17

Stupid, Sidetracked Love

EXO "Don't Go" (Korean ver.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecpIDS863Kw
 

---------------------------------------

You took a public bus to Kai's house, the sky starting to darken and the temperature dropping a little.

You hopped off the bus, said good-bye and thank you to the bus driver, and walked down the road.

You rang the doorbell of the mansion and a few seconds after, Kai's mother opened the doors. Her face lit up and pulled you in - you were dazed and stumbled in, overwhelmed by her sudden chatter.

"Oh, SUKYUNG-AH!!! You're here! You're right on time! We were just about to start dinner! Come in, come in, take those shoes off, now. There we go - now, off to the dining room, you know where it is!" she said, gently pushing you.

You obeyed and slipped off your shoes, walking towards the vast dining room where Kai most likely was.

Your heart was speeding up, feeling nervous. *Is Kai mad at me for leaving with Baekhyun earlier?*

You stepped into the dining room and saw the table set up with delicious foods. Kai's dad was sitting at the head, and your parents were sitting next to each other, laughing with his dad. Kai was seated off the the side, unmoving and staring blankly at the plate in front of him.

You bit your lip when everyone looked up and greeted you.

"Oh, Sukyung-ah! You're here! I heard you were able to meet Baekhyun! He was also away in China to meet a few friends. Come, come and sit!" Kai's dad said heartily.

You gave him a small smile and glanced at Kai. He wasn't looking at you - he had completely ignored your entrance.

*He's so stubborn.* you sighed.

You took a seat at his left and bit your lip, not meeting eyes with him.

After Kai's mom came in and started the meal, it was very awkward in that little corner of the table where you and Kai were - he was silently eating, picking at his food with mindlessly.

You didn't have much of an appetite either. *Ugh, I want to break this awkward silence...But I can't! It's too hard...* you whined inside your head.

After mostly everyone finished eating, Kai's mom suddenly clapped her hands together. She turned to you and smiled, "Oh, I forgot to mention! If you were wondering why we didn't ask you to get a suit for Kai is because we wanted for him to wear his father's wedding suit from when he and I got married. Try it on for her, Kai! I'm sure she would like to see it!"

Kai gave you a momentary glance - your heart jumped - and he nodded silently.

"C'mon," he muttered, standing up from his seat and walking upstairs.

You followed him clumsily, feeling nervous. *I guess he must be pretty upset about before...*

Kai led you to his room. The shades were down, making the room have a dim blue glow. Yet somehow, it looked very bright. He went over to his closet and carefully took down a black suit from its hanger.

"Unless you want to stare at me changing, then turn around," Kai said bluntly, already taking off his shirt.

Cheeks burning, you quickly spun around facing the wall, sitting down at the edge of his bed and crossing your arms.

After a minute or so, you heard him softly say, "You can turn around now."

You slowly turned your head and saw Kai straightening out his suit jacket in front of his long mirror. His bow tie was hanging loosely from his neck, his sleeve cuffs messy and ed. He was wearing shiny black dress shoes to complete the look.

"Wow...it looks good on you," you said in awe, unable to stop staring at him. Kai looked at you from the mirror and smirked, buttoning his cuffs. "Thanks."

You came over to him and looked him up and down, your brows burrowed.

"Do you know how to tie that?" you pointed to his bow tie. Kai shrugged, "Nope."

"Then here, I'll help you," you said, reaching up to his neck.

Kai was a head taller than you, which made it a bit hard for you to reach him, but you managed without tiptoeing to fix his tie. Your sole focus was on his tie, trying hard not to look a few inches up to his eyes. Kai was staring at your face, making you feel uncomfortable.

You let go of his bow tie and sighed with content, "There, that's good enough. If you do your hair, it should look even better."

Kai blushed unintentionally, looking away in shyness. "Yeah, thanks," he muttered.

You smiled softly at him. *Does this mean we're okay now?*

Kai took one last look at his image reflected in the mirror. You gazed at his handsomeness. The dim blue light cast shadows on his face and body, making him seem like he was shooting for a music video or something. *This kind-of reminds me of...London...*

Yes, the London Eye - the second direct kiss from Kai, shocking you to the core, but gave you a fuzzy feeling inside.

Kai turned to you, snapping you out of your daze. He looked down at you without any expression. You looked up at him, puzzled. *What is he thinking right now?*

Kai was remembering that moment on the London Eye, too - that image of you staring up at him, that same confused and startled expression on your face. You were always so easy to read for him - your emotions were always written all over your face.

He finally looked away and sat down in his leather wheely chair at his desk, leaning back and sighing.

You took an awkward seat near him at his bed, your hands folded tensely at your lap.

"You know...there was a girl named Ellen who was just like you in ia..." Kai suddenly spoke.

You looked up at him, an amazed expression on your face. *Is he finally opening up to me about his past life?*

Kai's eyes looked like they were remembering something happy and painful at the same time, a nostalgic expression apparent on his face.

"She was clumsy, loud, annoying, always hyper, beautiful...but most of all - understanding," Kai described, looking straight at you. Your heart skipped a beat as your eyes widened. "Just like you."

You blushed and looked down, "So you were in love with her, right?"

Kai hesitated before answering, "Yeah. I was."

