Chapter 34

For you in full bloom

So, thanks for the wishes about the son. He's back in daycare! He's doing really well. Midterms week is almost over, and I only have two more exams to take. Unfortunetly they're law and math... ugh....... Enjoy! I apologise for the shortness

 

            Taemin finally went downstairs after avoiding his family all evening. He’d actually spoken to his brother through the door a few times that day, but he’d said nothing to his parents for three days.
            His mother was concerned about her youngest son, and she tried to get him to speak to her, but Taemin was being stubborn. The only information his mother could get was from Taejoon, who was also annoyed at his parents, but still interacted with them.
            “Ah, Taemin!” His mother said, rushing to his side. “Did you get taller?” She joked.
            Taemin smiled weakly, stealing a glance at his father.
            “Honey, Taemin finally came down,” She said, nudging her  husband.
            “Hello,” His father said. He was in uniform, loading his gun into his belt. “I’m off to work, Taemin. I have to talk to you when I get home.”
            Taemin nodded. “Okay,” He eyed the slick handgun his father held. His father was a police officer. He normally worked in Downtown Seoul at the prison, but he’d been called a few times to help with robberies, fights and other minor cases in their area. He usually came home uninjured and full of stories to tell his family.
            When he came home that night and the family was eating dinner, his father began one of his stories.
            “How was work, Dad?” Taejoon asked after gulping the last of his tea.
            “Interesting. We had visitors.”
            “Who were they there to see?” Taemin’s mother asked.
            His father looked around and whispered. “Kim Hyunchoo”
            The family gasped. Taemin spoke for the first time. “Isn’t that the killer, Dad? Who was there to see him?”
            His father smiled, glad to see his son engaged. “His wife and son,” he replied, chewing the steak slowly.
            Taemin was pretty proud of his father. No officer was more feared than Lee Yongsun. The biggest case his father had worked on had been the arrest of a notorious serial killer. The killer had killed over seven people in less than a month. All of the victims had been in national parks. Because people were afraid, no one went to the parks, causing the Korean government to lose money. The government poured a lot of money into the investigation.
            Since that arrest twenty years ago, Taemin’s father had been famous in Korea. The conversation continued at the dinner table and eventually landed on Taemin’s hobby: dancing.

“So, Taemin, we have a compromise for you,” his mother began, getting Taemin’s attention. “Dad and I have decided that you can join the dance team if you keep getting good marks in school,”

Taemin grinned widely. “Really? Thank you so much!” He lightened up instantly, looking the happiest he had in days.

Dinner was finished and Taemin and his father were left to clean the kitchen while Taejoon and their mother went to the market to buy more fruits.

“Now, Taemin, I have to speak to you.” His father said softly.

Taemin looked suspicious and sidled up to his father.

“I thought about what you told me, and your brother told me that you already told your Uncle.”

Taemin bit the inside of his cheek.

“I love you, Taemin and I want you to know that I’m sorry for making you feel that way. You’re my son and your mother and I accept you no matter what. I’m sorry, kiddo.”

He reached to hug his son, and Taemin gladly accepted the embrace.

“I love you, too, Dad.”