Fifteen

My Rooftop Princess

Yoobin

The bell rang signaling that our class was already over. Everyone cheered as they all headed out of the room. I was packing up my stuff when Amy walked towards my table. "Hey, Daniel, we're going to have a hangout, do you wanna come?"

Daniel is my english name, since I live in New York now, I think I need to use my english name more often. I shook my head, "I can't. I have alot of things to do for now." She sighed and shrugged. "Okay, I was hoping that you'll be coming."

I felt guilty all of a sudden. "Sorry, Amy. Maybe next time." I said as I looked at her. "Sure! Just make sure you'll be coming, okay?" She said as I nodded. "Promise." She smiled. "Okay! I better go now, they're already waiting for me outside." She said as she exited from the room.

I stood up as I slung my backpack onto my shoulder. Hm, I guess, I didn't changed at all. I'm still the shy and quiet girl back when I was in high school. I've been living in New York for more than 4 years now and the friend that I had make is Amy and the old woman near our house who lives with cats.

I was at my usual place, the coffee shop near our school. I don't know why, but it gives me the feeling that I'm still in Korea. Probably because of the smell of the coffee beans and freshly baked breads that gives the scent to the shop, just like the shop, where I once worked at. The best thing about this shop is that they have a shelf full of books. This can make your relaxation much better. This place is where I could relieve my stress everytime I'm having a hard time in school. Plus, the employees here are very nice. 

"Do you want another coffee, Daniel?"

I looked up as I smiled at Ian. "Sure." I said as he took my cup and refilled it with another hot coffee. "I saw your friends awhile ago, it seems they were heading towards the mall." He said. "Mm, yea." I responded. "You know, you can't always stay here and read books all day. You need to go out and have some fresh air once in awhile." He stated.

"First of all, my books and coffee is already okay and I already described them as my 'social life'. And second, they're not my friends, they're just my classmates. Only Amy is nice enough to talk to me when I first came in to the school. Those people treats me like I'm some kind of a disease." I answered as he chuckled. 

"Well, they are Americans, they treat us Asians like that." Oh, I forgot, Ian is also Asian, but he's Chinese. He has been living here in New York since he was 8. I got kinda excited when I met an Asian here in the other side of the world. We met when he accidentally poured iced coffee on my shirt. He started talking into a different language and that's when I realized he was talking in Mandarin. And, he's chinky eyes were a great hint that he was Asian.

"Yah! Don't discriminate." I scolded as he shrugged. "I'm not. Just stating a fact." He said as he walked off. I shook my head and smiled as I continued reading.

"Thank you."

I suddenly looked up and when I heard a voice, a very familiar voice. I searched for the person as I looked around the shop. My eyes landed to the male who was wearing an all black outfit with an American on his hand. He was wearing some glasses so I couldn't really see who he is. My eyes widened when I finally noticed him. I abruptly stood up and ran towards the door.

"Hey! You forgot your---"

I heard Ian shouting for me but ignored him as I tried to catch the guy. I searched around the streets when I saw a black coat. I carefully followed him as I passed through the people. I was only a few centimeters away from him as I reached my hand out to touch him. I was taken aback when people from the subway suddenly came out and I was being pushed away from him. I tried to escape from the crowd as I never leave my sight for the guy on a black coat. The crown soon dispersed and....he was gone.

Someone suddenly held my shoulder and turned me around. "Hey! Are you okay?" Ian worriedly asked as I slowly nodded my head. "Why did you ran out of the shop all of a sudden? You even forgot your things." He said as he gave it to me. "I saw him, Ian." I muttered. "What?"

"I saw him!" I repeated abit louder as I looked at him.

"Who?" He asked.

"Myungsoo." I softly answered.

"Myungsoo? The guy, who you left in Korea?" He retorted as I nodded. "Yah! Wake up! We're in New York, he's in Korea. Why would he be here?" He said and that completely woke me out of my thoughts. He was right. Why would he be here? Ugh, Come on, Yoobin! Stop thinking about him.

"You're right. I must've been mistaken someone from him."

~

I was busy doing some of my designs, I crumpled another paper as I threw it in the trashcan. I groaned in frustration as I rested my forehead unto my arm. 

"I'm hungry." 

I stood up and ran up towards the kitchen. I looked inside the refrigarator for some foods. 

"What are you looking for, Miss?" Anna, our head maid, asked. "Hm, I'm looking for some ice cream." I answered. "Oh, We're all out of ice cream already, Miss." She answered as I got disappointed. Seriously? Now that I need some brain food, we're all out of it. Grr, great. 

"But, we can go and buy you some, Miss." She said. "Ani," I retorted. "I can go and buy the ice cream." 

"But, Miss, is not--"

"It's okay. I need some fresh air anyways. I'll be back." I said as I walked out of the kitchen.

~

I was on my way home with the bag of ice cream on my hand. I fixed my jacket as I blew some air to my hands. Wow! I can really feel that winter is coming.

I searched for my phone inside my coat pocket when I suddenly bumped into someone. My plastic fell on the ground as the things inside were sprawled out.

"Sorry." We both said as we crouched down to picked up the things. We both stood up as he handed the plastic to me. "Here,"

"Thanks." I said as I looked up. My eyes widened when I noticed the familiar face of the person.

"Oh My God! Hoya! Is that you?" I gasped but he was take aback. He can't probably recognize me at all. His eyes narrowed as his eyes were shaped like saucers. "Yoobin?!" Finally. 

I smile as I nodded at him. "It is you." He said as he gave me a hug and I hugged him back. "I almost didn't recognize you. Wow!" He said as he looked at me from head to toe. "You changed. A lot." He stated as I giggled. "Well, I need to grow, too, you know." I joked.

"I didn't expect to see you here." I said as I softly slapped his arm. "Well, there was a dance competition and I was invited as one of the judges." He answered as I nodded. "That's good. I'm happy for you, Oppa." I said. "Thanks." I suddenly remembered L, who I just saw a few days ago. Ever since that day, I was still wishing that it was L, who I saw at the shop.

"Did someone came with you?" I asked as I crossed my fingers, hoping that he would say L's name. "No, I came alone." He answered as I felt something heavy on my chest. "Oh, I see."

"Well, its been like what? 3 years or what?"

"4 years, Oppa. Its been 4 years." I answered. "Yea, 4 years since you left." He said as I looked down. "How is he?" I suddenly asked. "He's doing...good." He unsurely answered. "I see." I muttered. "He was really down when you suddenly left." He stated as I sighed. "I know. I hate myself for leaving all of a sudden and not telling you guys."

"But, L miss you. A lot." He miss me? "Really?" I asked as I gave him a soft smile. "Yea, he's not that good in hiding those kind of things." He chuckled as I slightly smiled. He checked his watch and I know that it was time for him to go. "Oh, I better go now. I need to meet someone right now." He said as I nooded. "Yea, sure." I answered as he gave me one last hug. "It was nice seeing you. I'll tell L about this." He said and ran off.

I waited for his figure to be gone and I let out a long sigh.

~

"We are now landing at Incheon Airport. Welcome to Korea!" I looked out from the window as I got excited. I'm back to my home country. I can't wait to see Korea again. "Please exit properly." The announcer said as I bounced out from my seat and started to go out. 

I looked around the airport and a huge grin was spread across my face. I opened my arms wide as I close my arms.

"I'm in Korea!" I muttered.