`thirty one.

Princess & The Thief
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 31 "The Final Heist"  

Mr. Im, Myungsoo, and Howon all raced toward the ward where Yoona is in. The three of them rode in Mr. Im’s car. Myungsoo doesn’t even know why he would be kind enough to offer a ride for Howon and him. But that’s not important right now.

Once they got into the right ward, Mr. Im was the first one to break down. He held Yoona’s hand that’s infused with various IV bags.

“My daughter… My poor daughter..” He muttered.

Myungsoo and Howon soon followed behind him, not believing what’s lying in front of them. Howon covered his mouth, feeling nauseous all of the sudden. He just hates the smell of hospitals.

Myungsoo couldn’t look at her, so he looked away from where she’s lying helplessly at. If he looks at her a bit longer, he might just faint right then. The sight of his girlfriend lying unconsciously on bed with a bandage wrapped around her head and countless of IV drips attached to her arm is just too terrifying for him.

“Howon, what happened exactly?” Myungsoo turned to face Howon whose face had turned pale and green.

Howon locked eyes with Myungsoo. “W-We were walking back to the house and… and you know that crossroad near our house?”

Myungsoo nodded, already knowing what he’s going to say next.

“That’s where she got… you know.” Howon couldn’t finish his sentence. The horrifying scene of her getting hit by a vehicle that is four times her size is traumatizing.

Myungsoo briefly closed his eyes, trying to take in all the facts into his brain. For a moment there, he doubted his capability of protecting her.

 

A cup of coffee appeared in front of Myungsoo out of the blue, snapping him back to reality. He looked up to see Mr. Im, handing him the warm liquid.

“Thank you.” Myungsoo muttered before taking the cup. Another action that swept him off his feet. First he offered a ride and then this…

The sun already set when Myungsoo got out of the room to get some fresh air while Howon went back home because he had to go to work the next day. Mr. Im though, decided to stay longer.

Myungsoo took a sip of the coffee while Mr. Im sat down next to him. For a moment, the two just sat there in silence, busy with their own trail of thoughts.

“The doctor said that she only got minor injuries, so there’s nothing to be worried about.” Mr. Im tried to cheer him up. He had a conversation with the doctor earlier, just before he noticed that Myungsoo is sitting out there at the hospital’s courtyard.

“That’s… good to hear.” Myungsoo muttered. Why is he telling me all this?

Mr. Im took a look at the younger lad. “You know, this isn’t your fault, Mr. Kim. No one is to be blamed for this. It’s just an accident. All we can do now is to be grateful that no one passed away from this accident.”

Myungsoo didn’t say anything as he continued to stare at his cup of coffee. But she got hurt… And I wasn’t there to protect her.

“Mr. Im,” Myungsoo finally said after a while.

Mr. Im hummed in reply.

“Why are you suddenly being nice to me?” He confessed his insecurity.

Mr. Im stared at him for a moment, taking in his sudden confession before he let out a chuckle while Myungsoo continued to stare at him in confusion.

“For the last few weeks I’ve been thinking about the things that make my only daughter happy and you, Mr. Kim… no I mean, Myungsoo-ssi, is her only happiness. I’ve never seen her behaving this way before, not even when she’s with Minho, whom I thought could make her happy.” Mr. Im finished off with a sigh.

“So you’re saying that…” Myungsoo lingered his sentence, unsure of what this is all about.

“What I’m trying to say is that you have my permission.”

“Permission to what?”

Mr. Im clicked his tongue in annoyance. “To court her, date her, whatever you call it. And if you try to ask another thing about this, Myungsoo-ssi, I’d consider this conversation never happened.” Mr. Im glared at him.

“O-kay…” Myungsoo had his eyes rounded like an owl. Did the great-almighty Mr. Im

“I now trusted her in your hands, Myungsoo-ssi. Please take good care of her.” Mr. Im patted his shoulder for the last time before he walks away from him.

The day ends up just like that. Mr. Im left the hospital, while Myungsoo is the one who waits for her.

Myungsoo went back to the room once the elder is gone. He sat down on a chair beside her bed and heaved a sigh. He then grabbed her hand and gave it a light squeeze. I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you, Yoon.

