The Proposal

Kizuna (Bond between us)

 

11

 

 

“He is Yano Matsumoto, I’m Mao Matsuzawa. He is popular, I’m a beginner. He is rich, I’m a commoner. We are different …very much different. Yano is raised to be a fighter.  He knows Judo, Karate, Kendo, Kyudo, Aikido and all everything about Japanese Martial Arts. About me, I know nothing but Kyudo (or archery) and yet I cannot master it. Yano is the successor of our clan called YAMATO.  I’m an ordinary member who’s dreaming to get out from HERE!

Obviously, we’re not compatible and for sure we cannot get along… that's why… this shouldn’t happen…Why?  Why me? Why with this guy?”

 

We were eating breakfast. They asked about the dinner date, Shun and I responded a smile.

I looked at Yano. He acted normally so maybe nothing really happened.

After eating, the group went down from the cruise ship to go shopping and to visit tourist spots. We went in art galleries, parks, shopping centers. We also watched a theater play.

I received a text message from Yano. “Follow me!”

Yano stood up and went outside.

I waited for three minutes before I followed. I told Maki I needed to go in the comfort room.

Yano initiated the conversation. “Do you remember what happened last night?”

I didn’t answer.

“Those apple candies have alcohol content that’s why it happened, I’m sorry.”

 “Actually, I don’t remember anything” I said “Can you tell me what happened?”

“As I remembered, I kissed you”

“Eeh?” I grumbled as I touched my lips. “How dare you to steal my first kiss!”

“That’s why I’m talking to you. Let’s forget what happened.”

“I understand.”

Yano returned in the theater. I followed after a minute, still thinking what to do. “We’re in a trip so instead of mourning I should relax and enjoy. “

“Mao, are you okay?” asked Maki.

“Yes, of course!” I smiled. 

*

I and Yano were both drank, so we didn't know what we’ were doing.

We were kissing fiercely. Suddenly Yano took my dress off.

That was the scene Yano remembered as he woke up. Yano being mad harshly threw a pillow. “No!” He wanted to believe that nothing happened between us. He hated commoners and most importantly he wanted to do his first with his ideal girl.

*

There was summer class in Yama Gakuen for those who failed or wanted to have advance study. I, Maki and Chen attended an advance class together. Yui and the rest of Yano’s group were also enrolled for a summer class.

I was in the library when a freshman approached me. “Mao-senpai president Shun wants to see you”

I immediately went in Shun’s office.

“Is there any problem?” I asked.

“The guard of Tama Village dropped a call. He said there’s a guy named Yuta Hiraoka who is looking for you.”

“What, Yuta went here?”

“Is he your friend? You should inform him that Tama doesn’t allow non-Yamato”

  “He knew that, maybe he went here for a very important reason.  I’ll go to see him.”

“I’m going with you.”

I didn’t want to bother Shun but he volunteered. We used his car to see Yuta.

Yuta was waiting outside the gate of Tama. I approached him.

“Yuta, why are you here?”

“Mao!” Yuta hugged me. “You don’t know how badly I miss you. Breaking up with you is the most regretful thing I’ve done.”

I love Yuta. He is my ideal man. Being with him is my greatest dream.

“Excuse me” Shun interrupted. “Sorry to say this but Mao can’t stay here longer. She has class.”

“I know, just give me 2 more minutes, I want to talk with Mao alone.” said Yuta.

“Shun please, leave us for a while.”

Shun left us as I requested.

“Yuta, what’s the matter?” I started.

“Since the day I broke up with you, I became miserable. I tried everything just to forget you but it’s useless. That’s why I made up my mind. I want you in my life again!”

“My heart wants to burst! This was a dream came true.”

“Just tell me, do you still love me? I’ll wait you in this place” Yuta gave me a card. “Mao, I still love you!”

“You’re time is up, aren’t you done talking?” said Shun.

I responded. “We’re done. Sorry Yuta, I have to go.”

“Mao, you’ll come, right?” asked Yuta

“Just go home; this place is not for you.” I said as I left with Shun.

 

We were already in Yama Gakuen when I spoke up. “Shun, thanks for lending your car.”

“It doesn’t matter” he answered. “Is he your ex boyfriend?”

I nodded.

“He wants you back, right?”

I didn’t respond. I was looking at the card gave by Yuta.

