Chapter 30

For you in full bloom

Hi! I tried writing last night but I couldn't think of anything. Then I talked to my friend about one of his dates with his girlfriend, and I got the inspiration for this. Thanks for reading, 

Love, 

Drg-lee

It was though Minho suddenly lost all inhibition as he stood in front of Taemin’s door, his hand hesitant to knock on the dark maple wood, hesitant to establish that he, Choi Minho, would be picking a boy up for dinner. Minho had convinced himself thoroughly that this wasn’t anything to be nervous about; That Taemin was just a cute little dongsaeng he hoped to be friendly with. His pounding heart indicated otherwise, and Minho felt apprehensive, swallowing and taking a deep breath in.

            He hadn’t yet considered what Taemin’s family might think or how they would receive him. Would they, like he, be convinced this was a friendly encounter, hyung to dongsaeng? Or would they, like Taemin, become giddy at the thought of a mate for their son. Somehow, Minho was compelled to think the latter was accurate. Shaking off his anxiety, he raised his hand once more to the door and knocked softly.
            He stood for a moment, shuffling in place. He regretted knocking. Suddenly, the door swung open and he was greeted by who he assumed to be Taemin’s older brother.
            “Come in,” the teenager said, backing up to allow the shivering Minho into their warm home.
            Almost reflexively, Minho sniffed the air, surprised to find the potent smell of cinnamon buns wafting through the large home. Taemin’s brother directed him to a maroon leather love seat, where he was offered hot cocoa and peppermint.
            Taemin’s brother made no attempt at conversation, only shouting up the hall that Minho had arrived. Minho nervously sipped at the drink, feeling the warmth pour down his throat and radiate over his cold body. Enjoying the feeling, he continued to drink it and became so distracted by the wonderful taste that when Taemin appeared at the head of the hallway, Minho’s eyes widened.
            He wore a forest green scarf, striped with thick creme lines. His skinny jeans hugged his legs nicely, making Minho’s breath pause momentarily. Taemin hadn’t put a coat on yet, and a long sleeved ecru shirt hung loosely from his naturally, beautifully thin frame.
            A moment of silence seemed to escape before Taemin cleared his throat and spoke, his words floating gently through the air. “Let’s go, Minho-hyung,”. Minho agreed, suddenly jumping up and placing his mug on the table in front of him. He slipped his shoes back on and waited as Taemin pulled the parka on. Taemin fiddled with his mittens before flashing a childish grin at Minho.
            “Which way is the restaurant, Taemin?” Minho asked, once they had walked a few feet.
            “Oh, it’s just down the street,” Taemin replied, brushing his hair out of the way. “Do you think I need a haircut, Minho-hyung?”
            Minho responded without thinking, causing the younger boy to turn away with rosy cheeks. “No, you’re cute the way you are.”
            After that statement, the two walked in comfortable silence before reaching the small, yet comfortable dinery. They ordered the buffet and proceeded to fill their plates with all sorts of food. Taemin piled his plate with sticky rice and other traditional foods, while Minho was a bit more adventurous, putting a few rolls of spicy sashimi onto his tray. Once they had their plates filled, both boys wandered back to their table and began to eat.
            While chewing, Taemin began a conversation. “How’s the food, hyung?”
            “I like it,” Minho said, looking up at the maknae. “I’ve never had this before.”
            “Wow, really?” Taemin leaned forward. “Did you live in a cave, hyung?” He joked.
            Minho shrugged, looking down. “Something like that. Why did you only get rice?”
            “I like rice, hyung!”
            Minho looked up at Taemin, noticed the grain of rice sticking to his plump, pink lips and began to laugh. Taemin had never heard such a magical sound and his eyes opened wide. Minho covered his face, his body racked with such happy laughter. He took a few deep breaths before looking back at Taemin, and again seeing the grain, burst into laughter again.
            “Hyung! What?” Taemin whined, frazzled to see Minho in such a happy state.
            “T-Tae-Taemin” He stifled his laughter and reached over to pluck the morsel from Taemin’s face, his warm hand grazing against the soft lips.
            Taemin’s face flushed instantly, and he brought a hand to his lips. “Hyunggggggg!”
            Minho wiped his face and smiled. “You’re really cute, Taemin,”
            Taemin pouted on the outside, but on the inside, his whole body felt hot. He was cute! Minho thought he was cute. Just those four words would keep Taemin warm the whole night.
            They continued eating, with Taemin too surprised to keep small talking and with Minho too amazed by the different flavours to speak at all. This was a comfortable silence for the boys, who both shoveled food down and left the restaurant heavier than before.
            Upon arriving at Taemin’s home, Minho felt nervous once more, and turned to shake Taemin’s hand. Taemin took it uncomfortably, and then surprise Minho by wrapping his skinny arms around Minho’s thickening frame.
            “Good night, hyung,” Taemin said, squeezing Minho before letting go.
            Minho nervously swallowed. “Good night, Taemin.”
            Taemin unlocked his door and began to go inside.
            “Wait, Taemin!”
            Taemin paused midstep.
            “Let’s do this again sometime...” Minho’s voice trailed off.
            “It’s a date, hyung,”