26

Stupid, Sidetracked Love

Despite the dizzyness and coughing that you woke up with the next morning was pretty severe, you went to school to keep up with the school work.

Your symptoms were starting to get worse, and soon, the math equation in your workbook was floating around, as if teasing you that you can't get the right answer.

*Is my cold that bad?* you wondered, closing your eyes and holding a hand against your head.

After all classes were finished, you stayed in your seat for a while, trying to make the dizzyness stop, but it didn't.

*I should get home now...With or without Kai,* you thought. You stood up, supporting your weak body on your desk, and took a step. You fell forward, unable to stop yourself.

Suddenly, two strong hands caught you before you could hurt yourself, holding you up against a broad chest.

"Sukyung? Sukyung-ah! What's going on? Get a hold of yourself! Sukyung-ah!" Kai's voice yelled with panic, but slowly, everything blurred and turned black.

 

--------------------------------

 

You woke up in your room, in bed with a warm towel on your forehead. You turned your eyes to your side and saw Kai sitting next to the bed, a worried look on his face. He looked at you and realized you had opened your eyes. Relief flooded his face and he quickly leaned forward.

"Sukyung-ah! Are you okay? Nothing hurts? You don't feel dizzy?" he asked.

You didn't answer and just looked away, feeling somewhat uncomfortable being around him.

"...Sukyung-ah. Why are you looking at me?" Kai asked in a quiet tone.

He gently turned your head his way and was surprised to see tears falling from your eyes.

"Sukyung-ah, why are you crying?" he asked, alarmed.

*You stupid...You stupid Kai...I don't ever want to lose you ever...Not to Eena or anyone else...Don't you see I've been going through so much stress and anxiety because of you?* you thought, sniffling.

He sighed and closed his eyes, rubbing his temples slowly. "I can't know what's wrong if you don't tell me, Sukyung..."

"You really don't know why?" you suddenly said, your voice shaking.

He looked straight at you and asked in confusion, "What?"

"You...You're terrible," you simply put, turning away from him again.

*What is she talking about?* Kai wondered, feeling exasperated.

"Look, I'll leave...I don't think my being here is helping," Kai said, standing up.

He waited for you to say something, but you didn't, and with a puzzled expression, he left your room. More hot tears spilled from your eyes, dripping down your cheeks.

*Why does all this have to happen right after things were getting better for us?*

 

-------------------------------

 

"Kai! Come here!" you barked, pointing to the spot in front of you.

Confused, Kai ran over with his short legs, his soft brown hair bouncing as he came over to you.

"What is it?" he asked.

"I heard from my friend that you're flirting with that girl Yeonseo!" you said, tears starting to form.

"What? Your friend is lying! I was only asking her if I could borrow a pencil from her!" Kai said in defense.

"Yeah, right! I thought you said you would only like me and no one else! I hate you!" you shouted in his face. You ran off, tears flowing freely now.

 

--------------------------------

 

That night, Kai came over to your desk and tapped your shoulder. You looked up at him, surprised to see him with a bittersweet smile.

"What?" you asked him.

"I felt bad for making you mad, so I made this for you," he said, taking out a paper rose form behind his back. "I'm sorry."

You gasped at it and took it into your hands gently, marveling at the origami that he created.

"It's so pretty! Thank you, Kai!" you beamed, smiling at him.

He blushed and nodded. "So...you're not made anymore?"

You shook your head quickly, "I wasn't that mad...I think I was mad that time because I like you too much. I'm sorry, too."

"That's good!" Kai laughed. You started laughing as well, the problem now mended.

 

 

 

 

You woke up suddenly, the dream fading away. You sighed and closed your eyes again.

*That time with Yeonseo too...Why is it so hard for me now to tell him that I like him?*