Twenty-second Candy

Annyeong Kim Jongdae!

 

                 They walked out of the ice-cream shop after Jongdae paid. The special gifts that the waitress told them just now were just a pair of ice-cream shaped couple phone straps. But it was cute.

 

                 He could see she was still smiling by herself. Probably the after effect of his kiss just now. He chuckled. He didn’t even know where did he have the guts to kiss her so sudden like that. Even he himself was surprise with his own action. It was just a short two seconds lip touch but it was well…..nice?

 

                 “Give me your cellphone.” Jongdae spoke to her as they started walking.

 

                “Huh?” She turned to him, puzzled.

 

                “Your cellphone.”

 

                He smiled at her and patted her head lightly like a cute puppy. She blushed again. Jongdae thinks he likes to see her face turned red. It’s cute.

 

                “Owh…okay. Here.” She handed him her cellphone.

 

                Jongdae took it from her hand and took out the phone strap that he got from the waitress just now. Then he tied it on her cellphone and returned it back to her.

 

                “I’ll use the blue one and you’ll use the pink one.” He showed her his cellphone with the hanging blue ice-cream strap to her.

 

                She chuckled. “You’re so childish.”

 

                “Hey, it’s free right? Besides, it’s cute. You stalked me for four months right? You should know that I like cute things.” *remember Jongdae had a pencil with a Pororo sticker on it? (chapter 2)*

 

                “Yes. I know. And hey, I did not stalk you okay? I observed. It’s different.”

 

                “Ok. Fine. Observed. Got that.” He chuckled.

 

                “Stop laughing at me. You teased me enough today.”

 

                “It was fun to tease you.”

 

                “You are no different than Minki.” She grumbled.

 

                Jongdae didn’t know why but suddenly he felt a little unpleasant when she spoke that name.

 

               “So what’s between you and Minki? I thought you were just friends, but last night he was, well, acted more than what I thought a friend would. He was really protective about you.”

 

                “Owh, he always likes that. Being overprotective and stuffs. We’re just best friends. He asked me to help him confesses to a girl that he likes one day then the next day he became my best friends. He’s a good guy. Understands me a lot.”

 

                Understands you a lot huh? “So you don’t have girl-friends?”

 

                “Nope. Besides him, I’ve got no other friends at college. I don’t trust people easily you know. Anyway, girls have too much drama. Guys are better.”

 

                “So you have less drama?” he .

 

                “Hey, no. I didn’t mean that. I’m just saying that making friends with a guy is easier than making friends with a girl.”

 

                “So Minki’s presence must mean a lot to you right?”

 

                “Yup. Although he annoys me all the time, but I felt safer when he’s around me.”

 

                He could see a blithesome look on her face when he spoke about Minki. He felt challenged. He felt a little uneasy when there was someone who looks more adequate than him in her eyes.

 

                Oh God, did I just feel…….jealous?

 

                “Enough with the boring talk. So, where are we heading next?” she smiled at him cheerfully.

 

                Jongdae quickly awakened from his own deep thought. “Owh…well….we’re going to. Wait, let me think for a while.”

 

                “I always wanted to ride one of those couple bicycle at the park.” She spoke.

 

                “Well, then couple bicycle it is.” He smiled at her.

 

                So they both walked all the way to the park and rent a couple bicycle. The park was located beside the Han River. So they cycled happily along the river until they felt tired and then the cycled again until they were out of breath. They were laughing and giggling happily to each other like nothing had happened yesterday.

 

                They cycled back to the bicycle rental shop about an hour later and returned the bicycle. It was tiring but it was fun. They thanked the owner of the shop and headed back to the café. It was almost dusk. The sunset was beautiful. The view from the Han River was superb. They decided to watch the sunset before they leave. So they sat on a bench facing the river at the park.

 

                Jongdae did not even realize that little by little she had helped him to move on like he asked her to. He was very happy that day. And he has not felt that kind of happiness since that tragic incident four months ago. Today, he seems to forget it. Not completely, but almost. He could see she was happy too. Her smile looked like it was the happiest day of her life.

 

                The radiant orange ray from the sunset that hit her face made her looked so beautiful beside him. And he could not stop looking at her. He had closed his heart for long enough to make him even forgot how beautiful a woman can be. He wasn’t gonna lie to himself but honestly, she was prettier than his late girlfriend.

 

                “How long are you planning on staring at me like that?” she spoke when she realized that he was staring at her.

 

                Jongdae chuckled. “You caught me.”

 

                They both laughed and continued to watch the beautiful sunset until it was completely out of sight. Then they stood up and started walking back home. It was dark but the dim streetlight helped them. It was quite far actually to walk from the park to Blossom Café but maybe because they were together, the long distance seems shorter than usual.

 

                “Hey.” Jongdae called her softly as they walked.

 

                “Yes?” she turned to him.

 

                “I think there’s something on your left palm. Let me help.” He smiled at her.

 

                Even before she could take a look at it, Jongdae grabbed her left hand and hold it. She understood and chuckled.

 

                So they walked side by side while holding hands until they arrived at the café. He released her hand and as soon as they stopped at the rail fence of the café.

 

                “Looks like our official date is over now.” She spoke.

 

                “Our FIRST official date.” He corrected her.

 

                She chuckled. “So, there’ll be more dates after this?”

 

                “If you don’t mind.”

 

                “You know I don’t.”

 

                “Deal.” He smiled.

 

                “Ok, so I’m going in now.” He knew from the look on her face she didn’t want to leave although she said so.

 

                “Alright. Take care.”

 

                “See you tomorrow at class.”

 

                “Ok.”

 

                She smiled at him for the last time as he opened the gate for her. She waved at him and he waved back. Then she turned around and backs him.

 

                Suddenly Jongdae felt that this date wasn’t supposed to end this way. There was still an un-finish business and he knew he had to make it clear.

 

                “Wait.”

 

                She turned around. Jongdae opened the gate, went inside and approached her.

 

                “You still haven’t answered my question at the ice-cream shop.”

 

                “You mean…..do I like you?”

 

                “Yes.”

 

                “Do I still have to answer it after everything that happened today?”

 

                “Yes. Because I wanted to make it clear.”

 

                She chuckled. “Yes. I do. Is that clear enough for your Einstein’s brain?”

 

                Jongdae smiled. “Yeah. Much more.”

 

                “Can I go now?”

 

                “Yes.”

 

                As soon as she turned around he quickly grabbed her left arm, pulled her body onto his and landed his lips on her. For the second time today. But this time, it lasted more than two seconds.

 

                “Lesson number one from my Einstein’s brain.” He spoke right on her face.

 

                “Is to ask me back when I asked you.” He finished his sentence.

 

                She smiled. “Ok. so does your Einstein’s brain think that he likes me?”

 

                “Yes.”

 

********************