33 - Reflection

Like Scattered Pieces of a Puzzle

A/N: There is minor profanity so reader's discretion is advised. Other than that, enjoy!


 

Jonghun’s subtle concern increased as he observed Seunghyun’s actions day by day. He couldn’t say that he didn’t understand Seunghyun. Seunghyun had a valid reason to feel belittled when compared to Eunsuh. However, Jonghun hoped that Seunghyun would eventually surpass the whole shibboleth regarding masculinity and status. Seeing that this wasn’t the case only frustrated Jonghun when he met eyes with Eunsuh on his way out of the studio.

As Seunghyun stepped out of the door and noticed Eunsuh standing patiently by the door, Jonghun detected his stressed figure become more rigid. It was as if he just did not want to deal with her anymore. Or rather, with the heiress of Shinhae, anymore. The way he looked at her was different. It wasn’t the caring, concerned gaze that Seunghyun normally possessed. Instead, it was as if he had been caught offguard by someone with high authority.

Overhearing the small talk that the two shared, Jonghun was worried. While Eunsuh still stood strong, her requests were more of desperation. To see Seunghyun simply dismiss her in the beginning became a nuance but after much convincing, or rather a threat from Eunsuh, Seunghyun had obliged and the two hesitantly trudged to the nearest café.

Since they all had a thirty minute break from practice, Jonghun started his way towards a nearby supermarket. With his stomach growling, he supposed that eating cup ramen would satisfy his hunger for the time being.

Jonghun convinced himself that everything would turn out fine. Seunghyun will overcome it. He trusted that Seunghyun wouldn’t hurt her for too long. Thus, he insisted that he won’t interfere with their business.

 

Until then…

 

Across the street sat Eunsuh, void of all emotions except for the tears that flowed down her cheeks. Seunghyun was nowhere to be seen as Jonghun monitored the crying other just a street away from him. His hunger dissipated as his stomach churned with vexation. He had enough of just watching behind the scenes of the girl he had loved heartbroken once more.

Clenching his right hand into a fist, he stood up from his seat and picked up the untouched, heated ramen with his left hand to dispose of on his way out of the market. His steps were stiff while he was crossing the street, his eyes never left the sight of Eunsuh.  

The cool, air conditioned air greeted him as he opened the door slightly ajar before entering the premises. Even though the door was facing her, Eunsuh failed to notice the now approaching figure of Jonghun. She appeared to be so engrossed into her own sad world.

When he approached the counter, a young barista gave him a very scrutinizing gaze before her eyes widened at the sight of Jonghun. Jonghun smiled back at her, and he ordered a large bowl of ice cream topped with a variety of fruits without waiting for her to ask for his order. The silently-fangirling barista looked around cautiously, before her quiet, but still audible, squeals were heard.  She immediately entered his order into the system and went to the back to create the masterpiece.

Upon receiving his tub of ice cream, he kindly thanked the girl and walked over to the empty seat across Eunsuh. When Jonghun placed the fairly big bowl of colorful fruits and ice cream in front of her, it took a couple of moments before he finally got a reaction out of Eunsuh.

 

--

Eunsuh's POV

After Seunghyun dragged himself out of the café, I remained in my seat for God-knows-how-long, thinking of a myriad ways of mending the pain that resided in my heart. Completely oblivious of my surroundings, I successfully blocked everything out of my attention other than just me, for once. As I had just convinced myself that the world is bleak, there lied an array of colors in a bowl right in front of me.

The vivid red from the strawberries, bright green from the kiwi, luscious yellow from the mangos and peaches, greeted me as I stared blankly at the bowl. When I finally grasped the real setting that I was still in the café, in the same exact seat, unmoved from my surrounding, I slowly looked up to see Jonghun on the other side, handing me a piece of spoon.

The pain, the contraction in my chest, receded as the chest muscles relaxed at my late reaction to Jonghun. I hesitantly took the spoon from him before looking down  again, feeling rather sorry for the way things were turning out as of right now.

“I’m gonna beat you at eating ice cream if you keep sulking like that, Kim EunSuh,” Jonghun teased, in which my ears perked up at the sound of his playfully taunting voice.

I gripped the spoon held in my hand before I stabbed it into the perfectly half-sphered vanilla ice cream, ruining its structure as I scooped a bit of it onto my spoon. It was then, that I had let go of all insecurities and glanced at Jonghun who flashed me a smile.

Our conversation started with how FT Island had been the past couple weeks. I had yet to see all of them since the misunderstanding that played out at the concert. I commented on how good of an actor he was, cunningly making it seem like he was the victim but he refuted in stating that I was too far away to even grasp the situation.

