Money or Happiness?

Dating the King of Jerks

So, this story was practically written all in Sumi’s POV, but we’ll change the narrative to Youngmin’s POV from now on so we can understand better his actions by his thoughts.

WARNING: Because now it’s Youngmin’s POV, there might be some bad words because he is a jerk and a rude guy. So, I just don’t think I should rate this M, but this is a warning.

I hope you like this and the next chapters and thanks for supporting my story.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 24: Money or Happiness?

 

I sighed. I was so damned bored. There was a stack of papers I should check. The life of a business man is so stressing and boring.

I took my iPad and played videogames for about half an hour but eventually I got bored again. I looked at the screen hesitating. Yes, the temptation came at that moment. I tried to avoid the feeling of wanting it so badly but I couldn’t. I wrote Piggy’s name on the Google’s search bar.

It was becoming a stupid habit I hated so much. I read the news articles about her. It seemed her fame was increasing the last days. I clicked at one of the pictures of her. Her makeup was quite feminine though. She was smiling wearing a strange outfit for a magazine’s photo-shoot. I stared at her picture feeling uneasy.

“It’s your fault stupid Piggy. You’re making me want to be poor right now. You’re ruining my life.” I mumbled nibbling my low lip.

‘You love her, don’t deny it’ that thought came to my mind again. Even though it was so nonsense to even think about it. Like, why would I?

“I don’t. She is Piggy Mushroom Head” I talked to myself.

OMG! I freaking talked to myself! I’m going crazy right now. I continued reading news articles till I got to something pretty bad.

‘Minho of Shinee says he’s excited about filming the new drama’

I clicked it wondering why that article was there when I wrote ‘Taylor Kpop Queens’ and the truth was just annoying. She was filming a new drama as a second character and she would probably kiss that of tall stupid not-handsome-at-all of Minho. She will kiss him!

“Someone kill me now!” I rested my head on the desk.

“What’s wrong sweetheart?” I heard Ji Eun’s voice. She walked to me and I kept my iPad in the drawer.

“Nothing, I’m just stressed about all these papers I have to check. But everything is fine” I lied. If she knew I was looking at Sumi’s pictures, she would probably kill me.

“Sometimes you should get a rest. You work too hard” Argh… she was just being too sweet and cheesy again.

Don’t get me wrong. Ji Eun is beautiful and has a nice body and she’s just the perfect girl every boy would love. Since we came to England, she’s more open to me and her cold heart seems to have melted. She’s nice and cute and… she’s everything I always wanted, but I don’t know why I can’t stop thinking about Piggy. Since I came here everything reminds me of her. The stupid food, the dumb Sponge Bob, Mario Bros games. EVERYTHING reminded me of her! I mean, every time I went on a date with Ji Eun I was excited and we had fun, but unfortunately something had to reminded me of Sumi.

 “What do you think about this crockery?” she asked.

“It’s cool. Why are you asking?” I answered uninterested playing Mario Bros.

“I’m picking a crockery to rent for the wedding. But I don’t want to do it alone. I’d like to know your opinion. It’s our wedding after all” She emphasized the word ‘our’

And here we go again with the wedding topic. I hated it. At the beginning I was excited but now it just freaks me out.

“That one is okay” I rolled my eyes and focused on my game again. Stupid mushrooms you should die.

“Okay? Youngmin, I don’t want it to just be ‘okay’. It has to be the best” She’s such a drama queen.

“Ji Eun, what makes you think I know something about crockery? I honestly don’t know the difference between option 1 and 2. So, don’t be over dramatic about it”

“It’s not just about the crockery Youngmin” tears filled her eyes.

Seriously girl, I didn’t really want to argue with her.  I just found out Piggy Mushroom is filming a drama next to Minho of Shinee.

“Ok, I’m sorry. I know I’ve been very insensitive about the wedding topic. I’ll try to make it better” I took her hand and got her close to me.

I kissed her lips and she sat on my legs putting her arms around my neck. I wasn’t in the mood for a making out session but if that was the only way she could shut up I would probably make it longer.

