Four

My Rooftop Princess

I dragged my suitcase as I headed out towards the door. Getting ready to leave to visit my grandparents. "Will you be gone for long?" the landlady asked. "Aniya, I'll just stay there for 2 weeks." I answered. "2 weeks?" she repeated. "Hmm. I haven't seen my grandparents in awhile now, so I think I should pay them a visit. At least spend the Christmas and New Year with them." I said as I smiled at her.

"Uhm. I guess you should really go. Your grandparents must really miss you alot." she said as she softly smiled at me. "Uhm. So, I hope you you take care of the two rooms, Ahjumma." I said. "Nae~  Don't worry, I'll take good care of it." she confidently smiled. "I'll bring you home some good foods when I get back." I stated. "Omo! Jinjja! Then I'll look forward to it." she grinned as she clasped her hands together and I nodded excitedly.

"But..how about Myungsoo?" she asked as I looked at her inquiringly.  "Isn't he going with you? He can't let a girl travel all alone, am I right?" she said as I looked down. "Well,.he needs to be with his family this Christmas. Don't worry, Ahjumma, I can take care of myself." I self-assuredly said. "Arasso, have a fun trip, okay?" she said as she gave me a hug. "Mmm. I will, Ahjumma." I said as I hugged her back.

She pulled away as she smiled at me. "Say "Hi" to your grandparents for me, okay?" she asked as I nooded. "Arasso. I better go now. Be careful." she said as she left. Sometimes, I think of her as a mom. She would always be there for me whenever. I sometimes wonder if this is the feeling of having a mom.

I grabbed my suitcase as I dragged it down the stairs. "Aish. Jinjja! Why is it so heavy anyway?" I groaned. I dragged it with all my strenght. "Aish." I hissed. "Need a help with that?" My eyes widened, hearing that familiar voice all of a sudden. I instantly shot up, seeing the man with a slight smirk on his face. "Wh-what are you doing here?" I stuttered as I looked at him inquiringly.

"What? Can't I visit my girlfriend?" he asked as he walked towards me. "I'll get that for you." he said as he took my suitcase and carried it like a feather. "Wait! Where are you taking my suitcase? I need---" he looked at me sternly. "Just get on the car." he said as I stopped on my tracks. "But--" his gaze grew more intense. "Okay, I'll go in now." I said as I hurriedly went to the passenger seat.

I sat there quietly as I waited for L to get inside the car. L went inside as I looked away, avoiding any eye contact with him. He leaned as he put my seatbelt on. "Thanks." I mumbled. The drive was very silence, probably because I don't know what to tell him that wouldn't make him burst out all of a sudden. I would steal some glances of him but I would quickly looked through the window, not wanting to be caught.

"Hey, why aren't you talking?" he asked. I looked at him, "Nothing." I plainly answered. "I'm sorry if I was being strict awhile ago, okay?" he said as I looked at him. "Okay," I sighed as I smiled at him. "But, where are we going?" I curiously asked. "Someone wants to meet you before Christmas. I just want to grant her wish." he smiled. "Who is it?" I asked and the car stopped inront of a white mansion.

"We're here." he smiled as he opened the door for me. Even though we've been dating for two years now, I haven't gone to his house or meet his family. Heck, I don't even know what they look like. Do they have the same personality as L? Oh God. I hope not. But he told me that his mom likes to make some jokes or she always .  I don't even know the reason why I wouldn't want to meet them yet, but I guess this is the right time.

I stared at their three-stories' mansion as the big windows placed over the wall, getting a great view from Seoul. We both went in as a plenty of maids and butlers greeted us in.

"Welcome, Young Master L."

He politely bowed as I did the same. "Your coat ma'am?" a butler said as L removed my coat for me. "Komawo." I bowed as he did the same and left. "Where's mom?" L asked as he asked his other butler. "In the kitchen, Young Master L." he answered. "What? Is she cooking again? I told her not to do it." he blurted. "But...she insisted in doing it, Young Master L. Sorry, if we couldn't stop her." he bowed. "Aniya, it's okay, Butler Im." he said as he held my hand and lead me further.

