Chapter 4

For you in full bloom

 

Just becase I got sooooo many questions, here's chapter 4! I have a really good idea for chapter 5 already but I won't write it until Friday ;)

All the sarangs, 

Drg-lee

---------------------------------------------------------------------

His father had caught him with food in his mouth. Minho swallowed nervously, but his father mistook this as defiance. He raised a hand and it collided with Minho’s soft cheek, creating a deep purple mark almost instantly.

                “How dare you eat in my home,” his father yelled, grabbing Minho by the hair. It was harder for him to do now that Minho’s brown locks had been cut, but he still managed to hold the teenager tightly. He dragged Minho into the bathroom, holding him up to the square mirror and pushing his tear-streaked face against the cool glass.

                “How is your brother supposed to eat if you’re eating his food?! How am I supposed to eat?!”

                Minho’s body went rigid, as he knew better to fight against his father. His father pulled him away again, slamming his fist into Minho’s stomach, causing his son to dry heave before he threw up all over the bathroom. He was then thrown to the floor.

                “If you’re so hungry, then eat that!” His father stood behind him, waiting for Minho to eat it.

                So Minho did.

                When he woke up, he was still on the bathroom floor, his face covered in his own sick. His stomach rumbled angrily and he did nothing to console it. Instead, he washed his face and pinched his cheeks to get some colour into them.  He checked his phone and saw that his screensaver was a picture of him passed out on the bathroom floor.

                Stupid man. He thought it but he dared not say it. It was morning already and Minho had to get ready for school. His heart was tired by now. The rejection of his brother took a hard toll on him. He knew the kid was only seven, but didn’t he ever notice that his brother never ate? Didn’t he notice the scars he’d accidentally seen? Minho’s hatred for his father burnt a hole in his stomach worse than the acid he was forced to regurgitate every night. And his stepmother… She definitely knew what was happening, but even though Minho was treated like her real son, she never did anything to stop her husband.

                Minho tried to think of a time before his father had become a monster. He couldn’t remember. He remembered his mother. He assumed she died because he recalled her being around and then suddenly not. Why else would she leave him unless she had died? He’d never really known the true meaning of a parent and he was a little jealous that Minki was able to experience a loving mother and father.

                He peered at his watch, wondering whether or not it would be worth his time to even get dressed. He heard footsteps upstairs and his father’s voice speaking lovingly to Minki. Minho decided it was best for him to leave. He snuck upstairs, planning to use the convenience store’s bathroom to change. He shoved all of his things into his bag and left successfully.

                Minho didn’t have money to buy more food than he had, and since he hadn’t time to pack his own lunch, he would starve today until tomorrow afternoon. He wondered if Minki had a proper lunch today. Since he didn’t pack it, he was sure to receive a chastisement from his step-mother if she was home. If she wasn’t and his father was, who knows how he might have ended up?

                He finally arrived at school, glad to be away from where his father could watch him. He didn’t see anyone he recognised and he went to his class early. Kibum—Key, was already there.

                Neither boy said hi, although they acknowledged each other. Minho sat at his desk, staring out the window until he heard someone clear his throat. It was Key. Key was fashionably dressed, and Minho didn’t know how he even attempted to make the uniform they all wore look attractive, but Key did it.

                “Hey, new boy. You look like .”

                Minho didn’t respond, his eyes downcast.

                Key tapped his foot impatiently. He was trying to make friends with the new kid, since Taemin had mentioned him yesterday and so had Jonghyun. He wanted to know what was up with Choi Minho. “Are you ignoring me? No one, NO ONE, ignores the Almighty Key!”

                Minho looked at him, not fully processing the sentence Key had said, but the acknowledgement was enough for Key.

                “So, are you going to tell me? Why were you throwing up yesterday? Don’t give me that bull that you aren’t ‘used to the food’, Choi.” Key demanded an answer for his Taeminnie.

                Minho’s breath hitched and he suddenly stood up, slamming his desk with his textbook. He glared at Key for a second before dashing off.

                He ran far, stripping his uniform off as he reached a river. The river was so peaceful and beautiful. He stared at his for a few moments before climbing onto the wall of the bridge. He stood, his arms out as he debated jumping.

                He decided to do it.