Chapter 50

For you in full bloom

Yeah, yeah, it's short. Sue me. I'm actually on summer holiday and spending some time with my aunt, grandmother and cousins in New York! The past few days we spent camping in New Jersey (which I didn't really get a good impression of, tbh) but we arrived back in NY yesterday and we're going to see films today at the movies

Also, for my diploma, I have to write an essay about "the causes and effects of guerilla warfare during the Vietnam war" so if any of you all like history or have websites that you think would help, please comment or send me a message or write on my wall or whatver. Thanksssss

----

        Taemin sat between his parents, giving them curious glances every now and then. He tapped his foot nervously while twiddling his thumbs, biting on his lower lip and blinking and Taemin finally worked up the courage to explain the chaos he had seen that day.

        “Key hyung’s father was arrested for killing Minho hyung’s mother and putting Jonghyun hyung’s father in jail ten years ago,” He said rapidly, his voice growing quieter with every syllable.

        His father raised a curious eyebrow and exchanged glances with Taemin’s worried mother. “Oh?” She said quietly.

        Taemin nodded, his now too-long hair getting into his face. He brushed it aside deftly before continuing again, his plump lips. “Key hyung is really sad because he’s the one who ratted his dad out and Minho hyung is very mad about it. I get why, sort of.”

        No one said anything for a while, the two adults thinking about the troubles their young 15 year old son faced. “And you all have school on Monday... It’s a shame thinking about much stress those three boys will be under and yet the school doesn’t care about that at all.” His father said, slightly changing the subject.

        Taemin dove right back into the original topic without missing a beat. “Jonghyun hyung must be really happy because his dad is back.”

        His mother nodded, reaching out to pat her son’s arm softly and to provide comfort for the skinny boy. “Well, Taemin, if anything weird happens between your friends and their families, let them know that they’re always welcome to stay here for a while. I wouldn’t want Key to get hurt for telling his family, you know?”

        Taemin smiled gratefully. “Thanks,” he curtly said. He was a mix of emotions, really, because Taemin was the kind of person who took on other’s problems, even if he wasn’t technically involved. When Minho told him of the abuse he had braved, Taemin cowered at the thought. When Key had called him, sobbing over the phone about his father, Taemin had cried too, letting sadness escape him in liquid form. When his brother was dumped by a long time girlfriend, Taemin spent all of two days trying to cheer him up. It was clear that Taemin would sacrifice anything to have the people close to him smile.

        After the somewhat comforting conversation, Taemin retreated into his room and lay flat on his bed before twisting himself into a more comfortable, yet quite odd, position. He pushed the hair out of his face and sighed, letting his fingertips perform a dance on his side. He debated what he should do at this moment. Should he call Minho? Text Key? Do nothing? Call Key? Text Minho? Do nothing? He considered the rage he might get from the now mentally strange Minho or the loud voice of a Key who didn’t hesitate to scream at others but had never directed his anger at the maknae. And then Taemin decided to do nothing and wait until he saw his friends Monday morning in front of the rusty gate, rubbing their sleepy eyes, pouting, worrying over a test that they would have to take and not about their fathers.