Sixteenth Candy

Annyeong Kim Jongdae!

 

                 “Oh my God! Are you alright?!” I could see Haera unnie cried as she stepped into the police station and hugged me.

 

                “What happened? You’re okay? Did they hurt you?” Jungshin oppa looked worried to.

 

                “I’m okay. Just a few bruises. But it’s fine.” I tried to give them a smile to convince them that I was alright.

 

                Then I saw Minki came in. I smiled at him, but he did not look at me. Instead, his eyes were locked on Jongdae who were sitting behind me staring blankly at the blue tiles on the floor, looking somber. He walked passed me and sat beside him.

 

                “Didn’t I tell you to take care of her?” Minki spoke with a calm voice.

 

                Jongdae did not answer.

 

                “You should’ve brought her with you.” Minki spoke again, calm, but fill with angst.

 

                Silent.

 

                No, this is not good, I should interrupt. “Minki, I’m fine. It wasn’t his fault.”

 

                “Those bad guys would have taken her, do you know that?!” Minki lost control of his temper.

 

                Jongdae still hasn’t moved his eyes off the floor.

 

                “Look at me when I’m talking to you bro!” Minki grabbed his collar and yelled to his face.

 

                “Minki! Stop! What is wrong with you?!” Minki was being overprotective again and this was not the right time!

 

                Jongdae lifted his head and looked at Minki’s face, expressionless. He blinked for a few times and snapped Minki’s hand from his collar. Then he stood up and walked out of the police station. I wanted to chase him, but my heart told me not to.

 

***************

 

                What happened yesterday was still fresh in my mind. I was glad that he came and saved me. I could not imagine what will happen to me if he did not make it at the right time. I could still remember how Jongdae hit those bad guys like a crazy man until both of them were unconscious. It was a new side of him that I never know until yesterday. I still wonder why he was acting that way. Why did he cry? It was me that was almost being taken by them, not him. I tried not to think about it too much but it seems that my mind could not stop finding the reason. But honestly, whatever the reason was, what happened last night, just made me fall in love with him more than ever.

 

                 Although I was still traumatized about what happened, but still, I tried to act normal and came downstairs to help Haera unnie and Jungshin oppa. I can’t just lock myself up at my room for the whole day. I wasn’t hurting. My body felt better after I woke up that morning. So I think I was fine. Maybe not completely fine. But still fine.

 

                “What are you doing here? You don’t have to come down. Just rest.” Haera unnie spoke when she saw me climbing down the stairs.

 

                “I’m fine.” I smiled at her.

 

                “No, you’re not.” Jungshin oppa walked out of the kitchen after he heard my voice.

 

                “Yes, I am.”

 

                “Ok. Fine. But just sit down and don’t do anything. I’ll go and get you something to eat.” Haera unnie spoke and went to the kitchen.

 

                I walked to the nearest table and pulled out the chair. I sat down and Jungshin oppa approached me.

 

                “Feeling better?” He pulled the chair beside me and sat.

 

                “Yeah.”

 

                “Don’t you wanna call him?”

 

                “Who?”

 

                “Jongdae of course.”

 

                “No. He looked so upset last night so I don’t wanna bother him.” I lied, the truth is, I want to call him, badly.

 

                “You should call him you know.”

 

                “Really?”

 

                “Yes. Tell him that you okay and ask him if he’s alright. He was worried about you. That was why he acted like that yesterday.”

 

                I sighed. What Junghin oppa said was right. But I was afraid that he won’t answer my call.

 

                “What if he refuses to answer it?”

 

                “You’ll never know until you try.” Jungshin oppa gave me a warm smile.

 

                Maybe I should try. I stood up, rushed to the staircases and climbed it as fast as I could. Haera unnie was just walking out of the kitchen with a plate of pancakes and a glass of milk on her hands.

 

                “Where are you going?” She asked.

 

                “Calling Jongdae!”

 

**********************