Chapter 48

For you in full bloom

Hey all. I have eight more days of school left! Well, six because I exempted exams so I don't have to go to school. But since exams are coming up, I have to study and all... and I'm sick :( But I got into a writing mood after reading some short book so here you guys go. I feel like this is rushed... I'll rewrite it if I feel like it.

All of the sarangs, 
DrG-Lee

 

            Key kept close to his father for those remaining days, partly because he didn’t trust the man any longer and partly because he wanted to spend every minute he could with the man who had raised him. He followed him around the house, sat in his office with him when he could, ate with him and simply relaxed alongside his panic-stricken father.

            “Kibum-ah,” Sunglee called, “Come here a minute. I want to show you how this file works.”

            And Key would come obediently and watch his father handle file A3-932 or U92-122 and for the first time, Key considered that he would have to do hard work instead of just hiring someone to do it for him. Who could he trust with files and paperwork? Who wouldn’t mar the reputation of the company?

            “Dad, how did you pick Mr. An to help you run the company? You trusted him?”

            Sunglee nodded. “He’s been my best friend since I was in kindergarten. We came up with the idea together in college. He was majoring in engineering, me in law... it was perfect.”

            Key smiled. “I never knew.” He passed his father the stack of papers. “So you’re in charge of the legal aspect of the company? I’ll have to go to law school, won’t I?”

            “Well, not really. You can go, and I would recommend it, but if you find someone who majors in law and who you trust like I trust An Junhyung, you could hire them”

            Key thought about it for a while. “Dad, I figured out who it is...”

            Sunglee raised an eyebrow after setting his papers down. “Who who is?”

            “Kim Hyunchoo,” Key said. “I went to see him a few days ago.”

            “Did you tell him what was going to happen? Did you tell him Kibum-ah?”

            Key shook his head quickly. “I didn’t. I couldn’t and that wasn’t the reason I went, Dad. I went because I wanted to know whose life you ruined and I just wanted to be able to look that man in the eye before he realised that we were the people to ruin everything for him.”

            “He already knows, Kibum. He knows me.”

            Key leered at his father, malice evident in his eyes. “So then, how could you do something like that to someone you know?”

            “To protect you and your mother and this company, I would have done anything.”

            Key sat down and sighed. He continued after a few seconds. “So you sacrificed the well being of another human being just for you own selfish gain? Didn’t you teach me better than that? That to be a righteous person, you have to be a selfless person? What consequences did you think would come from your honesty?”

            “Have you ever thought about that? Who would run the company if I had gone to jail when you were that small? It’s bad enough that you have to wait a few years to run it, but how bad would it have been if you had to wait eleven years? How well would the company be run?”

            Key said nothing, only staring at the top of the cherry wood desk. Sighing, he directed his attention to the amethyst crystal paperweight that his father had been gifted by a friend.

            “Dad, just do what’s right. You have four more days. Four more days of freedom. Use them wisely. Take Mum out to eat.”

            His father smirked. “I’ll spend them how I like, Kibum. Now run along.”

            Key stood and bowed before walking out of the room. He briefly wondered what it was like to live how his father was currently living, with your days numbered and with a definite end to your freedom. He couldn’t imagine anything like that. The thought flew out of his head quickly as his cell phone buzzed.

            Taemin’s frantic voice came through the phone loudly, causing Key to pull his head back. “Minho hyung is crazy!”

            Key scoffed. “You’re just now realising this? What happened?”

            “I was talking to him and he just tilted his head and started speaking craziness and that I was lying and that I know what he’s talking about,”

            “You picked a crazy one, baby.” Key leaned against the wall and sighed. “What was he saying?”

            “He said that I know what’s happening and that I lied and I don’t trust him and then he ran off and then I followed him and then--”

            “Okay, I get it.” Key interrupted. “But there is something you know and you’re not telling him. I think Minho’s good at picking up on these things. There comes a time when the mind takes a higher plane of knowledge but can never prove how it got there, Taemin.”

            “What? How do you just talk like that?”

            “It’s Einstein’s quote, Taemin. I’m buying you more books.”

            “So Minho hyung is psychic or something?”

            “Not necessarily. I’m saying that he can see emotions better than most people can. I bet if you even twitch the wrong way, Minho can tell what’s wrong.”

            “Oh.”

            “So you must’ve been twitching.”

            “I guess I have. So do I avoid him?”

