What's Final is Final.

Smooch Me Under the Table

[Hae Young POV]

"Yoboseyo?" My phone had been ringing non-stop for the past 20 minutes and I finally decided to answer it.

"Noona." The other person whined back playfully.

"Sungjong-ah?" I asked, though his voice sounded different.

"Do I really sound like Sungjong?"

"Kai?" I asked again, finally recognizing the voice. "Who said you could call me Noona. Stop. It's weird." I lied. I actually liked it. It was sort of y when he said it. Everything was y when he said it.

"Do you want to come watch EXO rehearse today? I don't have a free schedule but I don't want you to be alone..." He pleaded.

"My fathers service is today. Sorry." 

"Let me go with you! I can ask manager hyung if I can miss one rehersal    "

"No Kai. I have some things I need to take care of alone. Go to your rehersal and stop calling me so often." I said sternly, cutting him off.

"Alright.. Are you sure you'll be okay?"

"Yes. Stop worrying." 

I pulled my last strand of hair into place and left my room. 

"Oh, Sungjong. You're here." I linked my arms in his. "Let's go." 


 


Our black car pulled up to the cemetary. I'd never been to one, as far as I could remember. The last person to die before my father was my mom, but I certainly don't remember that funeral and I never wanted to visit her memorial. I always felt I was responsible for her death. The graveyard was just how I always expected one to be    grey, gloomy, quiet. In contrast, the weather was sunny, not a cloud in the sky. The warm sun kissed my cheeks and I was instantly reminded of my father, though his kisses never left behind a fresh spray of freckles. 

We reached the place of his service. His coffin was large, and glossy black. I hated that it was black. It was such a dull and depressing color. When I die I want my coffin to be a bright and happy yellow, to remind people not to cry over me for too long. 

Sungjong and I took our seats next to his mother. She was dabbing at her eyes with a small white cloth though I knew no tears were falling from them. She never really loved my father. I think they were just fond of each other. I never knew why my father married for fondness, but he did it twice. Sometimes I wonder if he actually loved my mother. 

Suddenly Sunjong nudged me, gesturing to the stand. It was my turn to speak. I fixed my hair and dress before shuffling up to the podium which stood next to the coffin.

"Appa. Though you are gone, I feel as though you are still present. I never got to see you that often in the first place, so during the past few days I've pretended that you are still here, sitting in your office and looking at the picture of us in New York. Though after a while, pretending becomes more difficult. I haven't recieved a daily phonecall from you. I haven't had your secretary call me and cancel or postpone any of our plans. I haven't had Ommuni call begging me to visit more because you can't stand that we are apart too often.

You were the best father any daughter could have. You took me into your lap even as an adult, and held me when I cried. You sent me to worlds top schools so that one day we could work side by side. I remember when I was young we would always talk about the office we would share. My side would be bright pink, with a Hello-Kitty themed desk and barbie dolls lined up on shelves on the wall. You always joked that your side would be superhero themed, with a big cutout of Superman stuck on the window so we could pretend he was flying past to save Lois Lane." I started to cry.

"But now there won't be a superhero pasted to the glass, because your life went by too fast while mine slowly inching along. Today is a sunny day, but I feel so cloudy inside, Appa." I looked up. "But now that I look at the sun, it seems brighter than it ever has before. Maybe you're making it shine so much because you don't want me to feel dreary anymore. I feel guilty that I had to be so sad during your last few days, you probably worried. You worried so much that you arranged everything in your will so I could.." I saw Yunho standing in the back, arms folded and leaning against a tree."be happy. Thank you Appa. I'm not going to say goodbye because I know somehow, someday, we will meet again." 

Everyone clapped as I stumbled back to my seat, and Sungjong went up to speak, followed by my step mother, and my father's best friend. 

After the speeches were given, the coffin was lowered into the ground and we each threw dirt and flowers into the grave. This is was the last time that my father would be exposed to the light of day. I felt almost evil placing him in the cold ground like that, the winter frost well on it's way. The funeral continued on as people mingled and remembered my father. I just sat next to his grave. I always clung to my father at such events, why should this one be any different? A hand holding a glass of champange was lowered down next to me. For a fleeting moment, I hoped it was Kai.

"I'm sorry for your loss Hae Young-ah." Yunho said, still holding out the champange. I took it, maybe it would blur my vision so I wouldn't have to look at his face anymore. 

"Thanks." I drank the beverage in one gulp and pushed the glass back into his chest and started to walk away, but he grabbed my wrist.

"How does it feel to be my fiancee again?" He said, a satisfied grin on his face.

"I'm not your fiancee." I said, yanking my wrist from his grip, but not walking away.

"It was your fathers dying wish that we be wed. And here we are." He slipped his arm around my waist, making me wiggle in attempt to get him off. "So when's the wedding, honey?" He breathed down my neck. I shivered under his touch, he still had an effect on me. His lips touched my shoulder, and I almost streched my neck sideways to give him more access, but quickly recovered from the trance he always puts me under.

"I'm seeing someone else." I reminded him.

"You're already cheating on me? Tsk tsk." He said, shaking his head.

"You should be one to talk about cheating." I spat at him.

"That was then. And this is now. We're together until death do us part." He swung me around so I was next to him. 

I whispered into his ear. "Don't make me get violent at my fathers funeral." A chuckle escaped from Yunho's throat and he placed his hands on my waist, going up and down my torso. I knew in some part of my brain I wanted him to touch me more, I wanted to feel him more.

 "I know you don't mean it. I know deep down, that you still want this. And here I am, ready to be your husband. Ready to take care of you forever." He slipped a ring on my finger. "You left this behind in Jeju. Finally I am able to return it to you." He placed his sloppy lips on my cheek and walked away. 

I wiped my cheek off before removing the ring and throwing it into my fathers grave.