“So…how are you?” He turned the question towards me, catching me offguard while I placed a spoonful of ice cream into my mouth. The creamy substance melted in my mouth while I averted my gaze from him, trying to think of an answer that would not make me look so…pitiful.

“I’m doing well. It’s been a bit tough with the public now knowing who I am but even then, I still get some privacy…like right now!” I replied with a little bit of excitement at the end, attempting to hide the feelings behind those words. However, Jonghun only stared at me, unamused, with his left eyebrow slight raised.

Letting out a sigh, I slouched a little in my seat, allowing my body to relax before I followed up, “Oh, who am I kidding? I just didn’t want you to see me hating on my life right now.”

I reached for another scoop of ice cream before I returned to my current posture. Biting my lips for a moment, I stared back at him before continuing, “Taking on Shinhae was something I was basically betrothed with, something I had accepted, so I have no regrets in that. But…it’s over between me and Seunghyun…”

The weak fire that Jonghun managed to create in me was extinguished once more as I allowed my mind to reminisce back to the anguishing statement.

“Who said it was over?” Jonghun interrupted my train of distressing thoughts. His eyes were intensely staring back into mine, as if he was trying to read me. “Is it really over?”

I really wanted to say no. Who would want to lose in this battle? However, I let my head hang loose before reluctantly nodding and replying, “He said, it couldn’t be me.”

Again, Jonghun let out a taunting snicker, which irritated me now because it seemed as if he was taking me as a joke. Giving him an icy glare, I threatened to leave before he responded sternly, “And you believed him? Kim EunSuh, are you really that stupid?” 

Even thought I wanted to deny the fact, I just couldn’t help it. “What else was I supposed to do…?” I asked as my voice trailed off, looking up at him with eyes filled with loss.

Jonghun sighed in frustration before he scooped a spoonful of the remaining ice cream into his mouth. I witnessed the rage kindling in his eyes as he tried to maintain his poise.

“Just, don’t say anything to Seunghyun. He…he already made up his mind,“ I requested while staring blankly at the outside world through the window next to our seats.   

 

--

No one's POV

“Alright, that’s a wrap. Great job, everyone,” The music coordinator announced the words to end practice.

Seunghyun stared into space impassively as Eunsuh’s words replayed in his head, while gathering all the equipment to finish cleaning up.

 

It’s over. It’s over. It’s…over.

 

Her sullen figure. Her despondent spirit. Her broken heart. It was all visible to him. And, it was his fault. He shook his head as he attempted to blot out the depressing person.

The car honked in front of him. The rest of the members were already in the van, waiting for him, who was obviously distracted. Seunghyun pulled himself into the van and took his seat next to Minhwan. The ride home was silent since everyone was exhausted.

The other members may have fallen asleep but Seunghyun was not able to close his eyes. He remained stoic as he tried to sort out his feelings.

 

Kim EunSuh, heiress of Shinhae. Why can’t I just look at you the same way I did before I knew you were the heiress, herself?

 

Seunghyun cursed at himself for being so judgmental. He had reasoned out that her life, her rank, her status would always trump his. As much as he wanted to say that they both live the celebrity life, she was always ten times more important. If anything were to happen to him, it would be FT Island’s and FNC’s concern. However, if anything were to happen to her, the entire country of Korea would know. He figured that he couldn’t (or wouldn’t) take the chances.

 

But, you still love her…

 

Seunghyun blinked at his conscience or more at the delusion of his heart as it interrupted his rationality. He swallowed hard at the notion. One heart broken isn’t going to end the world. Distracting himself with his phone, Seunghyun felt a sudden feeling of warmth as his eyes took notice of the guitar figured cellphone strap. He ran his fingers over the surface as his mind played back.

“As long as you have this, you will know that I love you.”

A sharp contraction found its way to his heart. Followed by another one. Seunghyun found it hard to breath but he placed his hand over his chest, grasping his shirt in an attempt to alleviate the pain.

A slight jolt of his body soon followed to indicate that the car stopped. The members slowly filed out of the car as they dragged themselves into their rooms. Seunghyun was the last to get out of the car, in which he took his time before he reached the entrance of the apartment.

Not really wanting to settle in yet, Seunghyun altered his course of direction, deciding to take a walk. His manager took notice of his actions and admonished Seunghyun to be careful. Seunghyun simply nodded to show acknowledgment.

After walking for some time as he reached his destination, he finally decided to call the person out, “Stop following me…”

It was silent at first. In a way, Seunghyun had doubted himself until finally the following set of cautious footsteps approached the now standing Seunghyun. It was Jonghun.