 

When Yoona tried to open her eyes for the first time, the light almost blinded them. She squint her eyes and tried to sit up on the bed when her head throbbed painfully. She let out a wince and touched her head, in hope to ease the pain. But there’s something wrong with her head. She could feel something smooth wrapped around her head and there’s also… damp cotton? Just what? She furrowed her eyebrows.

“Oh you’re awake!” She heard a male’s voice just beside her.

Yoona turned to look at the source of the voice, which is of course, Myungsoo.

Myungsoo had a smile on his face whilst his half-asleep state. He couldn’t sleep at night thanks to the hard chair he’s sitting on. He didn’t even get a blanket from the nurse, which made everything even worse.

Yoona blinked at him a couple of times before realizing where she is right now. IV tubes, uncomfortable bed, and that horrible hospital smell… “Why am I here?” She asked Myungsoo.

Well that wasn’t the expected reaction. He expected something like in dramas, where she wakes up and then has amnesia which is totally cliché. Neverthless, Myungsoo is glad because she doesn’t seem to show any signs of amnesia. She didn’t even ask for her own name! That has to be a good thing, right? “You got into an accident, Yoon. Howon was there when it happened. Good thing that guy is quick with his senses.” Myugnsoo let out a soft chuckle.

Yoona listened carefully on his explanation. Everything seems to make sense, but there’s one thing… Howon… I think I’ve heard that name somewhere… She squint her eyes once more.

“I should go get the doctor to check up on you.” Myungsoo said after a moment of silence. He noticed that she kept squinting her eyes every now and then. I wonder if she’s actually hurting…

“Okay.” She replied before Myungsoo got out of the room to get the doctor in charge.

 

The doctor checked her pupils with his pocket flashlight.

“She seems to be fine. No signs of brain damage or the like. She can go home in a few days, after her scratches and wounds have healed.” The doctor gave her a pleasant smile before walking out of the room.

“I’m so glad you’re okay, my daughter.” Mr. Im gave her a bear hug right away.

Yoona gave him a weak smile. “I’m fine now, dad. You got nothing to worry about.”

Mr. Im reluctantly let go of her as he let out a couple of sniffling sounds.

Myungsoo couldn’t help but to smile at the scene. Never once did he thought of seeing the elder male sniffling and wiping his tears off of his face. Just from this one scene proves how much Mr. Im loves his daughter. Makes sense because she’s the only family he have.

Yoona’s gaze fell upon Myungsoo’s. Only then she noticed Myungsoo’s clothing; white cable-knit sweater and jeans. Very casual. “Why aren’t you wearing your suit?” She furrowed her eyebrows for the umpteenth time.

“What?”

“Why are you wearing casual clothes? Aren’t bodyguards supposed to wear black suits and all that?” She asked again.

This time, it’s Myungsoo’s turn to furrow his eyebrows. What did she just say?

Mr. Im rushed back to her with a worried look plastered onto his face. Why would her daughter thought of him as her bodyguard? He had quit from that position for more than 2 months now. And more importantly, she was there. She should know this. Or not. “What are you talking about, sweetie?” Mr. Im held her shoulders. “Don’t you remember that he’s your bo-”

“Bodyguard.” Myungsoo quickly cut him off.

Mr. Im turned around to look at Myungsoo. If eyes could talk then they’d say, “Just what are you doing?”

“Yes. That’s what I said; bodyguard.” Yoona gave the two of them a look. Why do I feel like I just said something wrong?

On the other hand, Mr. Im and Myungsoo exchanged looks. And for a moment, they just stay like that.

“Will you excuse us, my daughter? I need to talk to Bodyguard Kim.” Mr. Im left the room first.

Myungsoo was about to follow him, but not before he glanced over her way. The clueless look on her face made him smile. If only she knew how cute she looks when she scrunches her nose like that… But then again, would she even care if he told her that? I believe not. Myungsoo frowned and left the room.

 

“I don’t know what you’re planning, Myungsoo-ssi, but this better be good.”

Mr. Im disliked the idea of Myungsoo pretending to be her bodyguard instead of her boyfriend.

“Don’t you worry, Mr. Im. I know what I’m doing.” Myungsoo whispered the last sentence.

The truth is, Myungsoo himself wasn’t so sure about this. Just what was he doing and what he’s going to do next… it all seems blurry to him, which

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter