My answer...won't change, no matter how many times you ask me." He asserted but he still would not look at me.

 

Lies...please don't lie to me...

 

I bit my lips before I spoke, "Okay...alright." It hurt. So much. I let out a pitiful laugh to soothe the aching heart. "So all those words you've said to me in the past, they're just empty words to you..." There was a choking sensation as it was hard for me to breath. I swallowed the lump in my thraot before continuing, "I thought...I really thought you'd be different. Making empty promises, giving me false hope...it wasn't me playing the sick game. Apparently, you still enjoy playing the game, yourself."

There was a long pause before I continued, "I really had enough of this as a child. Being ostracized. Being looked at differently. Being "too high" according to people's standards. But to be honest, in the end, I.am.still.human," I emphasized each syllable towards the end as I gritted my teeth, remembering my frustrating past. I looked up at him to see him looking back at me. His eyes appeared moved, but I could still see the resistence. I let out a laugh before continuing, "In the end, I'm still human. I have feelings. I have emotions. I.am.human. But, of course, someone like you would never understand."

Tears threatened to escape but I took a deep breath, trying to retain myself. Seunghyun looked dejected as he looked down in his seat. "If it's all a game to you. If you think it was a game to me. So be it..." As heartbreaking, dejected I was, my eyes stared straight at his sulking figure.

He tried to appear unaffected as he feigned indifference. His voice was soft but strong, "It's...over..." 

I leaned closer to him, since he still could not look straight at me. "You're right...it's over." At that moment, Seunghyun's eyes widened as he finally looked up at me. I couldn't help but smirk, more out of self-pity than at his reaction. "But, know this. It's over...not because I'm the heiress of Shinhae, not because of my family's status, and certainly not because you said it's over." It was then, something snapped in him. His eyes lost its stoic impression. There was emotion. "After all, I'm only human. I'm still a girl. But...in the end, it's because you really...." I paused a brief moment, a tear slid its way down my cheeks. I quickly wiped it as I inhaled a good amount of oxygen before exhaling and emptying my lungs. "...you really don't deserve me."

 

Silence crept its way in between us, holding us at its mercy. 

 

Seunghyun sat there, lost for words. He remained in his seat, frozen. The words pierced him like none other. It wasn't long before I reminded him, "Don't you have practice? You should go..."

He slowly stood up. I didn't bother to look. After saying those words, it was me who became devoid of emotions. The contracting pain in my chest...only started to fade then. Did it actually start to go away? Or was I just numb? I wasn't even sure anymore. I just didn't care anymore. He walked past me, but his footsteps slowly came to a stop. I could feel his intense stare behind my back. I closed my eyes, tryinng to hold myself together. To be strong to my words. As much as I wanted to look back, and hope to connect with him, it hurt to stare into his eyes, to see the blank stare. Life that was hanging by the thread finally let go inside me. , "Please. Just go. You said it yourself, it's....over."

 

Empty. Devoid. Lifeless. Alone.

Self-pity will get you nowhere...