Mao Matsuzawa

Kizuna (Bond between us)

1

 “Is this our new house?” I asked as I saw a beautiful structure. It was better than our previous homes. The street where it was located had houses stand like royalty. “Yamato’s Village is really amazing.” I thought as we entered our new house.

***

“I’m Mao Matsuzawa, 17, aspiring archer. Today is my archery practice that’s why I’m wearing my kyudo uniform. I have this bow and arrow in my hands, ready to blow. One, two, tree!” I whispered then I shot -aiming for the bull’s eye….but FAILED.

“It’s okay Mao,” said Mr. Matsuzawa, my father and trainer. “One of these days you can get the bull’s eye. Don’t lose hope. Just continue practicing.” 

Father always encouraged me. Unknown to him I was starting to give up. But as always I smiled then left without saying any word -but a sigh.

My mom prepared rice, miso soup and natto for breakfast. I hate it but mother will scold me if I skip meal. Without any appetite, I took glance with the members of my family.

We’re composed of four. My father, a taxi driver and sometimes an archer trainer is 43 years old. I always wonder how he controls his temper.  He is always cool. My mother is 41 years old. She’s good in cooking but doesn’t make expensive meal. Sometimes her looks scares me, but she’s nice. I’m next. Actually, I hate to give my own description but if I describe myself with one word it would be, strong. I always want to be valiant in the eye of other people. The last is my younger brother who is 16 years old.  He is Nino. He is intelligent, but can be a little careless and a crybaby. He used to be bullied by other students, so I stand as his protector.

“Nee-chan…I have apple candies. If you finish your meal, I’ll give it to you” said Nino. He knew it was my favorite sweet, an apple shape gummi candy.

I smiled then started to eat energetically.

My family seemed ordinary but in reality, we were different because we belong in Yamato clan.

*

[Flash back]

“What is Yamato Clan?” I asked my father. I was a little girl that time and wasn’t a member yet.

Father introduced the clan to me.

“They described themselves as chivalrous organization, but Yamato clan is really a violence group. They are isolated, but the government favors them because of their high incomes. They live in the town of Tama. Tama is divided into three Villages. The commoners live in Village 3. The prominent people who own big business live in Village 2 and lastly the family of Yamato’s council (leaders) stay in Village 1.”

I got confuse the first time I heard about the clan, but the most confusing thing ever happened was when we discovered that our family belongs to the clan.

 

“We need money!” shouted a big man.  There were two big men asking my parents to pay their debts.

“Please give us more time” father requested but they didn’t listen.

They took our appliances.

“Don’t get our TV” my mother cried stopping them.

 Nino and I saw the incident. We used to it. My parents didn’t have regular job so we had loads of debt. In fact we transferred houses just to hide. 

 

One of them took my bow.  “I’m going to take this!” he said.

That was the time I interrupted. “No! Not that, it’s mine!” I tried to grab the bow but the big guy pushed me, my head bumped on the wall, so I lost my senses.

When I opened my eyes, I saw my family.  We were in the hospital.

 “Mao Nee-chan! I’m glad you’re awake” cried Nino. 

“Yeah, I’m okay” I replied removing my dextrose, hurriedly. I know we can’t afford to pay the hospital bill.

Father stopped me. “Mao, don’t worry, everything is okay.”

At first, I didn’t understand but in five minutes everything became clear.

 

They said my father was Hiroki Matsuzawa’s long lost brother. Uncle Hiroki was a good archer and also the former adviser of Yamato’s late leader. The new leader of Yamato wanted us to live in their town. According to them it was the last wish of my uncle.

I was against in joining the clan but this was the only way my family can be saved- from debts and poverty.  

Soon, we entered Village 3 and attended Yama Gakuen.

“What is Yama Gakuen?” asked Nino the first time we entered the school.

“This is HELL!” I answered in bitter tone.

My father who came with us responded “This is a university exclusive for Yamato members. Here you can also learn Japanese martial arts. One of the rules of being Yamato member is to learn how to fight, so kids you must be strong!”

“I only know archery and yet I’m not skilled on it. Nino is a crybaby.  How can we stay in a school like this?”  I wanted to ask my father but I kept it to myself. I knew how worried he was. Leaving his children in such place was a sacrifice.

“Take care of Nino!” said Father before leaving.  He really cares about Nino because he is not only a crybaby. Unknown to everybody my brother had a multiple personality disorder. When he gets angry he turns into different person, a violent person to be specific. 

*

“Stop, Stop!” I shouted when I saw Nino being bullied by three boys. One of them put Nino’s head in a pail of water.

“You three don’t do that to my brother!” I tried to stop them but one of them pushed me. I was about to fall, when a guy took hold of my body.

“S-Shunichi!” said the bullies, trembling. 

Shunichi stared at them. He wasn’t doing anything but the bullies got scared and ran away.

I wanted to know this Shunichi, but I ran first to Nino to know his condition. He was a little bit of drown but totally fine.

 “You two, what’s your family name?” Shunichi asked.

I faced him and answered in crumpled voice “M-Matzusawa”

“Matzusawa? Are you connected with Hiroki Matsuzawa?” I didn’t expect he would know my uncle.

Nino answered him.  “He’s our uncle!”

“Ah… you’re his missing family' said Shunichi as he smiled. " I’m Shunichi Aoyama, the school council president.” He introduced.

I smiled turning to him “Thank you for your help, Mr. President”

 Nino second the motion.

Shun smiled gazing at me “Do you want to apply as my secretary?” he asked.

“Secretary?” I think for a while but I disagreed.

Nino raised his hand. “Me, can I?” he uttered. “I’m no good in any sport even in martial arts but I think I can be better in doing paper works.”

Shun smiled “Of course, I really need a secretary”

[End of Flash back]

That was the story how  we met the school council president. With his help, we survived being in Yama Gakuen for almost a year.

__________________________________________________________________________

This is the edited version. My only intention why I edit the chapters is to finish the story. I am planning to set aside other characters ---If you're reading, Thank You very Much.