There was silence after that, but he added in, "But I think it was because she reminded me so much of you. She was just like you - same personality. I swear, you guys could've been long-lost sisters or something." Kai shook his head and smirked.

He continued, "I eventually asked her out when we were both 14 after having a crush on her for two years, and we went out for about two years...She was so...amazing. I really loved her, and I did everything I could for her. Because it was Ellen - that was the only reason."

You nodded, a pang of hurt and jealously hitting your heart. What was the point of telling you all this? - that he loved a girl other than you?

"Last year was when I found out that she had been cheating on me the whole time," Kai said monotonously.

You felt shocked. *How dare she cheat on Kai! That witch!*

Kai rubbed his forehead tiredly and closed his eyes, reminiscing. "She was going out with a really close friend of mine secretly while going out with me. One of my other friends told me this secret, and of course, I was heartbroken and angry at her. And myself."

"Why? Why at yourself? You didn't do anything wrong," you broke in, feeling terrible for Kai. *He must've been through so much pain from that heartbreak...*

Kai looked up at you. You were surprised to see him smiling a little. "I was mad at myself...because of two reasons. One - I didn't understand why I fell in love with her at first. Two - I realized...for the first time, that I was actually in love with you. That I was only using Ellen as a hole-filler in my heart."

You jaw dropped open, but you quickly closed it, blushing like crazy. *Oh my gosh, what is he saying??*

He gazed at you more confidently, "I was actually longing for you. That parallel personality in her reminded me so much of Song Sukyung - I didn't realize I was in love with you until I heard about Ellen cheated on me..."

"But...you were so cold to me when we met again at school that day..." you trailed off, almost afriad to hear his explanation.

"My whole self was changed after breaking up with Ellen - I think fell in love with Ellen too deeply, and memories of us together kept coming back to me...I guess I was a bit attached to her. After experiencing heartbreak like that, my personality naturally changed and got colder to everyone, I guess," Kai said, shrugging.

"Oh, so that's why you were acting that way to me...You didn't want to fall in love again and experience something like that...again," you said softly.

Kai's expression turned a shade darker, but he looked at you with a hopeful look. "That's why I need to know - do you love me, Sukyung?"

You were taken aback by his straight-forward question and stuttered, "W-What? Why are you a-asking about that all of a sudden - "

"I need to know right now. Do you love me? Because I love you - I think I've said that before already. I need to know if my feelings are being accepted and returned," Kai said boldly.

"I...I -uh - " you stammered. You gasped when Kai suddenly got up from his chair and came over to you in big strides. He leaned into you, holding one of your balled, tense fists. His face was so close to yours, your heart was beating louder enough for Kai to hear.

You gulped. Kai leaned closer, noses barely touching. His eyes closed and he whispered, "Please...say yes...Say you love me back..."

The words were stuck in your throat, but you finally blurted them out - "Stupid."

Kai blinked and looked at you in surprise. You blushed and looked down. "Stupid - don't you have any manners? Asking such startling questions like that..."

Kai was quiet for a few seconds. "Then... is that a - "

"Yes," you finished quickly.

Kai's eyes lit up and stared into yours. "What?"

"I said yes, stupid! Yes, I love you!" you shouted, feeling annoyed and shy and embarrassed.

Kai didn't move at all - but when he unfroze, he wrapped his arms around you and pulled you in for a kiss.

Your eyes widened and tensed up even more when his hand supported the back of your neck to pull you closer.

You started slapping his arm, trying to struggle to get free, but Kai just hugged you tighter. You could feel his lips forming a sly smile as he kissed you. *This ert! He thinks this is funny??*

He finally let you go, leaving you gasping for air and your face beet red. You hid your face in your hands and wailed, "Stupid! What was that for?"

Kai laughed loudly for the first time since the encounter with Baekhyun that day and replied, "You were being way too cute for your own good - now I know my feelings are being returned."

You looked at him through your fingers, seeing him smile brightly. You couldn't help but smile as well. *He should keep smiling like that - he looks so happy and approachable when he smiles and laughs like that.*

"I should just ask our parents to make the wedding tomorrow," Kai said, walking out of the room in his suit.

Your eyes rounded, "WHAT? Yah, Kai! KAI! DON'T YOU DARE - "

You ran after him, yelling at him in a panic while the parents were staring at the two of you, Kai smiling like an idiot.

*Things are finally starting to look up a bit...* Kai thought to himself, a load of burden taken off his heart.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MY LOVELY SUBSCRIBERSSSSS~~~~~ ^^

I'm so sorry for not updating in a while! As you probably all do - I have a ton of finals coming up in school, and I have them starting thursday all the way till the 19th of June TT.TT This means that I will not be able to update during this time, so consider this as a mini hiatus :'(.

OMG WHO HEARD EXO'S NEW ALBUM??????????????? I'M ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEIR SONGS IN "XOXO" OHMYGAHHHHHHHH TT.TT

I CANNOT. PICK. AN. EXO. BIAS. ;A; (But Kai is a bit higher on my list :P)

I'm absolutely lovein' every song, especially "Don't Go" ^^ It sounds soooooo pretty~~~ <3333 (Which is why i set it up as this chapter's background song :D. IT FITS THE SITUATION SO WELL!!! /CRIES)

Thank you all for reading, commenting, and subscribing! I love you all! Please look forward to the next update in about two weeks or so! (Please be patient till then!)