Five

My Rooftop Princess

"We're here!" I cheered when I noticed the sign of my hometown. "Can I open the window?" I asked as I looked at him. "Sure, don't bring out your head, okay?" he said as I nodded like a little kid. I scrolled down my window as a strong breeze hit my face. "Waaa. It feels so nice to be back in the countryside again." I smiled as I closed my eyes.

 

"Is it now?" he asked. "Yup. Have you been to the countryside, Oppa?" I asked as I looked at him. "Yea, once." he answered. "Really? When?" I asked, already interested in knowing what his experience about living in a countryside. "When I was, probably, seven or six." he hesitantly answered. "Ohh. Do you still remember some of them?" I eagerly asked.

 

"Yes, we went to Gyeongsangdo for a business project of my dad so he thought that we could spend a few nights in there." he retorted as I nodded. "Did you have fun then?" I looked at him. "Yea, I did. Maybe my trip to the countryside we'll be more different." he said as he looked at me. "Why is that?" I asked him curiously.

 

"Becuase, I'm with the one I love."

 

My cheeks suddenly flushed just by hearing his answer. He sends butterflies to my stomach and he's the one who could make my heart flutter.

 

"Yah! Are you blushing?" he chuckled as he took a glance of me. "Aniya~ I'm not." I retorted as I looked away. "Hey! Don't lie. I swear you were blushing awhile ago and I guess, your cheeks are still red." he teased. "No, it's because of the weather." I explained. "Psh. Whatever you say, yeobeo." he said as my cheeks reddened more and I instantly cupped my face.

 

"Yoobin?"

 

"Hmm?" I asked, eyes glued outside.

 

"What does your grandparents look likes?"

 

It's the first time Myungsoo asked me that. As a matter of fact, Myungsoo never bothered to ask about my family background and I didn't even bother to tell him about it anyway. Myungsoo already opened me up to his family and I'm not doing it to him. My grandparents doesn't even know that he exist. Am I being unfair to Myungsoo? Maybe this trip will help him know more about me. It's time for him to know about my family...and maybe my past.

 

"They're just like any other grandparents you know."

 

"We're already here." I excitedly said as I looked outside the window. "Does your grandparents live here?" he asked as he peeked through the windows. A one-story wooden house was built in the middle of a small yard. There are only two people who lives there so they don't need a huge house for themselves. It's the love that counts anyway. "Yup. It's here." I said.

 

"What if your grandparents doesn't like me?"

 

I gently smiled at his sudden question. I cupped his face as I deeply looked at his eyes. "Don't worry. I'm sure they'll like you no matter what." I said as kissed the tip of his nose. "Let's go. It's freezing cold right now." I said as I hurriedly went out of the car.

 

"Oh! They're here!"

 

We both looked towards the voice and we saw my grandparents by the door. "Halmoni! Harabeoji!" I called as I ran up to them for a big hug. "I missed you guys." I said as I gave them a kiss on the cheek. "We missed you too, Yoobin." Harabeoji said as he smiled at me. "I want you guys to meet someone." I said as I ran towards L.

 

"Halmoni, Harabeoji, I want you to meet Kim Myungsoo, my...boyfriend." I meekly said the last part. "Oh! It's about time you have someone in your life. Nice to meet you, Myungsoo. I'm Yoobin's grandfather, Park Ilwoon." he said as he offered his hand for a handshaked. "Kim Myungsoo, sir. Nice to meet you, too." he politely said as he shook hands with my grandfather. "And I'm Park Yeonwo, her grandmother." she said as she gave him a hug.

 

"Nice to meet you, ma'am." he said as he bowed. "Aish. Stop that. Just call us Halmeoni and Harabeoji. We're family after all." she said as she laughed with my grandfather. "Hmm. Arasso, Halmeoni." he nodded. "Waa. See, much better." she said. "Let's go inside. We made some soup just for you guys." my grandfather said as we all followed him inside.

 

"It seems like you did a great job picking a boyfriend, eh? Just by looking at him, he's a lady killer." she whispered. "Halmeoni!" I blurted. "What? I'm just saying. But boys like him may hurt you. Watch out, okay?" she said as she walked away.

 

I stopped at what my grandmother just said. Myungsoo wouldn't hurt me right? He's not like some other boys, right? He's different. He loves me, he wouldn't hurt me. I snapped out when I heard my grandma calling for my name. We were all enjoying our dinner when my grandma suddenly asked a out-of-the-world, unexpected question.

 

"So, when's the wedding?"

 

I spit out the water that I was drinking while L choked on the food that he was eating. "Yeonwo-ah! You're scaring the kids." my grandpa said. "Here," I gave L some water as I patted his back. "Halmeoni! Why are you asking those kind of questions?" I whined. "What? I just thought that since you two have been dating for 2 years now, I think it's time for you two to get married." she explained as she shrugged.