“Mao!” called Shun as he grabbed my hands. “I like you.”

I became speechless. I didn’t expect Shun to say these words.

“I really want your happiness” he said. “I want to give it to you- but I don’t know what can make you happy so- I’ll be glad to see you doing what you think is right for you”

That was an advice from Shun.

“Thank you, President Shun.”

I made a decision; I’ll definitely see Yuta Hiraoka.

 I was heading to the library when I felt dizzy. “I think I need some rest” I said holding my head. I continued in the library and looked for books. I was getting literature book when scenes flashed in my mind.

Yano was removing my dress but I didn’t resist. I let him get in.

“No, It can’t be!” I bit out. I clearly remembered what happened. I gave everything to that man.

“Hey, Mao!” called Haruma Miura as he saw me.

I looked at him before I fainted and fell on the floor.

“Mao!” called Miura.  He immediately brought me in the clinic.

 

“What happened?” I asked when I gained my senses. I saw Miura and Dr. Sakamoto.

“What do you feel now? You fainted a while ago.” said Miura.

“I feel better. Thanks Miura, you’re the one who brought me here, right?”

“Yeah but my aunt is the real heroine.” He was talking about Dr. Sakamoto.

Dr. Sakamoto took their attention.

A female student happened to pass by, she was Mimi Aoyama.

“I did the test twice and had the same result. Mao, you fainted because…you’re pregnant.”

Miura looked at Mao.

Mimi, who heard the news, ran away.

“What’s that again?” I wanted to hear it clearly. I knew it was kind of a joke.

“The first thing you must do is to tell this to your boyfriend, perhaps he’ll be happy about this” said Miura.

I smiled. “Maybe your right, but can we keep this a secret, for the meantime?” I asked Miura and Dr. Sakamoto a favor which they granted.

*

I went in the place that was written in the card. It was a hotel.

Yuta prepared an elegant dinner for me. He also gave me a diamond ring. “Please, marry me.”

“I supposed to say yes, but how?”I was holding my tears. “I’m sorry Yuta but I can’t accept this.” I returned the ring.

“That guy is probably the reason, am I right?” Yuta thought I and Shun love each other.

“No, It’s not what you think” I really wanted to say that, but-“Yes, you’re right. I’m sorry.” I decided to leave Yuta. I ran away crying.

“If you ask what romantic for me it is when a guy asked me to dance endlessly then he’ll give me red roses. Yuta is perfect to do that for me… I love Yuta, I want Yuta, I want to be with him!” 

 

“Tadaima!” I greeted my parents with smile. It was 7:30 PM.

“Oh, nee-chan!” Nino responded.  He and my parents were watching TV. “Where have you been?”

“I’m with Maki.”

“If you’ll be late you should call us.” My mother said.

“Sorry Okasan”

“Eat your dinner now” Father commanded.

“I’m done.” I said, lying. I went in the bathroom, opened the faucet and then started to cry.

“Why? Why me? Why with that guy? What should I do now?”

It was already 7 am when I woke up. I felt vomiting; this was probably the morning sickness for those who were pregnant. Good thing my parents didn’t saw me.

I didn’t want to attend my summer class but it may bother Nino, so I went school.

When I entered the class room, all of my classmates (for the summer class) were looking. ‘Why?” I asked puzzled. Then I saw the note in the board. It was written in big letters “MAO MATSUZAWA IS PREGNANT”

Maki and Chen saw the letters.

“What’s the meaning of this?” asked Chen

“Who wrote this rumor?” Maki asked the class with higher tone.  Nobody responded.  Maki saw her cousin Mimi, she had hint that she knew something.

Chen erased the board.

I stayed quiet. When everybody started to stare at me, I can’t stand but left the classroom.

“Mao!” called Maki and Chen.  They followed me. Chen noticed that there was also trouble in the room of the 2nd year.

Miura was mad after seeing the writings on the board.  Somebody written that “MIURA HARUMA of Yano’s group will be having a baby”

He denied the rumor. “This is not true! Who wrote THIS?!” Miura was mad; he even kicked chairs and tables.

“What’s happening?” asked Yano.  He arrived with Nino (who was holding his things), Yamapi, Jin and Rina. All of them saw the writings on the board.

“Miura, is this true?” asked Yano

“Of course not!” said Miura defensively.

