9

Stupid, Sidetracked Love

Being with Baekhyun completely changed your life. Now there was someone other than Eena who made your days brighter.

However, thoughts about Kai still bothered you in the back of your mind, nagging with a tiny voice, "What about Kai? What about Kai?"

As much as you wanted to ignore it, your heart didn't listen - it sped up every time you looked at him or you walked past him in the hallways at school.

Kai didn't notice you or talk to you still. He didn't even glance at you. You felt a bit saddened by his ignorance of your feelings for him, but they were erased whenever you were with Baekhyun. That small fire in you heart didn't go out for Kai - it burned faintly, but still there.

After school on a bright spring Monday, you strolled down the busy sidewalk of Seoul, bobbing your head to the music you were listening to with your headphones.

You came to a crosswalk and walked across the street, unaware of the ongoing traffic about to hit you.

A pair of strong arms wrapped around your waist and hoisted you up high, whisking you back to the safety of the sidewalk. A car zoomed by where you were just standing.

You realized your heart was pounding in your chest. *Oh my gosh...de ja vu...*

The arms were still wrapped around your middle. You looked up past the rays of sunlight that blinded you, a handsome face appeared in your view - a face that you recognized.

He slid your headphones off your ears roughly. He narrowed his eyes at you and scowled, "Shouldn't you learn from your mistakes? Watch where you're going when you're walking across the street!"

Kai let you go and turned his back to you, walking away with his hands shoved into his pockets.

*He saved me twice* you thought, almost smiling. *So he does care about me.*

You chased after him and tugged on his sleeve. Kai looked down at you, looking surprised to see you beside him.

*What does she want now?* he wondered. Kai slowed down his pace a bit- you were running to catch up with his long strides.

You panted, "Thanks again. I...I'm sorry - you don't have to save me all the time, you know."

You smiled at him, making his knees feel weak.

*Damn. Why is her smile affecting me so much?* he thought, looking away from you and coldly staring ahead.

You let go of his sleeve and turned to leave, but his words stopped you in your tracks.

"You don't need to apologize...Just be careful in the future..." he said quietly.

He glanced back at you and continued to walk, leaving you behind without words.

You sighed and a smile spread across your face, shaking you head.

*That sly guy...* you thought. *Maybe our friendship can renew soon...*

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

You skipped lightly home, thinking back to Kai's words.

You don't need to apologize...Just be careful in the future.

Those words made your chest feel fuzzy inside. Those words signified the possibility that your relationship with Kai could get better soon.

You let yourself inside and ran up to your room, feeling like flying.

You squealed when someone grabbed your waist and picked you up, spinning round and round in a dizzy circle.

The person set you down and spun you around to face him.

Baekhyun chuckled and smiled at you. You lit up immediately and giggled, "How did you get in here?"

He jabbed his thumb at the door and replied, "Your mom let me in. Seems like she knows who I am now. Your 'friend'."

You laughed and fixed your hair back in place. "So why did you come over?"

"To see you, of course," Baekhyun said rolling his eyes playfully.

You smiled. *He's so sweet...*

"Oh, I have something for you. Hold on," he said, digging into his pocket.

Your eyes rounded. "Another gift?"

He grinned and pulled out a cell phone chain. It was a cute puffy onigirl charm:

"Oh my gosh it's so cute!" you exclaimed, taking it into your hands.

Baekhyun smiled. "You like it?"

You nodded excitedly. "Of course! But the problem is...my phone doesn't have a hole thingy where you tie phone charms onto."

His smile fell a little. "Oh...I'm sorry I should've checked with you if your phone was eligible for a charm..."

"Oh, no it's fine! Please don't worry about it!" you said quickly, smiling widely. *There he goes again...apologizing,* you thought in your head.

You looked around your room and had an idea. You went over to your calendar and hung the charm on the nail holding up your calendar.

"There! I can look at it everyday when I cross out the dates on my calendar!" you said brightly.

Baekhyun chuckled. "You're good then?"

You nodded. "Yup! No worries!"

*She's so optimistic about everything...* Baekhyun though admiringly, gazing at you with affection. He loved the way you were always looking for better solutions to everything. This was one of the things that attracted him to you.

You sighed and placed your hands on your hips, pouting.

"I have to do homework now..." you said.

Baekhyun smiled. "Do you want me to help?"

You shook your head. "No, I can do it myself."

"Then I guess this is my cue to leave," he said, winking.

You giggled and shooed him out of your room. You escorted him to the front door.

"You've done enough already. Then I'll see you later, oppa!" you said as Baekhyun slipped on his shoes and prepared to go out.

He smiled warmly and ruffled your hair, making your heart skip a beat.

"Be good," he said playfully and waved goodbye.

You watched as he left. *I'm always seeing him off somewhere...*

Your eyes scanned the scenery of cherry blossoms blooming on the trees in front of your house, making the street look bright and cheery. Then you spotted something move at the corner of your eye. You looked there and saw a figure hide behind one of the cherry blossom trees. You were able to see the person's face before he hid behind the tree, your mind spinning with confusion.

*That looked like...Kai?...* you wondered. You shrugged and went back inside.

Kai emerged from behind the tree again and watched your shrug as you went inside.

He blew air up his bangs. *Baekhyun...Why are you always around her? Why are you so comfortable around her and not me? Don't try to take her away from me...*