Chapter 33

For you in full bloom

Sorry about the long gap! The kid had surgery and I was with him every night. This week is midterms week at school, so I'll be studying (maybe) Please enjoy this!!

------------------------------

Jonghyun groaned and sat up when his mother shook him awake.
“C’mon, we’re going to be late!” She said, lightly kicking her son.
“Alright, alright,” He said, pulling his only sweater over his head. He usually kept it beside him as he slept in case he got cold during the night.
Within a few moments, the pair was sitting on the city bus heading towards downtown Seoul.
“Are you excited, Hyunnie? It’s been a long time since we did this.” His mother noted, rubbing her son’s cold fingers.
Jonghyun nodded. “It has been, hasn’t it?”
They rode in silence until the bus stopped at their destination. It was a typical place. A large amount of land surrounded by a dirty chipped brick wall, twice as tall as Jonghyun. The wall was covered in rusty old barbed wire and glass from beer bottles. Jonghyun felt, even though there were trees, that the whole place was painted various shades of boring grey.
His mother led him inside, where they were questioned at patted down.
Once they’d been through security, where Jonghyun received looks of annoyance because he didn’t know what to do, they came to a desk, where an armed officer his lips and stared at his mother.
“Who’re you here to see?” The man asked, boredly.
“Kim Hyunchoo,” his mother said, ignoring the atmosphere around here.
The officer winced. “You’re family? Only family is allowed to visit that man.”
Jonghyun nodded.
The officer shrugged and let them in. “Cell 13.”
Jonghyun stared along the cells, careful to look only at the numbers and not at any of the men in them.
A few whistled as his mother walked by, and Jonghyun resisted the urge to glare back at them.
They finally reached cell 13, and in it they found who they were looking for.
“Dad!” Jonghyun smiled.
His father stood up and put his fingers through the bars. “Jonghyun. You’ve grown so much. How old are you, again?”
That hurt Jonghyun, but he figured time must pass so slowly in prison. “I’m almost 18, Dad. I graduate this year.”
His dad gave him a thumbs up. “Good job, kiddo.” He turned to face Jonghyun’s mother. “How much do you guys have?”
His mother bit her lip and looked down. “About £1000.”
His father groaned. “That’s not nearly enough. We need triple that amount. Why is Jonghyun still in school? He could be working.”
Jonghyun spoke up. “Dad, I work two jobs! I have to graduate so I can get a better paying job. I promise I can get more if you let me graduate.”
His father nodded. “Education is important. Otherwise you end up like your mother.”
His mother looked down, ashamed.
“You have to leave now,” an officer called from down the call. “You’ve been here for long enough.”
Jonghyun’s father reached through the bars and fist bumped his son. “Stay in school, kiddo.”
Jonghyun promised.
On the way back from the prison, Jonghyun thought about his father. He’d grown up so happily with both of his parents in a decent sized home. It was a two bedroom, one story with decorations and lots of furniture for him to play on. He and his father used to run in the yard and make snow angels when he was young. He didn’t really know what happened to his father.
Eight year old Jonghyun remembered that he woke up to loud knocking on the front door. Hearing shouts, he ran to the kitchen, peering out from behind the corner.
“Please, let’s do this outside,” his father pleaded, officers handcuffing him and giant dogs entering the house.
One found Jonghyun hiding. The dog barked and growled in the child’s face, starling him and making him fall onto his back.
“Please not in front of my son! Please!” His father begged, being dragged from the home. He was thrown into the police car. Jonghyun’s mother stood in the front lawn, frantic. Tears were streaming down her face and she was still crying hysterically.
“Kim Hyunchoo is under arrest for murder.” The policeman informed her. He then got into the car and drove away, with the breadwinner of the family right behind him.
Jonghyun never received an explanation, though he never believed his father, the smart, professional, high school teacher Kim Hyunchoo, would kill someone. This was the same man who caught bugs indoors and carefully deposited them outside. This was the man who cared so deeply for his wife and son. This was the man who’d cried when he learnt his wife had miscarried.
To this day, Jonghyun didn’t believe his father could have killed anyone, especially the mother of a boy his son’s own age.