“Uhhmm” someone coughed making Ji Eun separate immediately from me and stood up. She arranged her clothes a little.

“Kwangmin Oppa” she muttered embarrassed.

“Hey! I’m sorry for interrupting your romantic moment but I need to talk to my brother. If you don’t mind, sister in law” he said cutting. He never liked Ji Eun.

“It’s okay. I’ll leave you two alone” she exited the room.

“So, it seems the things are going well between both of you” he smirked.

“Yeah, whatever” I took my iPad and started another game of Mario Bros.

“The wedding is the next week but you don’t look that excited hyung”

Kwangmin played with one of the troll figures. I have to say they were kinda creepy. But Kwangmin seemed to like them.

“Hyung, are you sure you want to do this? Wouldn’t you like to come back with us?”

“Shut up Kwangmin. You know that’s not even possible”

“But hyung, if you don’t love her then you shouldn’t get married. It’s not only about your career. I know you still think about Taylor all the time”

“What? Piggy Mushroom? The girl that looks like a boy? Why would I?” I denied it all.

“Hyung, I tried to search something about Pikachu in your iPad and on your last searches were ‘Kpop Queens’, ‘Taylor Kpop Queens’ and ‘Kim Sumi’. I just saw it” he said.

“Why did you take my iPad without permission?” I crossed my arms.

“I wanted to download a Pikachu game I liked” he pouted. “don’t change the topic”. Sometimes I’m surprised Kwangmin can be more childish than me.

“It’s not what you think…” I muttered.

“Then what is it?” Kwangmin sat down crossing his arms.

“Maybe I miss her a little… but I’ll eventually forget about her” I said not sure.

“Sure. But I never heard you mentioned the word ‘love’ with Ji Eun” Ugh… he’s being so stubborn.

“There’s no need. You know I always liked her” I rolled my eyes.

“Hyung, don’t do this only because of mom”

“Kwangmin, what are you trying to do? I’m getting married. I made that decision since I moved here”

I didn’t want to accept it but in fact, the wedding was the next week and I actually wasn’t prepared for it. Like, I still felt too young for getting married. And even when I hated to admit it, it was all because of Sumi.

Everything in my life was perfectly normal… till she came and changed everything. She showed me there was a different way for everything, for enjoying the life, for following your dreams. She changed me.

Anyway, I should get married with Ji Eun. Maybe what I feel for Piggy is just temporal, maybe is a little crush or curiosity that will fly away eventually. Yes, that’s it. Yes, Jo Youngmin, there’s nothing else going on here. Argh!

“Whatever. Don’t tell me I didn’t warn you when you want to divorce”

“That will never happen, Kwangmin. If I don’t get married, mom will hate me forever and our parents will take my money away and I’m going to be poor”

“You’re being over dramatic about it. I know mom is a little drastic but she’s our mother after all. She’ll forgive you”

“It’s not that easy” I scoffed. “Just leave, please. I have a lot of work to do”

Kwangmin exited the room as I stared again at the pile of papers in front of me. I sighed.

“Piggy, you’re really making me want to be poor right now.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was back in Seoul. I arranged my white tuxedo again looking at the mirror of my resting room. This wasn’t good. I seriously didn’t want to get married.

I sat down and rested my head on the dressing table and held back my tears. I was so angry at myself. When did everything change? This was supposed to be my dream: Marrying Ji Eun and live happy ever after. But I just… didn’t know why I hated the idea now.

Ji Eun didn’t change. She was as perfect as always. She was so sweet and at the beginning when I went to England to live with her I was so excited. Like, I couldn’t believe it. And I was excited about every date we had. I had fun with her, but there was an empty space in my heart. I missed Sumi. I missed teasing her, I missed buying her food, I missed her talking to herself, her pouts, and her perseverance. I thought I was going crazy without her.

 But the thing is: I quitted to everything for Ji Eun. I lost my friends because they think I betrayed them, they wouldn’t want me back in Boyfriend. If I don’t get married, my mom is going to take all my money, even what I earned with my own work. And the worst, she will hate me.