 

LUNCH BREAK

Maki talked to Shun. Some of the students were informed that the rumor was about Mao and Miura.

“This will be a big problem” Shun stated.

“I have a feeling that Mimi is behind of this” said Maki, “I noticed her strange actions”

“Its weak evidence” said Shun. “But where did the rumor come from, have you asked Mao?”

“Mao didn’t attend our class. I think she’s in the library right now" replied Maki  "I don’t want to ask her about this matter” she added.

“Yeah, this may be sensitive but if it’s true I don’t have a choice but to give Mao punishment.”

“What are you talking about?” Maki got angry. “Do you really think Mao and Miura can do this?”

Shun didn’t talk anymore. He knew it was really impossible for me and Miura to be involved in such rumor, but he doubted me after seeing Yuta.

In Yama Gakuen, students who’ll be involved in that scandal was needed to punish.

Nino went in the library to see me, but he didn’t find me . He saw me at the green house.

“Nee-chan, I heard what happened, are you okay?”

I didn’t give any response.

“Don’t worry, things will be better.  Jin said he’ll fix everything. Here, I bought this for you.” Nino gave apple candies but I threw it away. “Why?” Nino was really surprised.

“I don’t want to eat apple candy anymore!” I cried. “I thought things will be better but it seems that once you made a mistake you can’t escape its consequences.”

“What are you talking about, nee-chan?” Nino started to worry.

“Nino, it’s true” I confessed.

“What?”

I started to cry. “I’m pregnant”

Nino paused before asking. “W-Who’s the father?”

“I can assure that he’s not Miura. Please pass him my apology.”

Nino observed I was asking for privacy so he left. He saw Maki. She heard everything.

“Mao!” called Maki, she approached me. “How long do you want to keep this? Why didn’t you tell us?”

I hugged Maki, “What should I do, I’m really afraid!” I cried.

 

“That’s what happened!” said Miura to his group mates. He explained that he just brought me in the clinic. He also promised to keep my pregnancy a secret.

“Gomen Miura if you got involve. My sister wants to apologize.” said Nino.

 “It’s okay; I’m just worry about Yui” said Haruma Miura

 

Yui stayed in a food chain near the school.  Rina and Yano went there.

“You don’t have to be worried.  Haruma didn’t cheat you.” said Rina.

“Mao has boy friend outside Tama, he’s probably the father.” told Yano.

“Are you sure? I’m worry about her.” said Yui.

It was hard for Yano to remember if I was still a since he wasn’t in his self when we made it, but he believed  it’s not only him, there were other boys.

 

I together with Maki talked with Shun.

“Tell us, who’s the father, is he the guy before?” asked Shun.

I didn’t want to involve Yuta but I didn’t have choice. It was better to tell it was Yuta, so I nodded.

“But he refuted his responsibility, right?” asked Shun.

I wanted to defend Yuta but it will ruin everything.  I didn’t want them to know the real father of my baby.

“If you want, I can be his father.” Shun offered himself.

“Don’t be crazy!” said Maki. “If you told everybody that you’re the father you’ll surely remove from your position as Disciplinary and Student Council’s president. Is that okay with you?”

“No!” I objected.  “I don’t want that to happen. President Shun, just give me the right punishment.”

“It will be a suspension and a public apology; I’ll discuss this to the school director.”

           

            “If Mimi didn’t spread the rumor, there will be no punishment for Mao” said Maki. She was talking with Yamapi. They were in Cafeteria 2 together with Jin, Rina, Haruma and Yui. That was the start of my suspension.  Nino, Chen and Yano were absent.

            Maki spotted Mimi.  She approached her.

            “Mimi, tell us, you’re the one who spread the rumor, right?”

            “Do you have any proof?”

            “I know it was you! How dare you to do that?”

            “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

            “I’m warning you, if you do this again, I’ll definitely kill you!”

            That was the first time Mimi got scared with Maki. She left quietly.

            “I wonder why Yano is absent” said Miura.

“Let’s visit him!” Jin suggested.

 

At home, I and Nino were seriously discussing the problem.

“How long do you want to keep this from our parents?”

“Just give me time”

“Nee-chan, will you please tell me what happened? I’m your brother; I want to know the story.”

I remained quiet.  Every time I remembered what happened I found my self crying.