 

"Yeobeo, we're in the modern times now. It takes alot of time to get married." my grandpa stated. "Is that so? What's the difference, if you really love each other then being committed to each other will be it's final result." she retorted. "Yea, but it's complicated now." he said.

 

"Really? I guess that wouldn't be hard since they'll be sleeping in one room."

 

"WHAT?!!"

 

"Yes, sweetie, since we don't have any extra rooms, we thought of making him sleep in your room." she said as she smiled at us.

 

"But, I'm a girl and he's a boy. I boy and a girl can't sleep in one room, except when they are already committed." I blurted. My grandma is crazy. She's crazy, right? I know, I can't argue with this anymore but this is just inappropriate. I looked at L and he just gave a shrug. This is going bunkers. "Harabeoji.." I gave him a begging look as he looked down.

 

"I'm sorry, sweetie, but I can't do anything about it." he disappointedly said. "We two trust you, so we know that you're not going to do anything." she said. "You better go and prepare for bed. It's getting pretty late now. He can use the bathroom in your room while you can use the bathroom at the hall." he said as we both nodded.

 

"I'm sorry about this Yoobin, I know you don't want this---"

 

"No, don't worry, i-it's okay."

 

"Well, here's my room." I said as I slid the door for him. He entered as he looked around. "Spacious and comfy. But bigger that your room in Seoul. Seems okay." he chuckled. "Psh. I know, i know. You're not comfortable living in a small place but at least it fits the two of us." I said. "No, I don't need a spacious room. A closet is already enough." he said as he hugged from the back. "Psh. You're lying." I hissed. "I'm not." he said as he spun me around.

 

"I don't need a bigger house to live in, the rooftop room is already okay for me."

 

How can this guy right here be so sweet? My cheeks heated up as he said it. "So, where's the bathroom?" he asked. "There," I pointed to my right. "Okay, be right back." he said as he ruffled my hair. 

 

I opened my room to see Myungsoo looking at things on the top of my drawer. "Yah! I told you not to touch anything." I said as I walked towards him. "I'm not touching them, I'm just looking at it." he said as I grew speechless of his witty answer. "It's still the same." I retorted.

 

"How old are you in this picture?" he asked as he picked up the picture frame. "It was my fourth birthday that day." I smiled. It was a picture of me when I was four years old. My hair was tied up into a two pigtails and I was smiling at the camera with some of my teeths still missing. "Cute." he muttered. I hissed as I took the picture away from him and placed it down. "Atleast it's better than your baby picture." I teased.

 

"Psh. Are you teasing me now?" he said as he raised an eyebrow. "No, I'm just saying." I said as I sat on the small couch at the end of my bed.

 

We both stared at the ceiling, not saying a word. Only the sound of our breathing could be heard as the strong wind hits my window. Since we're both staying in my room, I was the one who took the bed while he was the one who laid on the floor. I felt sorry for him for sleeping on the cold floor, and he's not even use to it. 

 

"Myungsoo.."

 

I moved to my side as I looked at Myungsoo from above. "Are you sleeping already?" I asked. "Ani, just resting my eyes." he bluntly said. "Are you comfortable in there?" I asked. "Abit hard, but I can handle it." he answered with his eyes still closed.

 

"Do you want to share the bed with me?"

 

He peekd through one eye as I flinched. "Are you serious?" he asked as his eyes fully opened. "Mmm. I don't mind sharing the bed----" before I could complete my sentence, he quickly stood up as he went straight to my bed. "Thanks. It's getting pretty chilly in there." he said as he rubbed his arms for a source of heat. "You told me you can handle it but it seems like you were faking it." I giggled. "Here," I said as I shared my blanket with him. "Thanks." he smiled as my heart suddenly melted.

 

We were both facing each other, sharing blankets, and a pillow between us. My eyelids were getting heavy as I slowly closed them. "Yoobin..." I could hear him calling for me. "Hm?" I tried to respond. "I want to know about your parents." My eyes slowly opened as I came face to face with him. "Why?" I asked. "Well, we've been dating for 2 years now, and I don't know a thing about your parents, it feels like I've been a uncaring boyfriend to you. Since we're here, I want to know about them." he bluntly stated as he tucked a strand of hair on my ear.

 

"But, you could tell me tomorrow. I want you to sleep now. Goodnight~"

 

He kissed my forehead as I closed my eyes. I nodded as I looked at him, "Goodnight, Myungsoo." He smiled as my eyes started to close slowly.

 

"Saranghae." he whispered.