Seunghyun looked out into the vast, tranquil waters of the Han River as Jonghun caught up and stood next to him. There was an awkward silence between the two before Seunghyun snickered, “Hyung…you knew all this time, right?”

Jonghun carefully glanced at the other who belittled his hindsight and his previous feelings. His anger boiled as Seunghyun would only laugh his feelings away.

“Was it all a game to the two of you? All this time?” Seunghyun questioned after throwing a pebble into the river, in which lightly tapped the water three times before taking its final dive.

And this was enough for Jonghun to release his hostility.  There was a swift movement of his arm, followed by the loss of balance on Seunghyun’s part. Dismay and shock took over as Seunghyun’s eyes widened at the sudden punch thrown at him. He slowly lifted his hand to dab at the surging pain in his jaw, wiping the blood off of his lips.

It was then, he heard Jonghun scoff, “A game? You’re a ing joke.” With that, he abruptly grabbed Seunghyun by the collar and threw him on the ground. “I was an idiot to let her go to the likes of you” Jonghun hissed before he kicked Seunghyun in the stomach.

A rush of pain travelled throughout his body from the source as Seunghyun held his stomach in a pitiful attempt to prevent further kicking towards there.

“Get over it already. Quit being a ing coward. You really think that everything will be fine if you leave it like this?” Jonghun spit out before he unleashed another kick to the ground, scattering the rocks towards Seunghyun’s lying figure.

Seunghyun pushed himself to sit upwards once the pain subsided. “Then what the hell am I supposed to do? Hyung, where do I stand? If I compare myself to her, even as an idol, I am nothing to her! I can’t do anything for her!” Seunghyun finally exploded as tears ran down his cheeks.

Trying to catch his breath, Jonghun only looked down at the pitiful other. “Nothing has changed, idiot. And stop comparing. It does no good,” Jonghun advised while searching the large mass of water for something.

He reached inside his pocket to pull out a small origami boat that he had folded. Seunghyun cautiously watched the elder as he bent over to let the little boat float in the water.

 

My wish hasn’t changed. I wish for Eunsuh’s happiness.

 

After watching the tiny boat disappear in the distant waters, Jonghun turned around at the beat up figure in front of him. Seunghyun sat there, unable to find the strength to get up as he was still dumbfounded at Jonghun’s advice.

Seunghyun felt the elder’s body bend down, before he took the maknae’s right arm and swung it over his shoulder, helping the other up from the ground. “Let’s get you home,” Jonghun suggested, in which Seunghyun was too worn out to refute.

Seunghyun’s thoughts ran wild once more as they dragged their beat up bodies home. All this time, he had been trying to think of ways to accommodate to her, for he knew that some of his fans would show signs of disapproval. However, upon finding out, he was put into the position where the entire country of Seoul would assail him as a sign of disapproval if anything happened between them. Everything that he could think of, she would always have it so much bigger. He just felt useless thinking about it. Even when it came to the relationship, what would he do for her? How do you make someone who has everything happy? As an idol, you have fans and in order to have a significant other, it is a commitment on both sides to stay strong through the thick and thin. But, fans are merely people. The country of Seoul was a different story to him. How would he take responsibility of that? And here, Jonghun says not to compare, but how could he not? It just did not make sense to him how Jonghun managed to overcome such thought.

 

--

 

Upon arriving at home, the two were greeted with catastrophe. The rest of the members—Hongki, Jaejin, and Minhwan—and their manager gawked at the sight of the injured maknae. But, apparently that wasn’t the only concern they had.

“Hyung…” Minhwan hesitantly called out before his attention turned towards the TV.

On the display was the news announcing a scandal between the Heiress of Shinhae and Song Seunghyun of FT Island. It caught the inaudible encounter of the two sitting together at the café.

“According to sources, this was not their first encounter. As we are still trying to gather more information, what is the relationship between these two young individuals? Could this be a possible scandal? How will this affect the young heir—“

The screen turned black, which caused the attention to switch over to Jonghun who had turned off the TV with the remote. The only thing that lingered afterwards was the suffocating silence.

 

 


Alright, and then there's that. That gave some major thinking time to Seunghyun, don't you think? Hopefully he'll snap out of it soon. Meanwhile, hope you guys enjoyed it. I have been updating quite often but it will unfortunately have to come to a brief period of inactivity. BUT, it won't be too long! Meanwhile, thank you SO much for all the comments and subscriptions and even upvotes! Definitely kept me motivated :) Please do give me more motivation by commenting and subscribing if you haven't! Thank you so so much!