Opportunities and Failures

Dating the King of Jerks

Chapter 29: Opportunities and Failures

 

Sometimes, you just want to run away, leave everything behind and forget about your feelings because they are too messy to deal with. But that’s not the best choice, you risk everything by escaping.

Confronting your feelings is something brave people do, but I wasn’t like that. I was a coward… and at times like this… I still wanted to escape. I wanted to give up, to run away and never go back. I was weaker than I thought. I was broken.

It had been one week since I hadn’t seen her. I guessed she was filming the new drama that would air soon. I took a glance at Lee Taemin. He was having lunch with Changbum and some other girls were surrounding them. I realized that when Sumi wasn’t there, lots of fan girls would come around them.

I tried to find out about the relationship between Piggy Mushroom and Taemin. But unfortunately nothing relevant came out. Apparently they only dated at prom but they weren’t a couple before. And after the prom, I hadn’t seen them acting as one. I knew Sumi; she wasn’t the kind of girl who would kiss a boy just for fun or to have a good time. What was going on then?

My thoughts were getting nowhere. I knew nothing. It had been three years. A lot of things could have happened by that time. But not knowing was killing me inside. Was she happy now? That was the answer I couldn’t get to.

The bell rang and I stood up from my seat. I walked to the hallways to get my books out of my locker. Then, a voice was heard from the school’s megaphone.

“Student Jo Youngmin, please go to the Arts Faculty’s Principal Office”

Ok, Am I in trouble? Did my mom finally find out a way to kick me out of here? I knew I had to be positive but only negative thoughts could come to my head from that announcement.

“The Principal is waiting for you” the old lady said.

“Thanks” I gulped and knocked the door of the principal’s office being welcomed.

“Jo Youngmin. How is our plan going? Have you found a job in entertainment business?” he smiled.

“Well, sir. I could only achieve a job as an extra in a movie” I looked down. My hands were sweating.

“I wanted to know your progress. Remember our deal” he raised a brow.

“I haven’t forgotten it Sir”

“After all, you are a very lucky guy. That, or you have one of the best guardian angels” he smirked.

 

“Excuse me?” I tilted my head in confusion.

 

“You have a job offer as a main character of a drama”

 

“M-main character?” I stuttered.

“Yes. I was talking to the director of that drama. He told me he was worried because the main actor broke his ankle and he wouldn’t be able to film. So, I told him about you and his eyes sparkled. He said he hadn’t thought about it but that you could be perfect for playing the main character”

“I… I can’t believe it” I muttered in disbelief.

“Me neither actually. But here’s his phone number. Contact him and he will give you the location set”

“Thank you so much, sir. This wouldn’t be possible without your help” I took the little paper card.

“Don’t thank me and work hard. You can leave now”

I looked at the contact information amused. Was this really happening? I couldn’t believe it. I called the drama director and he told me where to meet him. I wrote down the address and hurried to the nearest subway station.

When I got to the location I found out it was actually an outside public garden. But some people were filming there. There were mini vans and all kind of lights and cameras around.

“Jo Youngmin. I was waiting for you”.

The director was a man about the age of thirty. He was quite young though. He was wearing a scarf around his neck and faded jeans.

“Nice to meet you, Mr. Jung” I bowed.

“Call me Dae Hyuk. I feel old being called Mr. Come here. We need to talk”

He put his arm around my shoulder and took me to a less crowded place.

“Well, I had a main actor for this drama, very famous and professional by the way. Lee Seung Gi. But unfortunately he broke his ankle and can’t be part of the cast anymore”

Wait, Lee Seung Gi? Wasn’t he the main actor of the drama that Mushroom Head was going to play as a second character?

“And then… my friend told me about you. And I thought it was the best idea ever. You can make this drama airing go up to the next level. Of course I know about your mother’s offer about giving me some money. But anyway, I still believe you can make this drama famous. And also, give me some credits for being the director of this drama”

“I… I don’t get it” I mumbled.

 

“You’ll be playing the main’s character in the drama”

 

“Oh… thank you so much” I bowed

 

“Now, here’s the script. I guess you can learn the first scene in one hour” He handed me a folder.

 

“Y-yes. I’ll do it” I answered.

 

“Good! Now I’ll introduce you to the cast. You can be a little bit surprised” he winked.

We walked around and stopped by what it seemed the make-up station. My eyes widened when I saw Choi Minho from Shinee. And then… Kim Sumi was also there.

“Guys! Listen!” the director clapped to get everyone’s attention. “As you may know, Lee Seung Gi won’t be able to act with us in this drama. So, Jo Youngmin will be playing the main’s character role”

“Hello! It’s nice to see you again. Welcome!” Minho smiled brightly and shook my hand.

“Thanks. I’m glad to join this team” I smiled sincerely.

I couldn’t believe I was actually acting at the same drama as Sumi. Was it fate? Yes, we were destined. I was very excited but I had to hide all those feelings or I would look pretty ridiculous laughing as an idiot alone.

I smiled at her and waved my hand. I tried to forget about everything that happened at the prom. It was past. And I decided I couldn’t continue running away.

“Hi! It’ll be a pleasure to work with you”

I extended my hand, which she didn’t take. She glared at me and stayed silent. I kept my hand in my pocket and looked down.

“Hey! Taylor, what’s with your mood? Say hi to him” the director said in a sarcastic tone.

“Hello…” she looked away upset.

“Minho and Hye Jin, you’ll film your scene in fifteen minutes. Please be ready” the director walked away.