            “If you can’t stop twitching, you have to. Or deal with his insane, mental asylum outbursts.” Key muttered.

            “I guess. Thanks, hyung.” Taemin hung up after a while of silence.

            It wasn’t that Taemin was trying to avoid Minho for the next few days, but Minho was harder to find now and when he was found, he was clinging to Onew or Jonghyun and seemed to have regressed into the Minho he was a year prior. He often had a blank look in his eyes and stared, moving his mouth but not saying anything.  Minho scared Taemin because hyung was really insane now wasn’t he? Minho was scared because he could feel it. The change in air pressure indicated the typhoon, but everyone ignored him when he said anything about the other storm.

            “It’s coming, Onew hyung.”

            “For God’s sake, Minho! You’ve told me that the storm is coming everyday. It’s on the news. I know, we all know it’s coming.”

            “No, hyung. You won’t listen. It’s a bigger problem and nobody knows that it’s coming except for me!”

            “Choi Minho, it looks like no one believes you. They really should.”

           “I’m trying to warn everyone, but they don’t believe me.” Minho grumbled, walking out of the room dejectedly.

            Days passed slowly and Minho quickly deteriorated. His arms and legs shook, his eyes darted around rapidly and he bit his lip constantly. Taemin saw this happening and wondered what the hell was going on. Jonghyun noticed, but he said nothing. Key never came to school that week.

            By the time it was Saturday and the trial was happening, Minho couldn't get out of bed. Taemin had to come and physically drag him to the courthouse with the help of Onew. When he got there, Minho lay down on the benches and shivered, though the room was heated. Onew and Taemin exchanged glances and Minho only stopped convulsing under Onew’s touch. Onew reached over to tuck a long stray lock of hair behind Minho’s ear, and Minho sat up and leaned his head on his hyung’s shoulder.

“How are you feeling?” Onew asked him softly.

“Death,” Minho said, burying his face into Onew’s suit coat.

Key finally appeared with Jonghyun in tow, the couple smiling and holding hands. Taemin couldn’t help by wrinkle his nose when he smelled the smoke waft by him, but he figured it wasn’t actually Jonghyun. They must have walked into a cloud of smoke.

The trial began immediately, with Key’s father, Kim Sunglee entering the room in handcuffs, but still in regular clothes. He had gone to turn himself in last night and in turn had a trial scheduled for 9am the next morning. He looked longingly at his son and smiled sadly. Sunglee stood at the stand and recited the oath mechanically before he sat at the bench.

Jonghyun squeezed Key’s hand for reassurance.

Onew hugged Minho close because he knew what was about to be said.

Key covered his eyes because he didn’t want to see Jonghyun’s reaction.

Taemin patted Minho’s thigh because Minho was slipping.

“I, Kim Sunglee, confess to the 2003 murder of Choi Katherine,” Minho’s eyes went wide and his jaw fell open. “And I, Kim Sunglee, confess that I knowingly and wrongfully had Kim Hyunchoo arrested for the murder.” Jonghyun turned to look at Key, tears already pooling in his eyes.

Minho’s head shot up and before he could stop himself, he screamed. “You killed my mother! You killed her! You disgusting man, you killed my mummy!” Tears began streaming down his face. “How could you kill her? How could  you leave here there to die?”

Onew pulled him down harshly.

Jonghyun scooted away from Key, untangling his fingers and pushing his hand away.

Taemin patted Key’s thigh.

Kim Hyunchoo came out of the back room and his handcuffs were unlocked.

“Kim Hyunchoo,” the judge said, smiling warmly down at the man. “You’re free.”

Jonghyun smiled widely and jumped up when the session ended. “Daddy, you’re free.”

Hyunchoo shook his head. “I am free.”

“Well, aren’t you happy?”

“How could I be happy when my freedom has cost my best friend everything?” He looked over at Key. “Go comfort your boyfriend. He just lost his father, didn’t he?”

Jonghyun nodded sadly. “Key... I’m sorry.”

Key sighed, forbidding tears from falling. “I’m sorry too. I only knew for a few days before all of this. I’m sorry it was my father,”

“Key, it’s okay. It was a hard 10 years, but I have my father now. I can’t say I’m happy that your father is locked up, but I’m grateful that he did the right thing. Thank you,” Jonghyun smiled.

Key leaned against his boyfriend. “I love you, Jjong. Do you--”

“And I still love you, Key.”