A Day with Chaeyoung

Wedding Day - JIYONG & YOU

Jiyong smiles at you with that sly smile of his which makes your heart melt.  He looks into your living and sees that Appa is sitting at your couch.  He smiles and looks at you with very compassionate eyes.  You tell him to come in and he did without hesitation.  You can tell that he was very happy to see Appa.  Jiyong runs over to the living room and bowed to Appa. 

 

“Stop being so formal my son and give your Appa a hug.  It has been a while since I have seen you Jiyong-ah.”  Appa said while standing up and opening his arms.

 

As you watch Appa and Jiyong talking, you can’t help but feel heavy hearted.  This would be nice if Chaeyoung was here with you all.  After a few minutes of talking, Appa gets up and is getting ready to leave. 

 

“Appa, Jiyong is taking me to go see Chaeyoung.  Come with us Appa, so we can go as a family.” You said trying to get Appa to stay with you just a little longer.

 

“_________-ah.  I would love to come with you both but there is something else that I have to do.  You two go ahead.  Now that I know you are back, I will come see you my child.” Answered Appa while Jiyong was helping him put on his coat.

 

The three of you walked out the complex together.  You and Jiyong waved bye to Appa and started walking towards the park.  The cemetery is not too far of a walk and this will also give you both more time to talk and catch up.  You both walked through the park without saying a word.  You will see him take a couple of glances at you and than turn away.  You can’t help but smile a little inside. 

 

“________-ah, we are here.” Jiyong said while point over to the cemetery that is across the street.

 

You give a half broken smile and cross the street with him.  Your heart is slowly beating and you can already feel the tears coming.  This is it.  You look at Jiyong and he has no facial expression.  He looks straight ahead and just keeps walking.  You follow his movements and walked through the gates.  He leads you down the cemetery path and you notice that there is a little creek running along the side of the path.  You continue to follow his lead until Jiyong comes to a complete stop.  You look towards the direction that his eyes are starring at and you see a huge willow tree with shrubs gently falling down its sides.  Right underneath the shrubs you can see a huge pure white marble head stone.  There are two vases on each side of the head stone with white rose plants planted all around it.  A few feet away from this stunning head stone is a little bench.

 

Chaeyoung’s resting place is absolutely breathtaking.  It was peaceful and calming.  You look at Jiyong and see tears slowly falling down his cheek.  You grab his hand and started slowly walk towards Chaeyoung.  As you get closer, a warm breeze starts to blow and the white rose petals starts flying everywhere.  This sight brings you memories of the dream you had.  You tighten your hold on Jiyong’s hand and continue to walk closer.  As you get right in front of the head stone, Jiyong drops to his knees and starts to sob uncontrollably.  You can feel your legs getting weak and your body goes numb.  You use all of your strength to keep from crying but you just have a melt down.  You drop to your knees as well and cry with Jiyong.  You reach your hand and run your fingers along the tombstone.  You fingers outline the engraved stone and you trace the spelling of Chaeyoung’s name.  You notice a quote on the bottom of the tombstone which makes your heart hurt but melt at the same time. 

 

“Forever Young…Forever Missed…Forever Loved…Forever Chaeyoung”

 

You turn to Jiyong and smile because you remember the tattoo you saw on his rib cage.  Jiyong looks at you with questioning eyes.  You wipe away his tears and give him a hug.  You lean in and whisper into Jiyong’s ears….

“Oppa, Chaeyoung is lucky to have you as a husband.  When God created man, he also created woman using the man’s rib.  Women were created from the rib of man to be beside him, not from his head to top him, nor from his feet to be trampled by him, but from under his arm to be protected by him, near to his heart to be loved by him.  Even after death, Chaeyoung is still your rib, by your side to be loved by you near your heart…F-F-Forever Young…”

At that very moment, you knew that you just couldn’t love Jiyong like you promised Chaeyoung you would.  How could you love someone who was not meant to be yours in the first place?  You weren’t made from his rib even though you were close to his heart.

 

You turn and face Chaeyoung’s resting place again and whispered “I’m sorry”.  You got up and walked over to the near by bench to give Jiyong some time alone with Chaeyoung.  As you sit on the beach, your mind is running.  As much as you want to fulfill the promise, you just can’t find the strength to do so.  Jiyong was no longer yours.  You hide your face in the palms of your hand and let all the mix emotions you have come out from your eyes.

 

As you continued to cry, you felt a peck on the top of your head.  You look up to see Jiyong holding his fist out to you like they were clutching something tightly.  He slowly opens his hands and inside his palms were white rose petals.  You are confused by his actions and you look at him trying to figure out what is going on.  Jiyong smiles and gets on his knees in front of you in between your legs.  He looks at you deeply in the eyes and opens one of your hands and places the rose petals gently into your palms without removing his stare.

 

“You are right, when god created man, he did create woman using the man’s rib, but Chaeyoung was not made from my rib.  __________-ah, I had a dream about Chaeyoung too….”