You don't belong to me.

Back To December.

“Jung Sooyeon! You’re such a—you’re—ughh!” yelled Sooyoung.

 

“You’re really a pabo Sica—” sighed Hyoyeon along with Sunny.

 

“Why did you do that? You thought you’re the female lead from some kind of drama? Sacrifices your love for your..best friend? I mean—this is reality!” continued Sooyoung again. Ever since Jessica told them what happened, she had completely gone wild. She couldn’t understand why Jessica did that.

 

“Say what you want—I’m going to bed—” Jessica placed her glass of water and walked silently into her room. From her back view, one could say that she was totally sad too.

 

“Yah—you’re too over Choi Sooyoung.” defended Yuri. “Just respect her decision, would you?”

 

/

 

With only the presence of the moonlight shining through the glass window during late night, Tiffany sneaked into Jessica’s room quietly. She slid into the blanket which Jessica was using.

 

“Fany?” she asked weakly.

 

“Sorry—did I disturb you? I thought you’re asleep—”

 

“No—I wanted to sleep but I can’t—”

 

“Let’s have a girls talk then—Are you okay Jessie?” asked Tiffany while staring at her best friend beside her, “Don’t care what Sooyoung said okay? She’s just—concerned about you.”

 

“I don’t blame her either—”

 

“I saw some bruises on your arm just now, is it—”

 

“He was mad—so—just, yeah. You know—”

 

“Are you sure this is what you want?” questioned Tiffany while glaring up the ceiling, “You might regret—I mean, he’s all what you want—but you’re letting him off like that so easily—”

 

“I know right? It’s just—it comes too suddenly. And I don’t even know what did I do—the thing that I’m sure is, I felt like I needed to do something for Hara—”

 

“Hara? But you just knew her for weeks—You—”

 

“Whenever I see her, I see the past Jessica. That lonely Jessica which I didn’t have any friend at all. Before I met you guys at high school—I was all alone. School, home, everything—And the one thing I saw when I walked out of my house in San Francisco, there were—lots of people. Friends—” she paused, “I might sound like I wanted to be a hero or something, but I’m not. She’s leaving—she—”

 

“I get it—but just, don’t hurt yourself for other people’s happiness—it isn’t worth—”

 

/

 

Two months had passed like that, Jessica and Donghae still weren’t contacting each other. Donghae always picked up his phone and searched for her contact, but after a few seconds, he threw his phone back to the table. He knew she wouldn’t answer the call.

 

“How are you feeling today?” asked Jessica. She put the basket of fruits on the table and walked towards Hara, “Feeling any better?”

 

“Yeah—” she smiled. That smile. No matter how much pain she was in, Hara always managed to give off that bright smile.

 

“Get well soon—okay? There will be a miracle—Keep your faith—”

 

All of the girls were walking down the stairs after visiting Hara, where Donghae suddenly grabbed Jessica’s wrist. “Can we—have a talk?” he asked gently. “It won’t take you long—”

 

Jessica remained silent as she saw her friends gave them some moment alone. “Please—”

 

“I’m sorry—I gotta go. They’re waiting.” she answered with a light grin, her eyes weren’t locking into Donghae’s gaze.

 

/

 

They all waited for miracle, but it hadn’t come. In early July, the pills Hara was taking were increased to help offset the heightened pain she was feeling. The higher dosages made her dizzy, and twice she fell when walking to the bathroom. Though she was able to walk normally, the pain she was feeling intensified. Days went by quickly with Donghae accompanying by her side each day. The disease had weakened the rest of her body as well, making even simple things more difficult. Soon, walking became a hard thing for her, unless it was only for a short range.

 

/

 

Hara was in her bed under the covers, a tube in her arm feeding her the medication she needed. Her face was pale enough, her body feather light. Now, she had to be supported by someone else since she could barely walk, and the one was no other than Donghae.

 

He sat by her side and looked at her, quietly. Was she the naughty, playful girl that I’ve known since I was 5? The one that would do pranks whenever she had a chance? The one that would hug me whenever she saw me? The one—Now, he only saw a smaller size girl, almost like the little kindergarten kid again.

 

Hara squeezed his hand with a weak grip, smiling tenderly at him. “Oppa—”

 

“What can I do for you?” he pleaded, he really didn’t want to see his best friend to be in such condition.

 

“Sun—sunrise—”

 

Donghae glared at the wall clock, then back to the window. The last of the night rain had passed, it had been a gloomy day. “Sunrise—” she repeated, softly.

 

He nodded. He brought everything she needed and took her for a few-hour-road-trip before they reached the destination. Although it was summer, but for Hara, she felt incredibly cold from time to time. She sat on the passenger seat and fell asleep within 5 minutes. By the time they reached there, Donghae carried Hara out and now they were sitting on the sand with her in between his legs. She laid her head on his chest while Donghae put his hands on her thigh.

 

Don’t get him wrong, that’s not a sign of him loving her. Just a thing that he would do for his close friend.

 

In time, the glowing sum began its seeming rise from the sea, casting a prism of light across the sea, splitting itself into a thousand different parts. At exactly the same moment, the moon was slowly “fading” in the opposite direction. The sky slowly turned into a mixture of red-yell-orange color. The water turned golden silver, water rippling and sparkling with the changing light.

 

“It’s beautiful—isn’t it?” Her breath shallow and weak. “I love sunrise—” she continued.

 

“I can take you here often if you want—only if you listen to the doctor’s orders—okay?” he asked gently.

 

“No—I can’t come here anymore—” she answered as if she knew something. “I can’t—”

 

“Shh—” Donghae shot her lines down. He didn’t want to hear those negative thoughts as tears slowly formed in his eyes.

 

“Thanks oppa—” this time, Hara grabbed his hands and patted it. “Thanks—”

 

“Neh?”

 

“I know what’s the reason you did all this—I know it was my dad’s idea—”

 

“No—don’t say that—I—”

 

“Anyway, thanks for doing this for me—although you’re always by my side these months, but I know where your heart belongs to—”

 

“Hara—don’t—”

 

“Treat her well okay?” Hara requested. “If not I’ll be angry.”

 

“Yah you—treat her well. She’s my girlfriend—If not your oppa will be mad.”The exact words that he said before. His tears dropped on her head without her notice.

 

For half an hour, they both watched off the sunrise without a word. The breathtaking view and the calming waves. Hara grinned as her hand slowly let off of Donghae’s.

 

“H—Hara..y..yah—” his voice shaking.

 

Bye, oppa.