Sixteen

My Rooftop Princess

I snapped back to reality when I heard someone shouting my name.

"OH! YOOBIN-AH!"

"YOOBIN-AH!"

"HERE!"

I looked around and my eyes landed on a girl wearing a dark blue coat and grey bonnet as she held up a blue cartolina with my name on it. I squinted my eyes as I tried to familiarize her. "Miyoung?" I walked towards her as I beamed when I realized it was Miyoung.

"Miyoung! It is you!" I exclaimed as I ran towards her and gave her a tight hug.

"Ohh, Miyoung, I missed you." I said as my emotional self tries to kick in. 

"Yah! Don't you dare even cry infront of me." She said as we both pulled away from the hug. I frowned as I sniffed. "Because, I'm going to cry, too." She added. I chuckled as I playfully slapped her arm.

Miyoung has really changed. She was more taller now, her skin was more fairer, and her hair was shorter now as it stopped just below her shoulder. And she was getting prettier and prettier. Maybe this friend of mine is inlove. I'll have a mental note to ask her that as we have our little catch up.

~

"So, how was your life in your New York?" She asked as she took a sip on her Frappucinno. We went to a nearby cafe and shared some stories since I wasn't in Korea for the past 8 years.

"It was...okay." I answered. "You've been in New York for the past 8 years and it was...okay? Really?" She retorted as I just giggled. "What do you want me to say then?" I blurted. "You could've met a handsome, smart guy in there and you two are going out. Oh, Come on, Yoobin, atleast tell me that is something juicy." She answered. "Well, no, I didn't meet a handsome, smart guy at all...because I was busy with school and now, my work."

"Of course, I expected that from you anyway." She said as I rolled my eyes. "How about you? Anything juicy about your life?" I asked as she sighed, "Nahh, my life is pretty much boring right now."

"Why?" I curiously asked as I raised my eyebrow at her. "Well, I've been trying to make a living for my little brother's tuition for college. And I don't think the salary that I've been making isn't enough." I suddenly felt sorry for her. "Haven't you graduated in an art school?" I asked. "Yea, but it's a waste. I work at a music store, stacking CDs everyday." She said, not happy about it.

I know how it feels like anyway. Doing something else for the sake of someone you love as you tried to forget about your dream. It's kinda hard and I don't want her to be like this all her life. I saw what she can do, and I don't want it to go to waste.

"Hey, do you want to work with DNL?" I asked as her eyes widened. "THE DNL? The famous fashion designer in New York?" She half-shouted as the other customers looked at us weirdly. "Hey! Keep it down." I hushed her. "Sorry." She said as she sat straight.

"Wait, so you know DNL?" She asked. "Yea..kinda." I trailed off. "You can work as he, I mean his graphic designer." I answered. "Really?" She gasped as I nodded. "Oh, yes, yes, yes!" She said as she jumped like a little kid. I giggled at her excitement. "Just go to the Seo Company and you can start on Monday."

"Monday? Seriously?" She gasped. "Yea, you can start on Monday, if you don't want to, I can---"

"No, no! Monday is good! It's great!" She said as she tried to calm herself. "Wear something nice, okay?" I said as her eyes widened in surprise. "Oh, no! I don't even have any appropriate clothes for work." She said as her shoulder slumped down. "Let's go!" I said as I stood up as she looked at me confusedly.

"Wait! Where are we going?" She asked as she looked at me curiously. "Well, we're going shopping!" I answered as I tried to imitate the way a high school girl would said it with their high-pitched squealing and flailing of arms. She raised an eyebrow as she looked at me, disgusted.

"What?" I innocently asked. "Don't ever do that again." She said as I chuckled. "Don't worry, never again." I answered as we both headed out of the cafe. 

~

"Where should we buy, huh?" She asked as we stepped inside the mall. "Here," She pointed at a store near the entrance door. "Or there,"

"Calm, okay? It's on the third floor." I answered as she nodded. We entered a store and their eyes widened. I signaled them to treat me like a normal customer as they all acted naturally. "Woah, it's so beautiful in here." Miyoung awed. "May we help you, ma'am?" An employee walked towards us as she bowed.

"Uhm, yea, we're looking for clothes that says, "I'm an employed woman". Can you show us some?" She asked as I giggled. The employee secretly giggled as I winked at her. She nodded her head as she lead her to a rack of clothes. "Are you coming?" She asked as she looked at me. "Yea, I'll be there in a sec."