As we both walked down to their hall, I looked around, observing the place. The tiles were clearly polished, and their ceiling was decorated with chandeliers, lighting up the path, their walls was carved and furnished, the furnitures seems to be one of a kind and very expensive, since most of it are made of gold. Alot of pictures were hung on their wall, a picture of their relatives and pictures when they were still a kid. I thought those kind of pictures were only put in a photo album but..maybe..not for them.

He stopped walking when we heard rustling inside the kitchen. "That's probably her." he said as he shook his head. "Wait here." he said as I nodded. I could here some arguments but mostly L's voice when he's mad. I wonder what her mom's personality is, better than L. I could here footstep coming towards and there stood a middle-aged woman with a perfect bun hair with her natural make-up and a flowery dress that stops above the knee.

"And I'm guessing this is Jihyun." she smiled. "Annyeong haseyo, Mrs. Kim." I shyly bowed. "Nice to meet you, sweetie." she said as she ran up to me and hugged me. It feels like she knows me already. "Call me Omonim." she sait, showing her pearly white teeth.

Seeing his mom this close, it seems like she's more younger than I thought. He told me that he's already 43 but for me, he seems like 35 or something. Her wrinkles aren't visible yet, but it was obvious that she's already aging. She has the same eyes as L and also the lips. He's probably more like his mom.

"I always wanted to meet you, Yoobin. Myungsoo talks about you alot." she said, earning a whine from L. "Let's go, I knew you were coming so I decided to use my great cooking skills for this important event." she said as she held my hand and led me to the dining area.

We both sat down on the narrow table as she went to the kitchen to take the foods. "I told her not to do this but I guess she's to stubborn to listen anyway." he whispered as I slightly giggled. "Don't worry, your mom is kinda cute actually." I said as he smiled. "Yeah, she kinda acts childish too." he mumbled as I smiled at him. "Here you go." she announced as she placed down the food.

"I heard that your favourite is meatball spaghetti, so I made you one." she said as she clasped her hands together. I didn't her mom would put alot of effort just to make my favourite meal, I'm very touched. "Really? Thank you, Mrs- Omonim. It was too sweet you." I smiled. "Aniya, it was nothing, I need to treat you like a family now since..you know." she said as she winked at me. My cheeks reddened at the thought of me and Myungsoo getting married.

"Yah! Umma! Stop that." L blurted. "What? I didn't say anything." she retortedas L shook his head frantically. "Ara, ara. Let's eat." she said as I nodded. I was enjoying the savory goodnees of my spaghetti when her mom said something. "Oh, Yoobin dear, you have something on your lips." she said. "Oh! Mianhe." I said as I grabbed a napkin. L suddenly held my chin as he made me faced him. "I'll get that for you." he said as he wiped the corner of my lips.

"Awww. You two are so cute." My eyes suddenly widened. His mom was just seating infront of us and...we were being lovey dovey and all..Oh God. We both pulled away and I could see her grinning at us. This is so embarassing. "Yah! I should've gotten a picture of you two." she said. "Yaaah! Umma!" L whined. "What?" she innocently asked.

I was waiting at their living room. I must say, they know how to design a large room. There were red couches and a coffee table at the middle. A fireplace near it andthe Christmas tree standing tall, and underneath it is full of gifts. At the top of the fireplace is a family picture of L. Everyone of them were smiling brightly except for one, their dad. He seems serious and strict, I think this is where he had gotten his personality. Her dad looks abit aged than his mom, probably because of the stress he is getting from his work.

"Hey," an arm suddenly s around my waist. "Hey." I softly said. "Something bothering you?" he asked. I looked down as I shook my head. "It seems like you didn't get any personality from your mother." I stated. He held me tight as his breath came closer to my neck. "What do you mean? I'm funny...and cheerful." he said as I scoffed. "Psh. You're not even close to being funny." I retorted. "Yah! I'm funny! I always make you laugh when you're down." he answered. "You didn't even succeed." I said as I turned around to face him. "But still, I'm the reason why you always smile." he said as he leaned in.

