Chapter 49

For you in full bloom

Aish, chapter 49 already? And I have over 10000 views on my story. Thank you all soooo much for supporting me this whole time ^^ 

All the sarangs, 

DrG-lee

            Onew dragged Minho home and pushed the teenager onto the couch softly. “Minho?” He called, waving his hand in front of his face. Minho hadn’t said a word since his outburst. He’d stopped crying just as they pulled into the driveway. Onew sat down next to the younger and waited patiently until the boy spoke. Of course, Minho said nothing, only staring straight ahead and sniffling.

            “Minho-ah, are you okay? Do you blame Kibum?”

            Minho’s lip trembled as he got ready to reply. “I hate him. Don’t you?”

            Onew sighed loudly. “You know it’s not his faul--”

            “How could he do this to Jonghyun-hyung and I? Did you know how bad off hyung is?”

            “What’s wrong with Jonghyun?”

            Minho bit his bottom lip, unsure if he should say it. After some hesitation, Minho spoke. “Hyung sells alcohol and cigarettes to some people in the corner. I don’t think he’ll do it anymore since he’s got his father now... but that’s Key’s family’s fault.”

            “It may be Kim Sunglee’s fault, but it isn’t Kim Kibum’s fault.”
            “Even my mother’s death?”

            “How do you feel about that?” Onew asked, patting Minho’s thigh.

            “She already dead, but knowing Key’s dad killed my mum... Even though you say it’s not his fault, it’s like she’s finally been saved from unspeakable hell, from purgatory, because he’s confessed and it’s the right man. You can’t blame me for being upset with Kim Sunglee,” He said.

            “I don’t blame you and nobody will ever blame you for hating that man. He took your mother away from you and the whole world will understand if you hate him. But can you hate someone for the rest of your life?”

            Minho shrugged and looked away without saying anything.

            “Think about this carefully Minho-ah. If you’re feeling bad, come talk to me when you’re ready.” Onew stood up and left the room.

            Minho lay on the couch for a bit before he wiped his face, though there were no wet tears anymore, and sat up. “Kim Sunglee.” He mumbled to himself tiredly. He honestly didn’t know what to do with himself. Where was the voice that he had so relied on to guide him through this time? He didn’t know if he could bring himself to forgive the man who had killed his mother and thrown another’s father in prison in his place. For Minho, cowardice was a most unforgivable act.

            And on the other side of town, Key was sitting in his living room, harsh words punching him over and over, threatening to tear Key’s walls down. Yes, it was his fault that Kim Sunglee had confessed but it wasn’t his fault that Kim Sunglee killed a woman, lied to the government, resisted arrest and finally willingly alerted authority. All Key had done was tell his father that he knew.

            “How could you do this, Kibum?” His mother cried, slamming a glass of pomace brandy onto the table. The ice cubes jumped out of the glass and careened back in, splashing some of the woman’s precious water out of the container.

            “Kibum, didn’t you know how important the company is? How can we run it without Sunglee?” His grandfather said, his face crimson with fury. “How could you ruin us like that?”

            His aunt said nothing, only eyeing the boy from across the room.

            “Answer me, Kibum.” his mother said after downing the last of the alcohol.

            Key winced and looked up, words unable to form for the first time in his life. He huffed and tried again, remembering the literary and verbal training he had received from his father.

            “Mother, grandfather, how long do you think this calumny could go on? For how much longer did you think my father would be able to look at himself in the mirror and shave and smile knowing what he did? Do you think my father could have held this lie for 70 more years when he knows the wise words of Buddha, words he taught me himself and drilled into his son’s brain. Don’t you think he knew what he was doing was wrong and therefore he taught me to be a right and just person so that this would never happen to someone like me? Three things cannot be hidden, Mother. Did you know?”

            His mother raised an eyebrow in curiosity.

“The Sun, the Moon, and the Truth.” He stated. “Rather than love, money and fame, give me the truth. Father taught me all of these things. From what he told me, from what he raised me with, he knew he had to confess. Don’t you think he was calming a guilty conscience?”

Key’s grandfather huffed, but he remained silent. Key’s motier inspected her glass with much interest, reluctant to respond to her son’s wise words.

“Mother, you must forgive me for taking your husband away, but couldn’t you see that he needed to be punished for taking someone’s life? I didn’t even know that the woman was a friend’s mother until today, yet you expected me to live in sinful silence...” He stood, looking each of his elder in the eye before sadly smiling and leaving the room.

Once in solitude, ley allowed tears to fall and wet his cheeks. it wasn’t like Key didn’t regret his decision and it wasn’t as if Key didn’t accept responsibility for pressuring his father into confessing. He felt sad, lonely, accomplished, relieved and guilty all at the same time. He wanted to run into his father’s arms and be embraced by love and understanding. He would have gone to Jonghyun if he wasn’t afraid of how the boy might react.

Truthfully, jonghyun was not thinking about Key. He was too busy thinking about his father, who, for the first time in ten years, was able to sit by his side. They said nothing to each other, the newly freed man too occupied by new sensations bombarding his senses. Eventually, Jonghyun spoke, pointing towards a cloud.

“Dad, don’t you think that cloud looks like a fried chicken leg?” He asked, smiling.

His father directed his gaze towards the wispy water. “I believe it does. It’s been so long since I last saw the outdoors” He paused for a moment. “It’s a shame that Sunglee has to live this way now, though he put us through this. It’s so sad.”

Jonghyun nodded, squeezing his father’s once soft hand. “Can I tell you something, Dad?”

Hyunchoo nodded.

“Kim Sunglee, he has a 17 year old son, you know.”

“I know,”

“His name is Kim Kibum. And Dad, he’s my very best friend. He’s more than that to me...”

“Are you dating him, Jonghyun?”

Jonghyun gasped. “How did you know?”

“I’m your father. A good father always knows when his son is in love.”

Jonghyun grinned. “You’re okay with it? Mom’s okay...”

Hyunchoo patted his son’s head. “How could I not be okay when my only son is happy? And,” He began. “IT doesn’t matter that he is Sunglee;s son, If you Kim Kibum is your Kim Kibum, I don’t care who his father is.”

“Thanks, Dad” Jonghyun said, smiling to himself.

Father and son got off of the bus and, together, walked towards their home for the first time in 10 years.