Chapter 37

For you in full bloom

Blah, it's short, I know. But I suddenly got the inspiration to write this small, irrelevant chapter because it's snowing in the north, and I have no snow! I want to make snow toffee! Boo! If it snows where you live, you can make the very same thing that Minho, Minki and Onew did.  Follow this recipeHave fun reading ^^ Love, 

Drg-lee

-------------------------

 

                It wasn’t very long before the first snowflake fell from the cloudy grey sky. Minki watched it with awe, pressing his small hands against the freshly cleaned and cold glass. The snowflake fluttered over the yard and twirled, falling slowly. It finally landed on the walkway to the now neglected garden. The first snowflake marked a remarkable change in the weather. Weeks of frosty temperatures teased the population of southern Seoul and the sudden eruption of snow elicited a renewed sense of being in the citizens.
                Wanting to play with someone, Minki shouted, his voice reaching both Minho and Onew. Minho and Onew hadn’t talked directly in some while, Onew being nervous about Minho, and Minho not really wanting to talk to anyone. Minho groaned and closed the new laptop Onew had gotten him for Christmas.
                “Coming, Minki!,” Both Onew and Minho shouted, simultaneously. Onew paused awkwardly in his movements, and lumbered down the stairs.
                Minki stood at the bottom, eagerly waiting for his hyungs. “C’mon, guys! You’re so slow~” He teased. Upon seeing Minho, Minki ran back to the window, expecting Minho to follow him. “It’s snowing, hyung,” He said, gazing towards the now lightly covered grass.
                Minho chuckled. “We can’t play in that, Minki. The ground isn’t even covered yet,” Minho pointed out.
                Minki pouted. “I know, but we can put a wagon out to catch the snow and then make toffee bars,”
                Minho opened his mouth in protest, but Onew spoke before him.
                “What’s a toh-pee bah?” Onew asked, coming down the stairs. Onew hated the cold, and he wore two long-sleeved shirts, flannel striped pants and fuzzy socks. He looked absolutely miserable.
                “You’ve never had one, hyung?” Minki asked incredulously. “You set out a wagon to collect the clean snow, because since you’re going to eat it, you don’t want icky-dirty snow. Then you boil a bunch of sugar and butter, and you put it on the snow and eat it.”
                Minho smiled and rubbed Minki’s head. “It’s toffee bar, hyung. You can also eat it with pickles”
                Onew wrinkled his nose.
                “Or coffee” Minho finished. Onew seemed to like the coffee idea better.
                “That sounds like fun,” Onew said. “You know how to make it?”
                Minki shook his head. “Hyung does,”
                Minho nodded. “We need snow. Lots of snow, butter, vanilla and brown sugar”
                Onew went into the kitchen. Minki waited for Minho to dress himself, and the two boys went outside. They playfully argued about where they thought the wagon would get the most snow. Once it was settled, they ran back inside and warmed their fingers by the heater.
                “We’ll need to go outside every so often and pack the snow down so we get as much as possible,” Minho informed them as he stirred the syrup in the pot.
                Onew groaned and decided he would be the one to do it.
                After about an hour of stirring, packing and melting, the three boys sat around the television and popped fresh toffee into their mouths.
                Onew took a sip of warm, milky coffee and smiled. “Minho?”
                Minho swallowed a bit of pickle and looked up.
                “Thank you,” Onew said.