Even though I know Kwangmin tells me not to worry, he doesn’t know how I feel every time mom compares Kwangmin and me. I just want her to feel proud of me for the first time. When she knew I convinced Ji Eun of getting married with me again she smiled and told me “Good job, Youngmin”. She had never done that and it felt so good. For the first time I felt I did something right. For the first time ever I felt my parents weren’t ashamed of me.

I closed my eyes and saw me standing in front of the altar. Then Piggy appeared and stopped the wedding saying she loved me. I smiled at that thought. If she did that, I would surely run away with her. But that wasn’t possible at all. But if you think about it, it would be so cool. A girl stopping a chaebol’s wedding.

I sighed coming back to reality. Piggy wasn’t going to save me of this. I was the one who had to fight for her.

“Youngmin, are you okay sweetheart?” My mom put her hand on my shoulder.

“Mom, I can’t do it. I don’t want to marry her” a tear rolled down my cheek.

“What are you talking about?” her expression tensed.

“I don’t love her. No matter how many times I force my heart to feel what it used to feel. I can’t” She slapped my cheek.

“Stop talking nonsense. The fact that you were in love with the girl was just an advantage. But you know you have to get married Youngmin. You cannot say things like ‘I can’t’ like a coward” I looked at her. Her fierce and cold eyes were looking at me.

“Why am I a coward? For fighting for my dreams?” I stood up.

“For not following your parents’ orders, for not affronting the reality, that’s why you’re a coward”

“Mom, have you ever loved me?” tears kept flowing from my eyes. “Because I love you, I have done everything on my hands for making you feel proud of me. But nothing is enough to you. If I’m telling you I don’t want to get married is because my life will be miserable if I do it”

“Miserable? If you don’t get married, you will be miserable. Our company won’t always be rich. There’s a lot of competition and we need to get prepared for the future, to be stronger so no one will be able to defeat us. I’m trying to make you successful in the future. Love is temporal. You’ll see”

“Money is not everything in this world mother. If you want me to be happy, please don’t force me to do this”

“I won’t force you Youngmin. If you think money is not everything, it’s okay. You won’t get married. You won’t have a cent either. I’ll cancel all your bank accounts and transfer them to your father. I’ll burn your clothes. I’ll take your car. Let’s see if money isn’t everything. You’ll come back and get married with her”

I wiped my tears and sighed. I looked at my mother. I couldn’t believe she was telling me that. It was too much.

“If I get married, will you be proud of me?” I muttered.

“Of course, because it means you’ve matured enough to understand it’s for your own good”

I walked to the altar. I breathed deeply and waited there till Ji Eun came in the church walking with that long and expensive white dress. She looked stunning but then again, I wished it was Sumi instead of her. I brushed that thought off my head.

The ceremony started and time skipped. I really wished piggy walked in the church and interrupted the wedding.

“Mr. Jo Youngmin” the priest said getting me out if the trance.

“Say I do” Ji Eun mouthed.

I looked around and realized all those people I supposed that were business men and women were staring at me, waiting for my answer. C’mon Youngmin, it’s not that difficult to say “I do”. You can do it.

Unfortunately, memories of every day I spent with Sumi came to my mind in an instant. Our fights and our happy moments came in front of my eyes like a thunder. And of course, her tears also came like a knife cutting my heart. At that time I was trying to protect her because I knew my destiny and I only ended hurting her. Then, the only thing I wanted to do was running away and found her to apologize.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t do this” I walked away of the church. My mother followed me.

“Are you insane?” she yelled at me.

“Maybe I am” I smirked.

“I told you so Youngmin. You will lose everything if you don’t get married. So come back right now”

“No mother, you’re wrong. No matter how many times I tried to deny it, to tell myself it was temporal I can’t stop this anymore. If I get married, I’ll lose everything. Do you know why? Because Kim Sumi is my everything”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------

So, Youngmin didn’t get married. And FINALLY he accepted he’s in love with Sumi.

A little bit late, don’t you think so?

Anyway, what do you think it will happen to Youngmin’s life?

Find out in the next chapter.

Thanks for reading. Oh! And let's support Boyfriend on teir comeback #WITCH

Ppyong!