Chapter 23

For you in full bloom

 

Onew threw a rock into the lake, humming a song he’d heard playing on the radio on the way here. It wasn’t that he was particularly lonely, but he’d visit this lake every year on this day. It was her birthday and he usually spent it remembering her.

                I want to play a game with you the whole day. He threw the ball into the air, catching it again, rolling the ball between his fingers; he smiled at the light blue sky. Wispy clouds dotted the air, beautiful enough for a few artists to be outside drawing it.

Don’t you know my feelings? He missed her, he always would. He would always remember her even if she never thought about him ever again. There never went a day when he didn’t wish she was here again in his arms where he could hug her and feel her love.

 I will whisper my love to you, enough to make you happy and completely surprised. Call me, my name. Today is exactly your day. I’ll do anything for you. His voice shaky from holding his emotions back, he whispered. “I love you,” He closed his eyes, feeling the soft breeze that ruffled his messy hair. He sighed and opened his eyes, surveying the beautiful landscape before him.

I want to give you a small gift that only I can give to you. I’ll run to you now and confess. He leaned the bouquet of roses against a large, old oak tree. With a breath, he repeated his words. “I love you so much.” He stayed for a while longer, standing in the wind before he begrudgingly trudged back to the car and headed home.

He was greeted with an empty home as all of the other occupants were out. He was glad they had plans, he could wallow in self-pity. He went into his room and stretched under his bed, feeling around for the small blue cardboard box that he kept his most precious memories in. It took him a while to find it, as he only opened it once a year. Once he found it, he dusted it off and opened it.

He swallowed the lump in his throat and sighed. Her brush lay inside of the box along with other things he’d never brought himself to throw away. Her last letter to him was worn from how many times he’d touched it and read it. He unfolded the letter and grimaced.

                To my beautiful you,

Today I realised that I can no longer stay with you. I have other things to do. Maybe you’ll understand some day when you’re older. The time I spent with you was the most fun I’ve had since I was a child. The things we did were amazing. I’ll never forget you and I will always love you. I’ll remember you forever.

He sighed, looking away from the letter to compose his feelings. He’d spent nearly two years with her without knowing the truth. He couldn’t believe she’d lied to him and left him at the same time. He still could not believe this, so many years later. He slowly looked back at the letter.

The truth is, my love, that there is another. For these years I have been deceiving you. Although I’ve loved you with everything, I am promised to another man. What would happen if he knew? I must break my bonds with you, love. It’s the only way to guarantee your safety. Please stay healthy and strong. Never forget me, Jinki.

He tried not to cry, and he was currently succeeding. He heard the front door open and a deep voice shout as soon as he read the last line.

Please take care of my son, Choi Minho.

“I’m home, hyung!”