Competition

Kizuna (Bond between us)

 

24

Yukie was a little nasty, but a good sister especially to Erika. After the assassination, her life became dark. If she didn’t learn from her father how to be strong, she couldn’t continue living.

Now, Yukie’s longing for her siblings came to an end.. As she saw Erika sleeping in her old room, she couldn’t explain her feeling. Teardrops of happiness were sprining from her eyes.

“Nee-chan?” Erika awakened from her sleep.

“Sorry, did I disturb you?”

“Not really” Erika answered.

Yukie smiled and looked at her. For the last time, she wanted to be sure that she wasn’t dreaming.

Erika gave same respond. “Ne—chan” she started “do you miss me?”

“Of course!” Yukie replied.

“I miss you too—you and Nagi. You don’t know how much I wished for this day”

“I understand, don’t worry, from now on we’ll never be separated.”

Erika smiled “I’m so happy!” she said.

In Yukie’s eyes, she was still their baby girl.

“By the way nee-chan, can I ask your permission?”

“About what?” asked Yukie.

“I’m planning to join in an archery completion outside Tama, would you allow me?”

“No problem, if you want I can accompany you”

“Really?” Erika was fascinated “Arigatou nee-chan!” she said as she hugged her sister.

**

At school, I felt exhausted. Thinking so much wasn’t good for me. It seemed that my mind was being drained.

I was in the school ground when my classmate Saori called up.

“Mao!”

Most of the boys liked Saori. In our school she was the equivalent of Rina Sawajiri.

“’What’s wrong Saori?” I asked upon seeing her troubled eyes.

‘”Mao… you’re our last hope!”

“Huh?” I got puzzled. “What are you talking about?”

“Our only chance to win the competition is our captain, but she got injured, so we’re all in blue now!”

‘Wait!” I stopped him. “I can’t get your point! What competition?”

“An archery competition! I heard you’re good in archery, so I’m thinking if you can be our captain’s substitute”

“No way!” I objected. “I know archery but I’m not that good”

“Don’t say that, we believe you can do it, and besides you have a gorgeous boyfriend that can train you, right?”

“”Yes, but… EHHH?” It surprised me, how Saori knew that. “How come you know my boyfriend?”

“We read your essay”

“Essay?”

As I remembered, it was part of our project in writing; describe your special someone. I chose to write about Yano, excluding his identity as Yamato.

Meaning… Saori and the rest of the Archery club members were not interested to me, but to Yano!

**

“Kyaahh!!” yelled the girls as they saw Yano. Almost all of the archery club members even the boys admired his posture. I can’t blame them, Yano was really attractive, in fact, that was also my first impression.

Yano looked around, I knew he didn’t like our gym but since I requested him to attend this special training, he should bear with this.

“Hey mister, can you show us your archery skill?” asked Saori with her sweet voice, as if she could seduce Yano (No way!)

Yano using my old bow showed his skill. -- It was easy for him to get a bull’s eye.

As he did, everyone cheered.

 “Sugoi!” I said hugging Yano “I’m so proud of you, honey!”

This way, I could show everybody that Yano is mine!

Break Time

We ate our bentou at the school grass (it was Saturday, so we’re not wearing our uniforms) Saori and two other girls accompanied us. There was also Riko, the guy who was hooked in Yano’s archery skill.

“Here Yano, have some!” Saori shared her bentou.

Yano smirked.

If someone from Yama Gakuen did stuff like that, for sure she’ll be dead. Good thing Saori wasn’t part of Yamato.

“Hey guys, have you heard the latest, about Yamato clan?” said Riko getting our attention.

 I immediately took glance at Yano.

“If you’re talking about the banning issue, of course we know that” said the ponytailed girl (she was part of the archery team).

“Hey, what do you mean banning?” I inquired since it was new in my ear.

“It’s about a petition, some of the government officials want to ban all of the extensions of Yamato clan”

“It is still undecided, but most of the people agree” said the other girl.

“Yes!, because Yamato clan is a private group. Since they isolated their selves, why not isolate their businesses. ” Riko added.

It seemed that everybody was in favor.

“How about you Mao, what’s your opinion?” asked Saori. “Do you agree to ban Yamato stuff in our place?”

NO was the answer playing on my mind, but before I could open my mount,

Yano stood up.

“Are you all insane?” He whined. I knew he was annoyed, but I didn’t expect him to intrude. “Banning their extensions means removing all of their products. It would be a big loss for the government funds and besides… if you don’t know most of the top companies here belong to the clan. The Akanishi cosmetic, the Miura Automaker even the popular author Saigo Ichi… they are part of Yamato!”

“Akanishi Cosmetic is my favorite brand!” said Saori helplessly. “If the banning will be approved, then it will also remove in the market!”

“No! Miura automaker can’t be part of that clan!” Riko retorted, unsure about what Yano said.

The other girl started to weep “I really love Saigo Ichi, he can’t be part of the clan!”

