Chapter 35

For you in full bloom

 

            I think this'll be my last update in a while because I'm going to try to concentrate on school in order to raise my grades. Please enjoy!!!

----------------------------

Onew walked into the kitchen, his head pounding. His eyes felt like fire and he stifled a cough. Onew was sick. He’d somewhat expected him to succumb to the cold as last night, the three boys had been stuck in the rain. Giving Minho and Minki his jacket and shirt, Onew ran through the cold, sharp rain shirtless.

            Although he’d immediately changed as he waited for the two boys to shower. He’d showered in lukewarm water, dried his hair and went to bed. Still, Onew had woken up in the middle of the night with a stuffed nose, fallen back asleep and woken up for good ten minutes ago at about 10am.
            And so Onew ransacked the kitchen for cold medicine. Ever since Minho had reorganised everything, there was a certain order to where things were, but Onew hadn’t figured it out. He used to keep all medications in the cupboard to the left of the fridge, but now canned foods lined the shelf neatly.
            Onew groaned. He remembered Katherine used to keep medications in the laundry room. It was the only other place that Onew could think of, so he stumbled his way to the small room.
            Opening the closet doors, he found just what he wanted. A large bottle of cold medicine greeted him, and Onew gratefully opened the bottle, poured the correct dosage and gulped it down, ignoring the bitter taste that burnt his throat slightly. Onew reached up to put the medicine away when he spotted a shadowy figure in the dark.
            “Who’s there?” He asked, quietly. Had someone broken into the home in such broad daylight?    
            Minho stepped out of the shadows. “It’s just me, hyung.”
            Onew coughed. “Minho, you scared me...” he let his voice trail off.
            “How did you know the medicine was in here?” Minho asked. “I didn’t know anyone else kept it in the laundry room.”
            Onew cleared his throat. “I have to tell you something, Minho,”
            Minho looked at his watch. “Alright, hyung.”
            The two went into Onew’s room, where Onew motioned for Minho to sit on the edge of the bed. Minho obeyed and watched as Onew rummaged under the bed.
            Onew stood up. “Okay, Minho. Are you ready?”
            Minho bit his lip and nodded. What was Onew going to tell him?
            Onew dusted the box off and sat beside Minho. “A very long time ago, I was in love with a woman. We dated each other for years, and even though she lived abroad, we still kept in communication via phone, letters, email, everything.”
            Minho nodded. “How come you didn’t marry her, hyung?”
            “I’ll tell you. I thought she really loved me, too. So I was going to ask her to marry me, but about two days before I was going to ask her, she left me. She left me so suddenly, I had no chance to say goodbye. I came from work and there was a letter.”
            Onew paused and swallowed. He pulled the letter from the box and handed it to Minho.
            Minho raised an eyebrow and took it. His eyes scanned the page. “K... Katherine Choi? My mother?!” He shot an unintentional glare at Onew. “You dated my mother?!”
            Onew nodded. “Minho, I’m so sorry. I didn’t know she was married. I didn’t know she had you,”
            Minho clenched his fist. “You were the reason she always left? I... She told me it was for work...”
            Onew sighed. “Here Minho, I want you to see this.” He showed Minho the picture of Onew and Katherine. The picture was 12 years old.
           Minho sat silent for a moment before checking his watch again. “I have to go, hyung. I have to meet Taemin.”
            Onew grabbed Minho’s sleeve. “Please, Minho. I didn’t know,”
            Minho wiped a tear away. “Onew hyung, are you my father?” He asked. He wanted so desperately to not be related to his father.
            Onew shook his head sadly. “I wish I was, Minho,”
            Minho sighed and left the house, leaving Onew to put the things away.
            Katherine, I told Minho. I told him about us. I don’t know if you ever wanted that or not. He needed to know. I’m sorry I waited so long to tell him. He’ll be okay, I promise. He has Taemin, Key and Jonghyun to watch over him.