One Step Forward One Step Back

Smooch Me Under the Table

[Kai POV] 

I walked down the long hall and pressed the button for the elevator. I looked out the window nearby, expecting a gorgeous view of Seoul at night, but instead I was looking down onto a mob of high school girls. I remembered that they had chased me here, and I still had no disguise. I walked back to Hae Young's door.  She opened it, looking surprised.

"Uh, do you have a hoodie I could borrow..?" I said, staring at the ground and brushing my foot against the carpet. Hae Young nodded and went to one of the drawers in the room, pulling out a navy blue sweatshirt. 

"Why..?" She started to question me as she handed over the hoodie. 

"Fangirls followed me here. I need to get past them without being recognized so they don't jump me all at once." I said, pulling on Hae Young's sweatshirt. It fit me tightly, but I didn't care. "Thanks." I mumbled awkwardly before waving shyly and heading back down the hall. 

I survived the fan's without being noticed and was walking down the pavement when small raindrops started falling on me. I always liked the rain, it felt refreshing. I pulled the hood on the sweatshirt farther over my head, so my hair wouldn’t get wet. It smelled just like her. She smelt like blueberries and well, fresh rain. I'm screwed. I've completely fallen for her. I regretted pushing her away earlier. The way she sat on me like that, the way the dim light hit her cheeks as she pulled herself on top of me. She looked like some kind of goddess. The way all of her hair fell over one shoulder as she turned her head to meet my lips. I wonder what it would be like to just go one step further...

I shook my head, I can't do this. She is still in love with Yunho. It's obvious, isn't it? I can still see the sadness in her eyes. The way she looks so broken when she sees him. I'm nothing more than a band-aid. Healing her wound, just to thrown out when she gets better. And if I stick on to her closer, it's going to hurt both of us more when it's time for me to finally be ripped away from her.

The rain started pouring harder, erasing away the tears that were falling from my eyes. I'm a band-aid. I'm a band-aid. I hate being a band-aid. 

I reached the dorm, soaking wet. Kyungsoo was sitting on the couch waiting up for me. He looked at me with concern on his face. It's apparent he saw that I had been crying, but he didn't say anything. He just went into the bathroom and returned with a towel. He handed it to me and patted my back. 

"Get changed, and come to bed. I don't want you to catch a cold.” He spoke softly before disappearing into our room. Chanyeol came out of his room and saw me.

"Woah! You got soaked man." He said with wide eyes. 

"You have no idea." I chuckled and followed Kyungsoo into our room.


[Hae Young POV]

I fumbled for my phone from under the covers, the ringtone waking me up from my sleep.

"Yobose-" I tried to make out, but it seemed I couldn't even make one word out this morning. 

"Get out of bed. Your father is in the hospital." My step mother's cold voice recited through the phone. Though her voice was chilling, it was the words she said that sent a shiver down my spine. 

"Wha-?" I squeaked. "What's wrong with Appa?" 

"He collapsed. He had a heart attack. He's okay for now, but he is very unstable." She hung up. 

I ran out without bothering to change clothes, or grab my purse. I didn't even hail a cab, I just ran. 

I reached the hospital and slammed into one of the nurses. 

"WHERE IS MY FATHER." I yelled at her, making her cower from my voice.

"Miss, calm down. I need a nam-" 

"LEE TAE KANG." I screamed out.

"Oh. He is in the ER. Follow me." She turned and hustled down the hallway, though it didn't seem fast enough. She stopped and gestured towards a door, with my fathers name on it. I turned the handle to see my step-mother sitting in a chair at the foot of the bed, and my father laying down, attached to too many machines.

"Appa!" I cried out and walked to his bedside, collapsing onto my knees. 

He turned his head slowly. "Hae Young-ah. My beautiful princess." He smiled at me, as brightly as ever.

I grabbed his hand, and tried to return his smile. 

I sat there holding his hand for hours. It was already 8pm. My stepmother had left and returned when he finally found the strength to speak again.

"Don't worry about me. I'm old. My time here is over." I cried harder at his words. "I've worked everything out for you. Appa has taken care of everything, okay?" 