"I HAVE PICTURES!"

We both pulled away as his mom looked at us. "Did I miss something?" she curiously asked as she looked at our awkward atmosphere. "Aniya, it's nothing." L said as he rubbed the back of his head. "Okayy, come, Yoobin. I'll let you see some picture of Myungsoo." she excitedly said as she grabbed my wrist. She made me sat down on the couch as she placed a big album on her lap.

She started to show me the childhood photos of Myungsoo, from the day that he was born until today. I could see the changes that occured to him. He did changed and grew alot. He still look like the same queit Myungsoo who I have met and loved. He was so cute when he was little, his eyes was so small and his chubby cheeks was very visible.

"Who's that?" I curiously asked as I pointed a guy wearing a uniform with a full shed of hair. "OH! That? It's Myungsoo, when he was in middle-school." her mom answered as my eyes widened. Myungsoo? The guy who looks like a hobo..is Myungsoo. "Scary, right? I'm glad puberty did him good." she laughed as I unconsciouly nodded. "Okay, that's enough now." L said as he grabbed the album.

"Hey! I was going to show her more of your pictures." she said. "You'll show her some othe times but we better go now." he said as he pulled my hand to stood up. "Really? I think it's still early." she said as she looked at the grandfather clock on the living room. "Yeah, but we don't want the night to reach us when we get there." he answered. Wait! What does he mean by 'we'? I looeked at him suspiciously as he gave me a nod, saying that he'll explain it later. "Okay, okay, just wait here. I'll just get something in the kitchen." she said as she dashed off.

"What do you mean by 'we'?" I exasperatedly asked. "I'll explain everything to you when we get to the car." he whispered. "But--" we both acted normal when his mom suddenly came back. "Yoobin, dear, here you go," she said as she handed me a bento box. "Eat it well with your family, okay? I made it really special." she smiled. "I..uhmm..Thank you, Omonim." I smiled at her.

"It was nice meeting you, Jihyun. I hope to meet you again when you get back from your trip." she said as she gave me a tight hug. "Nae, Omonim. Thank you for the meal." I said. "It was nothing. You're a part of the family now." she smiled gently at me. "And for you Myungsoo, take good care of her, okay?" she intently said as she looked at him. "Yes, mom, I will. I'll miss you." he said as he hugged his mom. "I'll also miss my baby boy." she said as she patted his back.

"We'll be going now, mom." he said. "Be careful on your trip, okay? Yoobin, make sure he behave." she giggled. "Mmm." I nodded. "Bye Mom!" he kissed her cheek as I bowed to her. He held my hand as we led me to his car.

After passing by their gate, I shifted my attention to L. "Okay, explain." I said. "Well, I'm spending my Christmas with you. YAAAY!" he said as I looked at him, surprised. "What?!! Are you serious?" I blurted. "Yea, I'm serious, Yoobin." he said in a serious tone. "Are you crazy? What about your trip with your parents?" I asked. "I'm not crazy, I'm perfectly fine. I already talked to my parents about this and they told me that it's okay if I miss one of our trips." he explained.

"Aren't they mad?" I asked. "No. Just calm down, Yoobin. We just need to enjoy the vacation together." he smiled. "Okay." I sighed as I sank down to my seat. He stopped when the light was red, he looked at me. "Hey, don't be like this, aren't you glad?" I sighed as I looked at him. "I am, I just don't want your parents to think about me being bad." I said. "Don't worry, they won't." he answered.

"You're getting cold," he said as he grabbed something at the backseat. "Here, something to make you warm." he said as he wrapped a red knitted, long scarf around my neck. "Perfect." he sweetly smiled as he kissed my forehead. "Thanks, Myungsoo." I smiled as he nodded.

I guess I'll have a different vacation this year.