Chapter 42

For you in full bloom

Here's some plot development that has nothing to do with the boys' parents, but.. it's still major. ^^ Thanks for reading!

All the sarangs,

Drg-Lee.

 

            His heart pounded against his chest, and he could feel the hammering against his temple. Taking a deep breath, Taemin opened his eyes and faced the panel of judges.

            “You may begin,” The man furthest to the right said. His hair was a mess of tangles, contrasting with his sharply ironed plaid shirt. He wore a golden ring on his left hand and tapped his foot to a rhythm only he heard. The woman next to him was completely clean-pressed. Not one hair was out of place and she seemed like the kind of woman who continuously carried candy around in her purse for young children who she might come across.

            Taemin took another breath and hitched as he began to speak. “Hello,” he bowed deeply, fidgeting. “My name is Lee Taemin. I go to Myukjon High School in Jongno, Seoul. I am fifteen years old.”

            The fat woman nodded, and Taemin stepped back. He pressed the play button on the CD player, and began dancing. He popped, much to the surprise of the panel. The messy man even let out an exclamation of surprise. Taemin jumped and landed on one foot, earning another round of applause.

            By the time he was done, the panel of four were standing, clapping and Taemin’s chest rose and fell violently with each breath he struggled to take.

            “Thank you, Taemin-ssi. We will be contacting you regarding your audition.” The woman smiled at him and dismissed him.

            Taemin bowed once more, relief on his features. He left the room and found his mother.

            “Taemin! How did you do?” She asked, smoothing his hair down.

            “I think I did well,” He accepted the water she handed him. “They said they’d contact me later.”

            She hugged her son. “I’m sure you did well. Taemin, I’ve wanted to apologise for something, if you’d let me. I’m sorry that I’ve disregarded your hobby, your life as something stupid and feminine. Taemin, if you could see yourself when you dance, you would never give it up. I never knew anyone could do that and seeing my own son do it... I’m so proud.”

            Taemin smiled and looked down. “Then you should come to my shows, Eomma. I’m sure you’d like it, then.”

            She patted his head and escorted him out of the studio. “Good job, Taemin. I’ll come to every one.”

            Once home, Taemin ran up the stairs, excited to tell Minho about his audition. Flipping his mobile open, he scrolled to Minho’s name and selected it. After inviting Minho out and deciding where to go, Taemin rolled over on his back and sat up. Judging his outfit to be appropriate, he threw a sweater on and left the house, heading east. Once he arrived at the mildly crowded restaurant, after battling the wind and wishing he’d worn a thicker jacket or a windbreaker, he leaned against the wall, waiting for Minho to appear.

            Minho appeared a few minutes later, clad in black. He was completely covered, with gloves, boots, jeans and a scarf. Taemin gawked. This kid was used to such cold weather, wasn’t he?

            “Hyung!” He called, jogging over to Minho. “Are you cold, hyung?”

            “Aren’t you?” Minho teased.

            “No,” Taemin lied, fighting the urge to shiver.

            “If you aren’t cold, let’s stay out here for a bit longer,” He grinned devilishly.

            “Okay, okay, I’m cold. Let’s go inside!”

            Minho held the door open for Taemin, allowing the younger to enter the warm restaurant before him. The room was completely open and spacious, allowing the small amount of noise to echo. It made it seem like there were a lot of people, and Minho winced.

            “Are you okay, hyung?” Taemin was especially mindful of Minho since he attacked Key.

            Minho sighed and nodded. “I’m just not used to a lot of noise. My childhood was pretty silent,” he said, pulling a chair out for Taemin.

            Taemin sat down. “Why was it so silent?”

            Minho sat down too, adjusting himself to the hard wooden chair before speaking. “My father didn’t like when I talked very loudly, so I spent my time being quiet.”

            Taemin nodded silently. An awkward silence remained while they chose their orders and made them known to the waitress. Minho’s chair scraped against the floor as he scooted forward.

            “Lee Taemin, there’s something I want to tell you,” he began, leaning forward.

            Taemin’s breath hitched and his hands fidgeted under the table. He looked up and met Minho’s eyes, signalling that he should go on.

