Chapter 47

For you in full bloom

Today my son is spending the day with his grandparents while I have a day off. It's really nice lol. As much as I love the kid, he drives me crazy with all his hyperness and clingyness. Ya feel me? I also got him to be really Scottish and wear a kilt! My Scottish-Vietnamese-Korean kiddo, you're bound to be confused when you get older. 

Please enjoy the next chapter!

All of the sarangs, 

Drg-Lee

--------------------------------

 

            The prospect of a large storm terrified Taemin and he worried about it all through math and history class. He ignored the important lesson about dividing polynomials and he chewed his pencil though the lesson about some war somewhere. But even more worrisome to Taemin was the thought of what would happen next week. He knew the trial was sure to come, but he didn’t worry about the outcome. If Sunglee admitted to the crime like he said he would, he was sure to be locked up and Hyunchoo was sure to be free. Taemin didn’t doubt that. What he worried about was how Key and Jonghyun would react to the trial. Would their relationship survive this battle or would their friendship, their love die like the father-son relationship had?

            He wondered how he would react if Minho’s father had lied and put his father in jail. He decided he would still love Minho, simply because he loved Minho and he didn’t see why he should stop loving Minho because of something his father did. But Taemin failed to factor in the economic downturn Jonghyun’s family had taken because of the arrest. He failed to realise the poverty that his friend lived in. While Taemin didn’t think of any of that, Key definitely did.

            He was so worried that he felt sick and couldn’t concentrate on his clay sculptures. What if his lifelong best friend left? Jonghyun would surely know that this wasn’t Key’s fault, but still, how could Jonghyun forgive him? His own flesh and blood had single handedly decimated Jonghyun’s life, pulled the financial security out from under them and rubbed dirt in their wounds.

            Minho didn’t know any of this, but Minho always knew what things were about to go down and he knew that was about to get real. He could feel it in his guts, the anticipation that some people had in their stomachs before they had to get in front of the class and speak, but he’d been feeling it for days, during his sleep, while he laughed and especially when he was silently alone and he could let all thoughts run out of his head. His mind always chose to stay onto that one thought, that nothing was alright right now and that something was going to happen. But he didn’t know what or where or why or to who and he wanted to scream and throw himself against a wall because he couldn’t deal with the annoying, ad-nauseum thought.

            “Something’s happening, Minho”

            “I know. What’s happening?”

            “Something is going to happen.”

            “I know. What’s happening?”

            “Something is happening.”

            “What’s happening?”

            “Something is going to happen. You won’t like it.”

            “What’s happening?”

            “Something’s happening, Minho.

            He asked himself the same question everyday, everytime that feeling came to his mind, but he never got a response and all he got was the same thing said in slightly different ways. This tortured him and worried him and took away his hunger and his cares about anything in the world other than what the hell was going to happen? He didn’t notice he hadn’t been eating until Taemin pointed it out, touching his forearm softly and looking up at him worriedly.

            “Why aren’t you eating, hyung?” He asked, doe eyes wide.

            “I’m not? I brought lunch,” Minho said.

            “But you aren’t eating any of it. You’ve been poking your rice for five minutes!” Taemin replied.

            “Oh,” Minho said. “I’m not really hungry.”

            Taemin eyed him curiously. “Are you feeling well?”

            Minho nodded slowly. “I just don’t feel right.

            “Are you sick?”

            “No, I don’t think so.” Minho said. “You know that feeling you get when you hear something you don’t want to hear and it just rips your soul in half?”

            Taemin blinked.

            “I don’t know why, but I feel like that.”

            “He knows. He knows what’s happening.”

            “Taemin, do you know?” He asked.

            Taemin began to shake his head.

            “Why are you asking him, Minho? I just told you that he knows.”

            “You know what it is, Taemin.”

            Taemin shook his head harder. “I don’t kn--”

            “Liar! He’s lying! He knows all about it and he won’t tell you! He doesn’t trust you!”

            “Liar!” Minho mimicked. “You’re lying! You know all about it and you won’t tell me! You don’t trust me!”

            Taemin backed away from Minho. “Hyung, I really don--”

            “Get away from the liar. We don’t like liars. Run away, Minho.”

            Minho ran from Taemin until his lungs burned in pain. He leaned against a wall of lockers, waiting for the voice.

            “One week. He knows what’s happening in one week.”

            “He said there was a hurricane in a week. Is that it?”

            “Of course not. What hurricane makes you go crazy, Choi Minho?”

            Minho shrugged. “I’m really going crazy, aren’t I? Are you ever going to go away?”

            “Insane.” The voice replied. It seemed to think. “I’ll only stay for the storm, unless you love me that much. Maybe I’ll stay forever”

            “If you’re going to do that, you should be nicer to me.”

            “So you don’t mind me?”

            “I don’t like you,” He said, truthfully.

            “I’m saving your life.”

            “Would I die in the storm if it weren’t for you?”

            “Maybe not. But you need a warning, Choi Minho”

            “And what’s that?” Minho asked, rolling his eyes. 

            “Run.”