"Wait! Aren't we going to pay for these?" She asked as she looked at the bags. "I've already taken care of that." I said as we both went out of the store. "But," She looked down, feeling abit guilty. "Don't worry about it, Miyoung. It's my way of thanking you for all the things you had done to me." I said as I gave her a soft smile. She smiled, "Thanks, Yoobin." She attacked me with a tight bear hug as some of the people looked at us.

~

I stepped inside the shop just near the company wearing a knee-length apricot dress that has a white lace collar. I paired it up with a beige coat and a pair of heels. I looked around as I searched for any sign of Miyoung inside.

"Here!"

My eyes landed on a person who was waving cheerfully at me. I approached her as I saw her wearing the clothes we just bought yesterday. "You're looking...good." I said as she giggled. "I thought we will meet up in the Seo Company." I stated as I took a sit beside.

"Yea, but I want to wait for you here." She said as I nodded with an 'ah'. "Shall we go then?" I asked as I stood up. "Oh! Yup, sure." She said as she stood up and grabbed purse. "Wait! I'll take this." She said as she picked up his Americano from the table.

"I'm so excited! I'll be working for DN---"

*splash

Me and Miyoung were on our way to the building when she accidentally bumped into someone. "Oh My God! I'm so sorry." She said as she took her handkerchief out and started to wipe the girl's jacket. I can see that she's really pissed. She screamed in frustration. "Stay away from me!" She shouted as she pushed Miyoung. Gladly, I was just near her, so I caught Miyoung on time before she breaks her neck.

Okay, this girl just crossed the line. "Hey! My friend said she was sorry. You didn't have to push her." I retorted. "Psh. Puh-please! Her sorry isn't even enough to pay for this DNL jacket. Even the clothes that she is wearing isn't worth the price." She said with her sassy voice.

"Are you sure that is a design by DNL?" I asked as I raised my eyebrow at her. "Heck yea!" She exclaimed. "Oh, well, last time I checked, DNL doesn't even design jackets like that." I answered back with a cocky grin. The crowh 'ooohh'-ed, humiliating her. I didn't even know that we gathered alot of people just because of this sassy .

She screamed as she stomped her foot and walked out from the scene. The crowd soon dispersed as Miyoung gave me a pat on the back. "Wow, Yoo! Where did you learn to do that?" She asked. "Do what?" I asked. "You know, humiliating a person infront of the whole crowd. You were just a quiet,shy type nerd who sits at the back of the class." She said as I laughed. "Well, I'm a New York girl after all." I shrugged as we both went inside the company.

"Yoobin." She whispered. "Yea?" I asked. "Why is everybody looking at us?" She asked when I noticed that they were all looking at me. Before I could explain what was really going on, Mr. Shim walked towards me and bowed.

"Ms. Han, Goodmorning." he bowed.

"Yoobin, what's going on? Why is there a man greeting you formally?" She curiously asked. "Oh, Ms. Lee Miyoung, Goodmorning and Nice to meet you." He said as he offered his hand as she hesitantly shook with it. "N-nae. Nice to meet you, too."

"Uhm, Mr. Shim, can you lead Miyoung to her office, I'll go and have a talk to President Lee." I said as he nodded. "Follow me this way, Ms. Lee." He said as Miyoung gave me a worried look. "I'll explain to you everything, just be with Mr. Shim for now." I said as she nodded. "Okay." She said as she left with Mr. Shim.

~

As soon as it was lunch time, Miyoung came to me as she glared at me. I awkwardly stood there as I cleared my throat. "So, how was your new office?" I meekly asked as her glare were more intense.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She replied. "Tell you what?" I innocently asked.

"That you're DNL! And that you're my boss starting from now." She retorted.

Okayyy. This will take alot of explanations. I better stop hiding this to Miyoung and tell her the truth. I sighed, "I'm sorry, okay? I should've told you earlier." She smiled as she put her arm around me. "Yah! You don't have to be sorry. I understand you, okay?"

"Really? You do?" I asked as I looked at her. "Mmm, I do." She firmly nodded. "But I want to know everything about that two life of yours, being DNL and Yoobin at the same time." She said and it was my turn to nod. "Okay! Let's go and take our lunch!" She exclaimed as I laughed.

 

----------------------------------------------

A/N : Do you want to see L now? In the next chapter, he'll appear. Don't worry! :)