            Minho took a deep and slow breath, shaking himself out. “I never told this to anyone before. And... and maybe you’ve already found out because of who I am--”

            “Hyung, just tell me,” Taemin said, placing his hand on Minho’s tight fist. “It’ll be okay,”

            Minho swallowed. “I’m gay, Taemin-ah.”

            Taemin pulled his hand away, and noting the hurt look on Minho’s face, began laughing. “Hyung, were you really so worried about telling me? Have you seen me?”

            Minho raised an eyebrow. “Are you gay, too?” He asked, bewildered.

            Taemin smiled and nodded. “I didn’t think you were the type, though. You’re so masculine and muscular,” Taemin ran his fingers down Minho’s now toned forearm, causing Minho to blush and look away. Minho had started working out when his father was arrested, first out of paranoia and then out of sheer enjoyment for the rush of adrenaline. “I don’t want to give in to the stereotype, but it’s usually guys like Key-eomma and me.”

            “Oh,” Minho said. He uncomfortably drank a gulp of water and leaned backwards, away from Taemin’s touch.

            “If you know you’re gay,” Taemin began. He was interrupted by the delivery of the food. Both boys thanked the waitress. “If you’re gay,” He started again. “Who is the boy that you like?”

            Minho stirred his soup absentmindedly. “No one,” he lied.

            “Hyung,” Taemin whined. “Tell me! I won’t tell anyone,” He locked eyes with Minho and pouted.

            “Fine, fine. I met him a while ago. He’s very pretty and smart, and even though we’re not even dating or even close to dating, I’ve already scared him and hurt him and made him cry. Imagine what I would do if we did start dating.”

            Taemin bit his lip sadly. He was half-expecting an emotion confession, full of tears and kisses and smiles. “I’m sure he’d be happy with you anyway, hyung. We all get emotional sometimes,”

            Minho looked down uncomfortably. “Would you?” He asked. “If I... if I dated you, would you be happy with me? Wouldn’t you be able to find someone better than me?”

            Taemin locked eyes with the elder again. “There’s no one better than you, Minho hyung.” Again, he took Minho’s hand in his and massaged the clenched fist until Minho relaxed. “Don’t you see, hyung?”

            Minho held Taemin’s hand. “Don’t you see, Taemin? You deserve someone much better than me,”

            Taemin shook his head. “If you dated me, I could never let go of you.” He leaned forward and Minho mirrored his action. Looking drunkenly into Minho’s eyes, he began. “You’d be the only one for me,”

            Minho looked away, gathering his courage. Finally, after taking Taemin’s other hand, he smiled back. “I love you, Lee Taemin,” His lips found their way to Taemin’s. He took in the soft lips, the smell of Taemin’s banana shampoo, the feel of Taemin’s warmth on his face. Taemin kissed him back, squeezing his hyung’s hands. Their brains screamed for oxygen and Minho was the first to pull away.

            He touched his lips, somewhat surprised that he had actually kissed Taemin’s plump, pink lips.

            Taemin looked away shyly. “I love you, too, hyung.”

            Minho grinned happily. “Let’s eat before the food gets cold.”
            Taemin agreed, and began munching promptly.

            The boys enjoyed their meal and Taemin paid for it, ignoring Minho’s protest. Taemin claimed that he had invited Minho and he should pay. Minho said that because he was older, he should pay. Taemin countered that.

            “That way, you’ll always pay, hyung. That’s not fair.”

            Minho had playfully swatted Taemin. “Making little Taemin-ah pay isn’t fair.”

            Minho walked Taemin to his door and began to walk away. Taemin cleared his throat.

            “Hyung, you’re forgetting something,” he said, tapping his foot impatiently.

            Minho patted his pockets. “What?”

            Taemin rolled his eyes and stepped closer to Minho. “Kiss me,”

            Minho blushed but obeyed, pressing his lips against Taemin’s. Taemin returned the innocent kiss and pulled away. “Bye, Taemin” Minho smiled.

            “Bye, hyung. See you tomorrow!”

            Minho waved until Taemin was inside of his house and then trudged along the sidewalk until he reached his own. “Good night, Taemin” he said to the cold air. Then, he opened the door and went inside.