Heaven on Earth

Kizuna (Bond between us)

 

32

Inside the car.

DOKI DOKI DOKI Doki

My heart beat faster.

Anytime Yano and I would arrive at Matsumoto residence.

 

“You’re the real Erika”

Yano told me everything which made me insane. How could it be possible that the one I felt envious before was actually me.

NO! NO! NO!

I tried to recall everything. To this point, I realized something.

I don’t have memory of my childhood.

[Flash back]

“According to my investigation” said the boss “your parent’s surname seven years ago is Inoue, don’t you know that?”

 I pinched my eyebrows. I really didn’t know what they were talking about, but it didn’t stop me to speak for my side…

[End of Flash back]

That scene returned in my mind. So, the reason why I didn’t remember our real surname was because I lost my memory? No! It can’t be!

 

 

We arrived at Matsumoto residence. Our family and friends were there. It seemed that they were really waiting for us.

“Nee-chan!” shouted Nino.  When he saw us getting down from the car, he immediately ran towards me. “I’m glad you’re okay—“

SLAP!

I slapped Nino.

Everybody got shocked, including Yano.

Nino looked at me, he looked helpless,

 I was angry. I have eyes like tiger.

“Neechan…”

I also glanced to my parents, then to Erika.

My reaction made them realized that I already know everything. Even Yukie failed to get near me.

“Mao!” It was Maki who went after me.

“Please, I want to be alone” I said.

Yano took my hand and directed me inside the house.

Everyone gave us way, no one speak anymore.

 

 

I stayed in my old room.

Yano didn’t say anything, he just left me alone.

 

*

“Boss!” said Nino. In spite of what I did on his face he still wanted to know my condition. “How’s my sister?” he asked.

“Honestly, I don’t have any idea, but I guess she needs to be alone.”

Nino frowned. He was really worried.

“How about Yukie-nee and your parents?”

“They are also worrying, like me…” Nino replied.

 “I understand this is really complicated” Yano breathed out.

“Boss…” Nino rose. “Do you think Mao-nee can forgive me?” he questioned.

“Mao is just confused; she will surely forgive you…” Yano assured.

“Actually I’m also confused” said Nino. “I have split personality, up to now, I don’t know who should stay, is it Nino or Nagi?”

*

 

In my room, I was still surrounded by silence. I wanted to cry but no tears wanted to come out.

After a few minutes somebody entered the room.

It was Erika.

I looked at her fiercely.

“I know you’re still confused, but…this isn’t the time to mourn!” said Erika looking at me.

I moved my eyes away “Leave, I want to be alone!” I said.

“No!” Erika responded. “Everything will be okay if your memories return… so do it. Try to remember the past…you’re the only one who knows the master mind behind the assassination…”

“I’m not Erika, I’m Mao!” I insisted.

Erika shook my shoulder “You’re the real Erika Yamato, do you want me to retell the whole story?”

“No!!! Leave me alone!” I shouted.

“Erika, please try to remember!” She insisted.

“STOP IT!” Maki arrived. She gave an eye to Erika. “Let her go…” she said.

 Erika sighed and left the place immediately.

 

Maki approached me “Are you okay?” she asked.

Actually I wanted to be okay, but I can’t do that. I suddenly see myself crying.

Maki hugged me. “It’s okay, it’s okay…” she said, trying to calm me down.

I continued crying.

“Wake me up… please… I want to end this nightmare…” I mourned.

If I was the real Erika, It only means that my identity as Mao (first Mao Matsuzawa changed to Mao Inoue) wasn’t true. The people I believed to be my parents were actually strangers. In short, for the past 22 years my life was a lie.

“Listen to me…” said Maki “It’s not important whether you’re Mao or Erika. It’s just a name, it wouldn’t change anything, and it won’t remove the people who love you. For me, whether your Mao or Erika, you’re still my friend!”

Maki’s words touched my heart. She was right after all, but it wasn’t enough to stop me from crying.

*

“How is she?” asked Yukie to Maki.

 “I’m not sure if I convince her but I guess I make her feel better” said Maki.

That was a relief for everybody. (Yukie, father and mother, Shun, Yamapi, Erika, Yano and Nino)

*

9:00pm

The night was calm.

I wanted to sleep but I couldn’t. I felt that this was the quietest night I ever experienced.

This was also the first time that silence bothered me.

I looked at the door. A while ago, I wanted to be alone, but after Maki talked to me, I felt the eagerness to have someone to talk and shoulder to cry on.

I wondered why no one was coming, even Yano.

Suddenly, I felt to open the door. I was thinking to find my parents or Nino or Yano. I wanted to be with the people I love the most.

Inhale, exhale

I was ready to go outside when somebody knocked.

“Is that Yano?” I thought. “Come in!” I responded.

As the door opened, I didn’t saw Yano, but Miss Yukie.

She looked at me.

I can’t read her, like before she seemed to be clueless.

“Erika…” she said.

