Chapter 39

For you in full bloom

So, sorry that this took a long time to write, but I initially started writing something about Jonghyun's mom being sick, but I realised it had nothing to do with anything, so I scrapped that idea. Right now it's spring break, so I'll likely be able to start another chapter soon. We had a  home game yesterday for lacrosse, and we lost 8-12... It's sad to lose a home game. My position is defense, so I don't really score anything, but it's still sad. Please enjoy this dark chapter... I'm pretty sure if the police look at my search history now, they'll arrest me...

All the sarangs,

Drg-Lee

            Taemin was huffing around the room, thinking about how he would accomplish asking his father such goal-oriented yet inconspicuous personal penal questions, when the man walked in through the just-closed door. The cold wind rushed towards Taemin, causing him to shiver slightly until the draft was cut off.

                “Hello, Taemin,” His father said, smiling warmly.

                Taemin waved, still in thought. His head shot up and he grinned happily at his father. “Dad, I have to ask you a few questions for a school project.”

                His dad flopped down onto the leather couch, stretching. “Sure,”

                Taemin dragged his book bag off of the counter and dug through it until he found his notebook for English class. He flipped to the next available page and dug once more for a pen. He began to head the paper, only to notice the pen didn’t write. Throwing the pen back into his bag, he found another pen. It was green, which made Taemin cringe, but he proceeded to use it anyway.

                “Okay, Dad. Ready?” When his father nodded, Taemin began. “You’ve worked on murder cases, right? Tell me about the five most interesting ones.”

                His father thought for a moment, leaning forward. “Well,” he began, folding his hands. “About five years ago, there was a young woman who left her home after an argument with her parents. She headed east to the city and tried to call a friend on the way. The call placed her about two minutes west of the city. She never returned home. Her family members, as far away as Busan and Daegu, phoned everyone they knew, put missing persons flyers up, but nothing came out of it. Eventually, they put up money. One hundred million won was offered for any information about this girl and they got a call. It was a deep raspy voice, we thought it belonged to a man, telling the father that they had killed the daughter and threw her body into the ocean.

                “We were able to track the address of that phone and finger print it. The phone was in Ulsan, right between the Sea of Japan and the Korea Strait. Because we were looking for a man, we only fingerprinted the men of Ulsan and the surrounding areas. It was at this time that the real murderer, a woman, fled to Miryang. We thought the trail was cold for another few months, but then a fisherman in Yosu found the body while working. The body was brought back to Seoul, where we carefully examined it. We found bite marks and scratches on the woman’s deteriorating body” His father stopped to gauge his youngest son’s reaction. Taemin furiously scribbled this down, his face stone cold.

               “It turns out that the person who murdered her was already a felon, so we had her DNA and everything on records. We made a mold of the bites, compared it with our database and found the woman. She had returned to Seoul, almost a year later. She was arrested and charged with a life sentence.”

                Taemin looked up. “That’s terrible, Appa. But it’s good that you got her. What did she kill the girl for?”

                His father sighed. “She said she was bored.”

                Taemin shivered. After a few minutes, he asked his father to continue with the second story. Equally long and terrifying, the second story was about an old couple who were brutally murdered and decapitated. Their heads were hung from the ceiling and their grandson’s name was written on the walls in their blood. Police would have arrested the grandson, but he was in Japan at the time of the murder and he was only 13 years old. It was later found to be a neighbour who was jealous of the wealth the old couple had.

                The cases scared Taemin, who was now reluctant to ask about the fifth and final case. Hesitating, Taemin opened his mouth. “Could... could you please tell me about the fifth one?”

                His father got up to hug his son. “Taemin, don’t be afraid. All of these people are locked up now.”

                “But it seems like for every killer you lock up, there’s another one... You locked the woman up, and a man killed old people. You locked him up and a son killed his step-father. You locked him up, a woman killed her children. Does it ever stop?”

                His father sighed. “It doesn’t. I’m sorry you live in such a terrible world, Taemin.”

                Taemin bit his lip. “One more, please.”

                His father nodded. “Of course. This last one wasn’t complicated at all, it was just strange, it seemed. Normally these murderers have a type of profile. They’re normally socially awkward, quiet, unfriendly, alone. They normally have no family or hate their family, normally have mental problems or have trouble fitting in with society. But this murderer, we would have never suspected him if it wasn’t for a tip by his work partner, a wealthy businessman.

                “We were informed that a young woman had been in a hit-and-run accident--”

                “What’s that?” Taemin interrupted.

                “It’s when someone hits a person with their car and drives away without helping or calling the police.” His dad said. He continued. “She was taken to hospital. She was young and pretty. A foreigner. Because she was foreign, we were unable to get any information on her until she was in a well enough condition to talk. Still very injured, she told us her name, her nationality and about her health. We learnt she was on holiday and that she was from Europe. A few days later, she took a turn for the worse and died.

                Taemin gasped.

                “We got an anonymous call saying that they had seen the accident and the car had been dark blue or black. We began to do a damage search on all blue or black cars in the area. Once we had narrowed it down to some amount of cars, and we began to broadcast it on the news. That must have triggered something, because we got a call from the head of the Kim-An industries,”

                Taemin’s ears perked up and he sat straighter.

                “The head of it, Mr. Kim Sunglee said that one of his employees and partners had come to him the night of the hit-and-run and confessed to the crime. Now with a positive identification, we went to the man’s house. We were expecting him to live alone, but we could see him and his young son playing in the house. We forced our way into his house and we arrested him outside at his request. He did not want his son to see it. The murdered cried and begged us to reconsider our arrest, but we know criminals never confess to their crimes. He’s still in jail.”

                Taemin nodded and thanked his father, sticking the notebook into his bag. He was pretty sure Key’s father’s company was the Kim-An Industrial Company and that Kim Sunglee ran the company with An Ryeotuk, another rich man. But what he didn’t understand was how Key’s father had killed anyone. All he’d done was report who had killed him. Taemin considered that Key had misheard what his father said, and after all, Key’s father never seemed like the murdering type. But Taemin’s father’s words echoed in his head.

                “He didn’t seem like a murderer.