Thirty-sixth Candy

Annyeong Kim Jongdae!

 

 

- RE-UPLOADING THE LAST TEN CHAPTERS BACK - 

 

               Jongdae stared at the carpeted floor of his bedroom blankly. He was still rubbing his bleeding fist that was swollen now. He looked like a living corpse. Awful and dreadful. He hasn’t been eating well since two days ago. He still didn’t have the appetite to eat anything yet. He missed her so much. What happened today just made everything worst. He regretted it. A lot. But he knew he couldn’t do anything about it.

 

                He stood up slowly and leaned himself on the wall. Then he walked out of the bedroom step by step and headed towards the kitchen to take some iodine and bandage from the cupboard. Suddenly someone knocked on his door. Jongdae ignored it. He didn’t feel like meeting anyone tonight. He wanted to be alone. So he continued to walk to the kitchen like nothing happened.

 

                Then suddenly the knocked grew louder, louder and louder until it became a loud bang. It looked like the door would be crash in a few more seconds. Jongdae surrendered. He sighed heavily and walked over to the main door to answer it.

 

                Whoever that is, they came at the wrong moment.

 

                “Yes—“

 

                “You’re one in’ ! Do you know that?!”

 

                Minki burst into his house and grabbed his collar as soon as he opened the door.

 

                “Wha—“

 

                “What the hell do you think you’re doing huh?!”

 

                Even before Jongdae could say anything, a punch landed on his left jaw. Jongdae fell on the couch.

 

                “You told me you won’t hurt her!”

 

                Minki tried to punch him again, but this time Jongdae blocked and pushed him a few feet backwards.

 

                “What are you talking about?!”

 

                “Great! Now you pretend like you didn’t know anything?! Don’t be such a Jongdae!”

 

                Minki approached him, grabbed his collar again and threw him on the floor. Jongdae couldn’t stand anymore. So he kicked Minki’s stomach. Minki fell on his own knees. Jongdae quickly raised himself up, grabbed Minki’s shoulder and punched his face. But Minki didn’t budge. Instead, he aimed for Jongdae’s waist and punched it hardly. Then he stood up and knocked Jongdae with his knee. Jongdae fell on the floor again.

 

                “Why did you left her?! Now explain to me!”

 

                Jongdae just stared at him, panting heavily.

 

                “Don’t just look at me! Explain!”

 

                Minki gave him another punch on the face. Blood splattered out of his mouth. But Jongdae still didn’t say anything. He didn’t want to tell Minki why he leaved her.

 

                 “Are you dumb?! Talk to me!”

 

                “You….should…ask her.”

 

               Jongdae was doddering. Because he didn’t eat well these past few days, so he didn’t have much energy left. He felt light-headed. His body was shivering too. He could feel his swollen fist throbbing and it hurt a lot.

 

                “I wanna hear it from your own bloody mouth! So don’t give me some crappy reasons Jongdae! I know it wasn’t just because of your dead girlfriend!”

 

                “It….is.”

 

                “Damn it Jongdae!”

 

                Minki was getting insane. He grabbed Jongdae’s collar one more time, lifted him up and kicked his stomach a few times. Jongdae was too weak to hinder it. So he just let whatever Minki wanted to do to him.

 

                “Do you still love her?!”

 

                Minki yelled at his face. Hands still on his collar.

 

                “Answer me!”

 

                Jongdae didn’t answer.

 

                “Damn it Jongdae! Answer me!”

 

                No answer.

 

                “Answer my in’ question Jongdae! DO YOU STILL LOVE HER?!”

 

                “YES I DO!”

 

                Minki startled. He didn’t even realize that he had released Jongdae’s collar from his grip. Jongdae fell on the floor, kneeling. He was panting hard. Minki looked down at him and backed off a few feet away from him. Then he walked over to the nearest couch and sat on it.

 

                “So why did you leave her dude? Why? She loves you like hell. Why didn’t you appreciate it?”

 

                Jongdae turned his head to Minki. His head was still considering whether he should tell Minki or not. Finally he decided he should.

 

                “Because I know, she doesn’t.” Jongdae answered weakly.

 

                “What are you talking about? Didn’t I tell you that she loves you like hell just now?”

 

                “She THINKS she loves me, but the truth is she loves someone else but she does not realize it.”

 

                “Who the hack are you talking about?”

 

                Jongdae knew he would ask.

               

                “You. It’s you that she loves. Not me.”

 

                “Are you nuts? Yes, she loves me. She loves me as a friend. That ain’t the same bro.”

 

                “No, she’s not. She cares about you so much. And so are you. When your father died, she was worried as hack. She could not focus on her study, she didn’t eat properly and she didn’t even care about me. It was always about you. Always! You aren’t so different too. You cared about her like hell. I know that. From what I can see, she loves you and you love her too. She might doesn’t realize this, but I know as the time pass, she will understand it. And so do you. So before that time comes, I backed off. I could not tell her the truth so I lied to her. Using my late girlfriend as an excuse. So that she wouldn’t feel bad about herself.”

 

                Minki chuckled. “Wanna know a secret pal? 50% of what you said just now is true. Yes, I do like her. But since the day you came here, she went heels over head at you. I tried to tackle her for the past four months but all she sees in her eyes were you. Then I realized that I love our friendship so much so I decided to keep it the way we are now and help her to get you. As time passed, the feeling of love finally disappeared and all that left was just an un-replaceable friendship between me and her.”

 

                “So you……don’t like her…anymore?”

 

                Jongdae was hesitating to ask.

 

                “Yeah.”

 

                “Really?”

 

                “Yes, Kim Jongdae. I don’t.”

 

                Suddenly Jongdae sighed. “But that wouldn’t change anything right? She hated me so much already. And what happened at the class this morning just made everything worst. I really didn’t mean it. I just thought that she’ll forget me more easily if I do that. But I swear I regret it so much. I’m so stupid.”

 

                Minki stood up and walked over to him. Then he put his hand on Jongdae’s shoulder.

 

                “Don’t worry bro. She already forgives you. Trust me.”

 

                “Huh?” Jongdae lifted his head and looked at Minki.

 

                “Look.”

 

                Jongdae turned his face at the door and saw her standing in front of it, crying. Jongdae knew it weren’t the tears of hatred that fell from her eyes, but it were tears of forgiveness. For him.

 

******************