33

Stupid, Sidetracked Love

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9ihs3EZerM

 

Taeyeon - "Closer" (To the Beautiful You OST)

----------------------------------------------

 

"Sukyung?" a voice called softly.

You looked up and saw Kai walking towards you. You quickly turned your head and wiped away the tears on your face and turned back to him as he sat down on the bench next to you.

You put on a smile and asked, "Yeah?"

Kai observed your face with concerned eyes. You couldn't meet him in they eye and looked down.

"Why were you crying? Who were you talking to on the phone?" he asked.

"Oh...It was Baekhyun oppa..." you answered, your gaze on the grass by your feet.

"...It...was?" Kai murmured, leaning back in the bench and sighing.

You nodded. "Yeah. I just asked him a question, that's all."

"What kind of question?"

"But...did you know Kai? Baekhyun oppa...likes me...a lot," you whispered, your hands tightening into fists on your lap.

Kai stiffened, "I...I had a good instinct that he did...Did he confess to you?"

"Honestly, I don't think he confessed to me verbally - he did it with his actions towards me...And I feel terrible that I'm just throwing away his feelings for me out the window..." you said, your voice shaking as tears welled up in your eyes.

There was silence for a while, but Kai finally said with a sigh, "Don't feel so terrible, Sukyung-ah...He'll find someone else soon...And besides, you never would've decided to agree in marrying me if you really loved Baekhyun..."

"Hey, it was an arranged marriage at first, stupid," you teased, punching his arm lightly.

"Ow! Yah!" Kai yelped, pretending that you hit him hard, rubbing his arm.

Your facial expression changed from smiling to worried. "W-What? I only hit you lightly!"

Kai snickered and pointed at your face, "Haha, you're so gullible!"

He laughed like crazy while you stared at him, trying hard not to laugh along with him.

Kai suddenly stopped laughing and leaned into your face, "In all seriousness, you agreed to it. Why? Regretting that you're gonna marry this handsome face?"

You made a face and turned away from him, crossing your arms. "You...You've never properly asked me...It doesn't feel official yet."

Kai smirked and stood up. You looked up at him, a bit surprised when he took a step in front of you and faced you. He got down on one knee and reached into his jeans pocket, pulling out a small white box.

You watched in amazement as he opened the top, revealing a sparkling diamond ring in a heart shape.

"Will you marry me, Song Sukyung?" Kai asked, a smirk visible on his face.

You blushed redder than the sunset in the sky and felt the tear that was waiting to fall from your eye.

Kai looked surprised and confused, "Why are you crying again?"

"Stupid! Why did you buy a ring? It must've been so expensive!" you shouted, more tears falling.

"Yah! I'm a high class citizen on Korea! I have lots of money, and buying this to propose to you wasn't such a big dent in my bank account!" Kai said back, rolling his eyes.

You sniffled, "Stupid..."

Kai took the ring out of the box and held it up, "So what's your answer? Will you marry me or not?"

You brushed off the tears on your cheeks and sniffled again, nodding with a smile spreading across your face.

Kai took your left hand and carefully slid the ring onto your ring finger. You held up your hand to the sky, admiring it.

Kai got up and sat next to you, looking at your side profile, a smile of satisfaction and happiness on his face.

"So. You like it? The ring and that I proposed officially?" he questioned.

You turned to him and nodded fast, smiling wide. "Yup. Thanks, Kai."

Kai leaned back and made a face, "Eyyyy are you only going to say 'thanks, Kai'? I deserve more than that."

"What do you want?"

Kai tapped his lips with his finger and smiled sweetly at you.

"Aigoo, you stupid stupid boy," you joked. You willingly leaned in to peck his waiting lips, but Kai pulled you in at the last minute and held you in his arms, kissing you for a long time. Your eyes fluttered closed and you enjoyed this moment with him, safe in Kai's arms and the sun setting behind the skyline of the city.

*I'm so happy that I chose you and you chose me, Kai. I'll never, ever regret it...*

 

------------------------------------------

Kai drove you home in his car as the sky was getting darker. He didn't get out of the car when he finally arrived at the front of your house. You faced him and held up your hand with the ring.

"Thanks again for this, Kai. I really didn't expect a proposal from you...Especially since this was an arranged marriage at the beginning," you said.

Kai waved his hand, "Whatever. I'll buy anything in the world for you. How are the puppies doing?"

"They're doing fine. They've grown so much! Come in and play with them when you come over next time!"

He smiled and nodded, "Definitely. You should go in now - your parents must be waiting for you."

"Okay, bye!" you said, but you suddenly felt a hand grab your wrist.

You looked at Kai curiously, wondering why he was stopping you.

He undid his seatbelt and leaned over to you. Your heart thumped loudly when he stopped right in front of your lips, his dark eyes staring deeply into yours.

He smirked, "Are you always this nervous when I lean in to kiss you? I hear your heart thumping like a hammer."

You blushed. "Shut up! I'm not allowed to be nervous when you're this close to my face?"

Kai rolled his eyes and leaned in further, your lips meeting his. His lips softly moved against yours for what seemed like forever.

You pushed his chest, your face red as a tomato, and said, "I really gotta go now. I'll see you tomorrow!" You opened the car door and ran to the doorstep.

Kai watched you as you went in. He saw you look back at him and give him a timid wave before the front door closed shut.

He unconsciously chuckled and shook his head. *That girl...What am I ever going to do if you're not in my life?*