I shook my head, refusing to believe it, and kissed his hand.  He squeezed mine, and laughed his warm laugh one last time.

"It's ventricular fibrilliation. He's going into V-fib! Nurse, charge to 200.." I stood behind the doctors as they tried to bring my father back to life. A while later, they backed off and let me sit next to him again.

I felt his hand had gotten cold. What was happening? His eyes were closed, and his temperature kept dropping. The doctors stared to pull me away from his bed.

"LET ME GO!" I screamed. The heart moniter made a continous high tone. And he was gone. I tuned out everything. I felt numb. I couldn't hear, I couldn't speak. I saw Sungjong come rushing into the room, and my step-mother bent over in tears. I ignored everyone and staggered my way out.

I left the hospital after the nurses rolled my father away to the morgue. He was gone. The only person who truly loved me. I walked down the street, wiping the snot off of my nose. I felt drunk, stumbling along the pavement with no destination in mind. Eventually I couldn't even motivate myself to walk anymore. I just sat in the middle of the sidewalk, getting tripped over by rushing businessmen, and earning disapproving stares from the elderly. Someone stopped in front of me. I looked up to see Kai.

"Why is it I always find you when you're like this?" He reached down to pull me onto my feet. 

He took me into his arms and I hugged him. I hugged the out of that boy. If there was one person in this world who I needed most right now, other than my father, it was Kai.

“Kai… My… Appa…Gone.” That’s all I could manage to say, but he got the message.

“Come on. I’ll take you home. He put his arm around my shoulder and turned me around towards the direction of my hotel. When we reached my room he led me to my bed, and sat down next to me. I fell into his chest and felt one of his arms wrap around my waist, the other went to my head and he my hair. He placed his chin on my head.

“I’m sorry you have to go through all of this. And I’m sorry I always have to comfort you.” As Kai spoke, I felt his neck vibrating against my cheek.

“I wouldn’t want to be with anyone else, Kai.” It was true.

We sat there for a long time. Kai kept asking me if I was hungry, but I had no appetite whatsoever. The thought of food made me sick. It’s not fair that I still get to eat delicious food, while my father lies on a cold bed of metal in a room filled with other unfortunate souls.

“Come on. It’s getting late. You should go to sleep.” Kai suggested, pulling away from our embrace and pulling back the covers of the bed.

“How can I sleep? My father is dead, Kai. He’s ing dead!” I began sobbing. He pulled me close, my tears staining his shirt.  

He lifted my up and set my head on the pillow, tucking my legs under the covers, and kissing my forehead.

“Goodnight, Hae Young.” He whispered and was about to leave, before I grabbed his hand.

“Don’t go. Please stay here. At least until I fall asleep.” I begged, my lips quivering.

He looked right into my eyes and nodded. He sat on the usually empty side of the bed and my forehead, telling me to close my eyes and go to sleep. Eventually he laid down next to me, and turned so he was facing me. I looked over at him, and he placed his hand on my cheek. His hands were so warm. Almost as warm as my fathers. I scanned Kai’s face over, lingering my gaze on his plump lips which were in a slight frown. My hand made its way to his cheek and the rest of my body followed until I was pressed up against him. Beating me to it, Kai started kissing me. It was so gentle, I wasn’t even sure that our lips were really touching. His arm slung over my side and he broke off the kiss, and started kissing my forehead, cheeks, nose, and neck. I never knew a kiss could be so sweet and innocent. I never wanted his butterfly kisses to end. And they didn’t. I feel asleep with Kai’s lips brushing against my face and neck, and his arms holding my close to him.

I woke up with my head on Kai’s chest, our leg’s tangled with each other. I pulled myself up so I could see his face, and I stared at him. He looked like a sleeping angel, and that’s exactly what he was. He was my angel, who could make me feel better no matter what the situation was; he was my guardian. I kissed him until he woke up. He smiled at me sweetly and sleepily, cupping my face in his hands. He pulled my head onto his chest again and I nuzzled into the space between his neck and shoulder. He started running his hand through my hair and kissed my forehead.

He sighed. “Kyungsoo is going to kill me.” 

I sighed as well. "I have to take over my father's company."