Awkward

Smooch Me Under the Table

 

[Kai POV] 
 
I walked up to the dorm, this dorm however was not my own. I pressed the bell and could hear the ringing through the not-so-thick door, followed by the sound of barefeet on a hardwood floor. The door flung open and I was greeted by a grimacing Myungsoo. I bowed to him politely, and greeted him. 
 
"Hello, Sunbae. Nice to see you." I recited mid-bow. He did not return the action, just moved out of the doorway, and motioned for me to enter. 
 
"Sungjong-ah. Door." He called before disappearing into a room. A while later, both Myungsoo and Sungjong exited the room before Myungsoo headed into a different room, shutting the door behind him. 
 
"Hi, Kai!" Sungjong smiled at me. 
 
"Hey. Ready to go?" I said hastily, ready to exit the dorm before any more Infinite members knew I was taking their maknae out for a pity date, though I'm sure he had probably bragged to them all about it already. 
 
"Of course!" He ran to my side as we headed out the door. What the heck was I thinking. I'm just going to be giving another guy the wrong idea about my feelings and my uality. How many clothes do I need to take off on stage for them to realize I am straight? Then again, stripping doesn't really mark me as straight, does it? Well for the screaming fangirls, it sure does.
 
"So what are we doing?" I asked him lazily. My voice lacked any enthusiasim that might have been there with a real friend. I hope I wasn't offending him to much with my obvious disinterest in him. 
 
"Shop? You always wear the same grey hoodie, black hoodie and combat boots. You're not exactly out of style, but it's kind of boring isn't it?" He said, checking me out. I was about to protest, but I realized that he was right. This is all I wore if I wasn't working out or performing. 
 
"You lead the way." I followed him into a nearby shop, and tagged along after him as he browsed the racks and shelves. I stood there and watched him, realizing that he was in fact good looking. He looked almost like a girl honestly. Sleek black hair similar to my own, pearly white skin with a white smile to match, in addition to a lean figure. Well so was Taemin, but he took every chance to prove he was a man; Sungjong was a different story. After I got past the girly appearance, I realized he wasn't much different than any other guy. Sure, he was gay, but I wouldn't have been able to assume that, unless someone told me. He treated the female staff at the store like princesses, making each of them blush while they giggled and ran off to get us coffee, or a different shoe size, or to fold all the clothes we had misplaced. Unconciously, we had a normal conversation, talking about our favorite girl groups, how much we hate putting on eyeliner, and some of our favorite gifts from fans. I actually began to enjoy myself a bit. 
 
Sungjong tossed me a pile of clothes and ordered for me to go into one of the dressing rooms. The next thing I knew I was modeling every article of clothing he had passed me for the entire store, and ended up buying most of them too. 
 
We left the store and walked side by side in silence. I looked over at Sungjong. He was smiling the whole time we were in the store together, but now that smile had disappeared. 
 
"What? You look like you're deep in thought about something." I told him. 
 
He looked up at me. "I'm not some sort of disease. Look, Kai. You're attractive. Even straight guys, and lesbian girls know that. That doesn't mean I'm going to make a move on you or something. Hae Young told me why you're really here. You can stop looking at me with that insincere, forced grin on your face. Honestly just leave if you want. I don't care. I will still tell Hae Young you spent the whole day with me. We aren't going to have any fun if we don't become closer friends."
 
"I want to become closer with you.. It's just.. I don't want to send you the wrong idea." I said, looking at the pavement and rubbing the back of my neck, avoiding his eyes.
 
"I'm gay, not stupid. I know the difference between having a friendship with a straight guy, and a relationship with a gay guy. I know that you are completely straight by the way you act around my sister. I know you like her." 
 
"I don't like-" I stopped talking when I saw the look on Sungjong's face. "Is it obvious?"
 
He laughed. "Hah, pretty much. The way you just kissed her at the club, without even drinking a drop of alcohol. You intended to kiss her all along. I could tell by the way you looked at her." 
 
"How could I not? She was so damn y." I said. Sungjong slapped my arm, and I took it as a signal to not talk about his noona that way.
 
"Wanna see a movie?" Sungjong offered. "There's a horror movie at the film festival going on that I've been dying to see." 
 
"Sure." I replied, and followed him to the movies.
 
As soon as it started it was gorey and creepy. I looked at Sungjong, expecting him to be freaking out, but when I looked at him I was more freaked out to see that he was staring at the screen calmly. Not flinching a bit. I on the other hand was about to throw up. I had never seen so many body parts not connected to a body before. I was squirming and squealing the whole time. What a man I am. 
 
After the movie, we started walking again, and talking about our favorite scenes. Sungjong liked the one where the man's eyeballs popped out of his head. I liked the scene where the girl cut off her own boyfriends leg. During our long discussion about the disturbing and disgusting movie we had just watched, I realized how hungry I was. We had walked past a spaghetti house a few blocks back, and I asked Sungjong if he wanted to go back and eat there. He accepted my offer and we found a table near the door.
 
After we ordered, our conversation slowly disintegrated. Luckily the food came quickly and broke the silence. 
 
"Sungjong? Can I ask you about Hae Young?" I said after taking a large mouthful of tortellini. 
 
Sungjong nodded as he the sides of his mouth trying to get rid of the left over fettucini sauce that got caught on his cheeks and chin. 
 
"Was she really in love with Yunho? Everytime we're near him... she seems different. She seems angry on the outside..but on the inside... she seems sad and broken. He really ed her over." 
 
"No he didn't. Look, I feel bad that Hae Young is sad. But that's what you're here for. You're her rebound. You'll fix her heart until she forgives Yunho, and then you'll go away." He said matter of factly.
 
"What? What does that even me-" 
 
"It means that Hae Young and Yunho are getting back together. Thats how things are supposed to be. Did you actually think you and Hae Young would work out in the end? You're too young for Hae Young. You can't protect her. You don't have a steady job. You'll become a washed up star by the time you're 30, and then what? How are you going to support Hae Young? As an idol myself, I know we don't get payed that much, but I'm not worried because my family is loaded. You can't do anything for Hae Young. Have fun with her now, but just know that Hae Young is in love with Yunho. And they will end up together, and you will be left behind."
 
I couldn't believe the words coming out of his mouth. Was this guy really saying this to me? Who did he think he was? I was about to punch this kid, but then I rememberd he would go crying home to Hae Young and she would never forgive me. I just stood up. "I have to leave." I whispered at him before leaving the restaurant. 
 
However, I still heard Sungjong's words as he called after me. "What? Can't handle the fact that you and Hae Young are never going to be anymore than you are now? That she never can ,and never will love you?" 
 
He was exactly right. I couldn't handle it.