36 - Time's Ticking

Like Scattered Pieces of a Puzzle

Eunsuh's POV:

 

I sat restlessly in the backseat, unable to keep still. I kept fidgetting with my fingers, constantly checking what time it was. Time just ticked away as I looked at the ongoing traffic. It was now 5:50. I had exactly seventy minutes to enter the airport. Seventy minutes meant four thousand, two hundred seconds. As each second blew by, I felt my heart rate rise.

What am I even suppose to say to him? How do I even approach him now?

Traffic continued, until it came to an entire standstill. What would normally be a thirty minute drive ended up being endless. Nothing was moving now for the past four minutes. Now it was 5:54. Given sixty-six minutes, I knew that it wasn't going to happen until a miracle occured. There was a commotion a couple cars ahead of ours. People started getting out of their cars. Screams and gasps were heard. Wondering what this whole spiel was about, I, too, stepped out of the car. 

"Eunsuh-sshi, please get back in the car," the chaffeur warned. 

However, I simply waved my hand to dismiss the thought as I walked forward. There was a crowd of people gathering around something. And the atmosphere was tense. Gulping a huge wad of saliva, I pushed myself through the crowd to find a body, laying in a pool of blood. As I observed my surroundings, I recognized a motorcycle laying on its side, and a car with a huge dent, in which I assumed that the motorcycle hit. I immediately got down on my knees, gently but sternly placing the body on its back. I reached for my phone to find that I didn't have it.

It's in the car...

Cursing to myself, I looked around at the curious crowd, whispers and gossips questioning my identity. I pointed to a random guy, in a red shirt. "You, do you have a phone?" 

The guy, at first startled, snapped out of his gaze and looked straight at me before uttering, "Y-yes." He took his phone out to show me, in which I responded by ordering him to call 119 (in Korea, it's 119). He nodded and followed exactly as I had ordered.

Meanwhile, I tilted the head of the woman's body, checking for breathing with my two fingers--index and middle--at the side of her neck, checking for pulse. There was neither. I took a deep breath as all my previous worries were simply pushed to the back of my head. It was just me and her.


It was 6:14pm and Seunghyun sat in his chair, trying to remain still. But, he knew he had to do something. If he left like this now, it's definitely over. 

"Hyung, I want my phone," He asked Yunho for his phone. Now that the entire situation was behind and they were simply just a gate away from the plane, the manager handed the younger member his phone.

With that, Seunghyun dialed the oh-so-familiar number. 

Brriiiiiiiiiing....briiiiiiiiiiiiing...briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing...*click*

"Hello?" He asked, only to be disappointed.

Hi it's Eunsuh! I have my hands full right now but if you leave a message, I'll be sure to call you back. Thanks! Byeee

He called again, only to get the same response.

Come on, Eunsuh...please pick up...

Again, he called. Same response. 

He scratched the back of his head before ruffling through his hair in frustration. 

 

"Dude, where is she?" Jonghun whispered to Minhwan while he kept eyeing Seunghyun from a distance. 

"I don't know! She hasn't gotten back to me since she supposedly left! She hasn't answered or anything!" Minhwan silently implored.

"Do you think something happened?" Jaejin pointed out, all of them keeping an eye out for Seunghyun.

 

Seunghyun tried calling again, but to no avail.

"Hyung..do you think it's over?" Seunghyun asked as he inhaled a large amount of breath.

Yunho patted his shoulder before replying, "Perhaps she's busy..."

Seunghyun kept fiddling with his phone, unable to sit still. It was now 6:27pm. "Hyung...I really...really, don't think I could leave it like this..."

"Seunghyun, please. Just as she is a professional, so are you. Let's not let your feelings get in the way. She'd understand." Yunho tried to reason.

"I'm gonna go use the restroom." Seunghyun pointed out. 

 


I held her nose before pressing my lips down, proceeding to giving ventilation. Her chest rose, which indicated a positive feedback. I gave the second round of ventilation, before checking for pulse. However, her pulse had still yet to be found. 

Making sure she lied flat on her back, I prepared to perform CPR. Blood found its way on my clothes. The crowd around me only got more intense as they surrounded us to the point where it was suffocating. I sternly asked the crowd to back up, to give some air, in which they quickly obliged.

With two arms straight out, left palm on top of her chest, right palm on top of the left palm, locking fingers, I took a deep breath before initiating CPR.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20,...30

I leaned forward, checking for breathing, checking for pulse. None. I gave my third and fourth round of ventilation, before I proceeded with another round of 30 chest compressions

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, ... 30

Again, I repeated the process of checking for breathing and for pulse. However, there was none. I took a deep breath as I tried to calm myself. I had dealt with death before at the medical center, but it was just devastating every time. Not giving up, I repeated the process.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, ... 30

Upon checking after the 4th time, there was a very slight pulse. My eyes widened as I gave another round of ventilation. There was movement, before the person started coughing like there was no tomorrow. 

Sighs of relief, light conversation of support, and cheers of accomplishment were heard amongst the crowd that remained silent during the whole CPR performance. I stayed there, looking into the weakly opened eyes of the other, before she smiled at me. Relief flowed through my system as I smiled back at the other person, holding the stranger's hand tightly.

The woman, almost inaudible, mouthed the words of gratitude, "Thank you."

I nodded in acceptance as I felt the feeling of warmth inside me. For the first time, I felt what it was truly like to save someone personally. And it consisted of very mixed feelings. Fear, frustration, anger, anxiety, patience, relief, and true gratitude. It wasn't long after that the ambulence was heard, driving through cars to get to the location. As the paramedics put her on the stretcher, I felt the other squeeze my hand tightly before letting go. The paramedics asked if I was okay and praised me for my stability and knowledge. 

"Mamn, do you need a ride back to the hospital?" One of the paramedics asked.

I asked them for the time, in which they responded that it was 6:27. Remembering FT Island's departure, I realized that the turn of events may have changed the course of my life...

I walked back to the car, where my chuffeur looked me up and down before cringing just a bit. "What? Does it look that bad?" I asked as I looked down to see stains of blood.

"You look like you killed someone, miss," he pointed out as he tried to hide a smile in order to remain serious. I poked at his ribs to loosen him up.

"Psch, don't even," I joked.

"So, what would you like to do now...? By the way, your phone rang multiple times. I believe it was Seunghyun-goon." He handed me my phone, in which there were at least six missed calls.

I checked the time once more, it was 6:33. I tried calling him back.

brriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing....brriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing...briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing *click*

"Hello?" The other line answered.

"Hello?" I answered, my heart racing. "Seunghyun?" *click*

Confused, I redialed the number, only to lead to his voicemail.

I looked at my phone, reading through the text messages Minhwan left me. There was no way I would make it on time, before 7 even by car. I heaved out a sigh, feeling a sharp contraction in my chest, before I typed in my final words to them before they leave for their Expanse Tour.

 

Something came up...I'm really sorry.

I wish you guys all the best. And I really hope to see you guys when you return.

And tell Seunghyun, he's an idiot. A big, stupid, idiot.

But...do let him know that I love him...

 

I reread the words over and over, to the point my tears fought to escape my eyes. After this, it'll be at least three months...will we even last leaving the situation like this? Are we really over...?

My finger laid on the send button, not yet clicking on it...still debating...

 

"Kim EunSuh!" A voice screamed out from a distance...


 

Okay, this is the second to last chapter. The next one will be the final chapter. I will probably have it up...hopefully soon. Please stay tuned til the end ^^ I will save my long author's note til the end XD Okie, bye byee