 In my mind I didn’t want to accept the fact of being Erika, but inside me laid an unknown feeling.  Seeing Miss Yukie hurt me. My tears wanted to sprout once more.

 “I have a request…” I started.

 

It was past 2:00 am.

 I went in the room where my parents stayed.

I saw mother, father and our baby. They were all sleeping. As I watched them, I remembered the times when we’re still a happy family. My mother always cooked food for us; though it wasn’t expensive it was nutritious and delicious, while my Father didn’t give up in teaching his knowledge about archery.

Those were the precious times for me, the time where I had my family.

 

“Nee-chan…” Nino saw me outside the room

My mistake, since I slapped his face. “Nino, I’m sorry…” I said.

He smiled “I understand I know how you feel, so it’s okay…”

“Nino!” I hugged my brother.

Nino hugged me back.

That was the time I realized that like me Nino also missed our family.

 [Flash back]

“Can I have a request?” I asked Miss Yukie. “I want to be with my parents, so please allow them and our baby to live here again…”

Yukie didn’t respond right away, but she smiled telling that she would do everything just to grant my request.

To this point I didn’t want anything but to regain my family.

[End of Flash back]

 

“Excuse me, where are we going?” father asked, but the driver didn’t answer him.

Mother hugged her baby tight. She suddenly felt nervous.

“Don’t worry…” said father, holding her hand. “No matter what happen, I’ll protect you.”

Tama wasn’t a new place for my parents. That was the reason why they easily found out their destination.

In Village 3, in their old house

They saw Yukie at the gate.

“Somebody is waiting” said Yukie implying to my parents to get inside.

“I don’t understand…” said father.

“Miss Yukie, what’s the meaning of this?” mother asked.

“This is breaking the law, but for my siblings sake I decided to allow you to live here again…”

“W-what?”--- My parents’ reaction.

“From now on you can live here again, just like before…” Yukie revealed

Her words made my parents smiled. They immediately ran inside the house.

 

“Welcome back!!!” I said, throwing confetti.

I and Nino prepared a surprise party for them.

Nino took baby Memo “Hello baby?” he greeted.

The baby smiled, it seemed that he liked Nino.

“Is this for real?” my mother asked. Till now she couldn’t believe what was happening. Her eyes were already teary. Having her children gave her complete happiness.

Father turned his back. He wanted to hide his teary eyes.

“Okasan, Otosan… I know you’re not my real parents but… this can’t change the fact that you’re the people I wanted to be with”

Father looked at me.

I smiled at him, and then he hugged me.

*

 

Nino sliced the cake for everybody.

Mother poured the drinks.

I played with baby Memo.

There were a lot of dishes so Father couldn’t decide what to eat.

One thing was common to us, our smiles.

I believe families are forever. You can find heaven on earth if you have your family.

 

From a far, Yukie can saw us. She saw how happy our family was.

Before she could realize there was tears trickling down her face. Yukie wiped it and decided to leave.

 

*

“Nee-chan, nee-chan!” Nino was waking me up.

It had been a while since I slept in my old bed so I slept long.

“What’s wrong Nino?” I asked.

“I can’t see Okasan and Otosan” said Nino restlessly.

I immediately stood up from the bed “They probably walking somewhere or talking with the neighbors” I responded.

Nino showed me a piece of paper “They left a letter”

I took the letter, and read it.

To Nino and Mao,

            Being Yamato will surely give us good life and also it will be the key for our family to be together again, but…we’re not really Yamato.

            One thing we learned from our past mistake was to live with our means. Now we wanted to prove ourselves, we will work for our living for the sake of baby Memo.

            Mao, we’re really sorry if we lied to you. Just remember that all we want for you is your happiness.

            Nino, we’re really proud that you became part of the family. You seem failing but for us, you’re a strong man. We’ll leave you now the responsibility of taking care of your sister.   

            From now on we want you to live as Nagi and Erika. That’s your real identity so please, accept it. We hope that you’ll be good brother and sister to your real sibling, to Miss Yukie.

            From Okasan and Otosan

            P.S. One more thing, to this point we’re probably on our way back home. You know our place, but please don’t follow.

 

I couldn’t believe that my parents had decided to leave. My tears suddenly drip out.

 

 

Yano and Yukie arrived.

“What happened?” asked Yukie

Instead of answering her I ran away.

“Mao!” Yano followed me.

“Nagi, what happened?” Yukie inquired. She saw the letter on the floor, she immediately took it. That was the time she understand what happened.

Nino cried aloud. Just yesterday we’re almost complete, but now things had ruined.

“Nagi…” said Yukie hugging him.

Nino hugged her back and cried to her.

 

In the other hand, Yano successfully got me. “Where are you going, where do you plan to go?” he asked stopping me to get outside.

“I want my parents, I want them back!” I cried.

Yano hugged me. “Mao… Stop it!”

Actually Yano knew everything. Early this morning father talked to him

“Please protect her…” said father.

Yano visualized my reaction so he asked Yukie to go in our house immediately.

 

It hurts

It really hurts.