I sat on a chair and took the script out of the folder. I read my lines and repeated them. It wasn’t that hard to me to memorize the lines. I was pretty good at memorizing. The thing was actually playing the character’s role. I didn’t know anything about the character yet.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

I heard an angry voice. I looked up and found Sumi standing in front of me with crossed arms and cold eyes.

“I’m learning my lines” I answered casually. She was cute when she was mad.

“I wasn’t talking about that. I was talking about why you are in the same drama as me. Did you plan this?”

“I’d be lying if I said that I did. This wasn’t planned. But I’m happy about this coincidental situation” I smiled.

“Happy?” she scoffed. “You have to be kidding me”

“What is so bad about working with me?” I frowned confused.

“Of course, you planned this from the beginning. That’s why you were trying to get close to me”

“What? Sumi I’m happy about getting the main character’s role and working with you. But I didn’t plan anything... what are you trying to say?”

“Don’t try to look innocent. Youngmin, it’s obvious. When others know that you and I are in the same drama, rumors about us will spread on the news again. Because we used to date in public, remember?”

So, that was why the director said I could raise up the ratings of the drama. Everything made sense with Sumi’s words.

“Now I get it, but...”

“Your fame will increase in that way. You needed to get into the entertainment world again, didn’t you? And the easiest way to increase your fame quickly was using me” she pursed her lips.

“Sumi, it’s not like that at all. Why are you prejudging me? You’re just coming up with a story without knowing what really happened…”

“Then quit” she interrupted me. “If it’s not like that, quit to this job. You can find another job without using me. You can even pay someone your mother knows to get a new job”

I gritted my teeth. She was being too harsh with her words. She didn’t know about what I’ve been through. But I didn’t blame her either. She had the right to think that about me. After all, I made her believe I was that kind of person.

“Sumi, I need this job”

“You-need-this-job?” she said every word slowly not believing in my words.

“I can’t explain you everything now. But I really need this job Sumi. I can’t quit. If the reporters say anything about us, we can deny everything and tell them we’re just friends”

“We’re not even friends now”

My heart sank in the bottom of my stomach. Did she really have to say that loud? It hurt me.

“That statement will just be to shut down the rumors” I explained.

She scoffed and looked away. Then she closed her eyes frowning and made a fist with her hand. Would it be a bad moment for telling she looked so damn cute?

“Please, let me stay” I gave her my sincerest look. “Everything will be alright. I promise”

“Don’t promise me things you won’t be able to handle” she walked away.

It felt like . The girl who believed the most in you, when no one did, was so disappointed to the extent of saying those words. It hurt, a lot.

I read the script over and over again till I learned the first lines. I hadn’t acted in so long I was afraid I had lost my talent. But my first scene filmed well.

When we finished, I went to talk to Sumi. I didn’t like how the things ended before, so I wanted to make sure she was okay.

“Can we talk?” I held her arm.

“We already talked a while ago” she answered coldly. She was keeping her things in her bag.

“I want you to know I have no intentions in promoting myself with your fame. I wouldn’t do that. I want to make my own credit with my job”

“Then, why don’t you work somewhere else?”

“It’s not that easy to find it and you must know it” I looked her in the eyes. She trembled.

“You’re not going to give up, are you?” she looked down defeated.

“You know how persistent I can be.” I chuckled. “And I want you back, but after I show you I’m worth it to you” I whispered in her ear.

She stepped back and tripped with a rope that was on the floor. I handled to hold her back and her arm with my other free hand. To my surprise, she writhed in pain even though my grip wasn’t that strong.

“Are you okay?” I managed to say. Worry filled my body.

“Yes, I’m perfectly fine” she bit her low lip. This didn’t seem alright.

I rolled up her sleeve to discover her arm. A big purple with yellow bruise was shown on her back arm.

“What happened to you?” I demanded.

“I fell” she looked down.

“This doesn’t look like you just fell” her answer didn’t convince me.

Let me look. I pulled her shirt a little bit up. Like I thought, bruises were also over her abdomen. I was worried about her and I wanted to kill the one responsible for it. Those kinds of feelings combination were running though my veins.

“Yah! What’s wrong with you?” she was blushing.

Apparently she was more worried about me looking at her belly than me knowing about the bruises.

“Who did this to you?”

“No one, leave me alone!” she shouted and tried to escape.

I took her by the legs and carried her inside a little room. I locked it up and cornered her. I wouldn’t let her run away this time. I held her waist gently and rested my forehead on hers. My breath shortened and I was tempted to kiss those soft and pink lips. But then I remembered her safeness and health was first of everything.

She tried to pull me away using all her strength but her efforts were worthless. After she gave up I looked her in the eyes.

“Who did this to you?” I said.

“Please, let me go. Please…” she muttered.

“I just want to protect you. Whoever that hurt you, won’t do it anymore. I won’t let that happen” I caressed her cheek.

“Then, leave and never come back” a tear rolled down her cheek.

“What are you saying? Why is it me again?”

“Since you came back I can’t concentrate in my dancing. My choreographer uses hard discipline methods”

“Get out of that company. This shouldn’t have happened”.

I was surprised that her company still used the physic punishment as a discipline method. In Starship that didn’t happen.

“Why should I get out of my company? You’re the one that should leave. My life was pretty perfect before you came back.”

My eyes widened and I released my grip. Tears filled my eyes and I gulped. I was speechless.

“Just let me go. Please Youngmin, let me go”

She passed under my arms and managed to unlock the door and get out of the room.

Why? Why everything I do goes wrong? Why can’t I make her smile? Why do I only cause her pain?