“I’m sure, it will be approved soon!” said the pony tail girl, proving that she was an anti Yamato.

 “Go ahead, ban them!” said Yano, bluntly. “For sure, they won’t mind this; they have other consumers outside the country”

“Looks like you know many things about the clan!” Saori commented.

Yano narrowed his eyes “Of course” he said, and then he walked away.

 ‘Wait, Yano!” I followed him, leaving my school mates confused.

“Are you okay? - I’m sorry!”

“I’m going home!” he answered.

I didn’t say anything. I knew he was upset.

 “Okay, just promise me, you’ll watch my archery competition.”

He nodded, and then left.

This was the time I realized how much Yano valued the clan.

**

Day of competition

Aside from Yano, the whole gang was there (Maki, Yamapi, Haruma, Jin, Yui and Rina)

“How about Nino?” I asked, because he was missing.

“I inform him, so he should be here by –“before Yano could finish, I spotted Nino.

“There he is!” I exclaimed, but behind him was Yukie and… Erika.

“Look, Erika is wearing kyudo uniform…” said Yui (yui had shades and cup, to hide her identity as the image model of Akanishi Cosmetic)

“Meaning, she’s also a contestant?” asked Haruma, and the answer was yes. Erika joined also the competition.

“You’re all here?” Yukie questioned. She couldn’t think any reason why they came until she saw me wearing my kyudo uniform. This only explained that I and Erika would be competitors.

“Hello!” Erika greeted as she went near me. “This is a co-incidence; I didn’t expect to see you!” she said offering a bright smile.

I gave a short nod.

She held my hands as she continued “Just do your best, Mao-chan! Good luck to both of us!”

This girl is so nice, there’s no doubt about it, but I still can’t manage to think that in any instance she can steal Yano from me.

*

Soon, the competition started.

My trainings were worth it, I reached the final.

Erika did the same.

* *

 “I didn’t know you to like archery…?”  Said Erika while we’ were in the dressing room.

The other participants (since they were eliminated) left already so it was only me and Erika in the room.

“Yes, I like archery since I was little” I answered. “My father is my trainer, and he’s good.”

“Really?” Erika smiled “I thought, you mimic me just to be noticed by Yano”

“Huh?”

She laughed “I’m just kidding!”

According to her, it was a joke, but it offended me. How could she say that?

“Yano is also good in archery, did you know that?”

I nodded.

“I heard he is the number one archer in Yama Gakuen, but before, he really hates archery!” said Erika, reminiscing “For Yano, archery is a waste of time, until he met me. Since then, we became close and started to do things together, eating, studying, training… almost everything!”

There was glimpse of gladness in the way of her narration. For the moment, I felt chaos. I could vividly imagine the scenes in her story.

Erika looked at me as she continued her words. “For me, it is natural for a person to imitate the likes of their love ones, like Yano to me when he started to love archery, and me to him, when I decided to love apple candy. It has sense, right?”

I didn’t respond. How could I answer that kind of question? I wanted to stop this conversation right away.

…but Erika went on.

“Mao-chan, can we have a deal?”

“Ehl?”

“If I win here, you must return Yano to me!”

“What?” I froze, couldn’t believe what I heard.

“Kidding!” laughed Erika, cracking my worries. “You’re so cute!” she said pinching my left cheek. “

She assured that it was only a joke.

*

Archery competition: Final round

This would be the most exciting but tough part for me.

How could I win this battle? Can I beat Erika?

Those were the things bugging on my mind, but no matter what happen, I should give my best. I must win not only for the archery club, but for myself and for my trainer.

[Flash back]

Father noticed how I becoming hook to archery. I watched games in TV or visited shops for archery. I even made improvised bow to play.

One day, father gave me a bow. This was the first gift I received from him, and it was expensive.  At first I was hesitant to accept it; instead of a bow he should use the money to buy more important things, but she insisted.

“For me, my daughter’s happiness is the most important thing” said father which gave me encouragement.

He used to be an archer before, so he became my trainer.

[End of Flash back]

“Now is my chance to repay my father. I’m going to win here!”

I made consecutive bull’s eye.

Erika made it also, but she failed in her last blow.

“She made it!” cheered Saori and the rest from archery club.

***

“Thanks for the good fight!” I said offering a hand to Erika.

 “Congratulations!” She smiled as she accepted my hand.

Things seemed okay before she whispered in my ear. “Are you happy now… stealer?!”

I froze, analyzing her last word.

**

“Am I really the winner?” I asked myself. Literally, I got the medal but I wasn’t happy.

Nino didn’t speak to me.

Yukie-nee-chan ignored me.

The love and care I received from them were gone now.

Who should I blame? Erika? Of course not, because as what she said I was the stealer here. I was the one who stole everything from Erika: her brother, her sister and her boyfriend.

“Is she planning to get them back?”

*********

Another update!

Thanks for reading!