Nineteenth Candy

Annyeong Kim Jongdae!

 

                I could see his expression changed as he begun to speak. But I did not bother to interrupt. I was too curious to know his story, so I let him continue.

 

                “I had a girlfriend. And I loved her to death.”

 

                So he had a girlfriend? I wasn’t gonna lie, but I did feel disappointed hearing it.

 

                “We knew each other during our last year of high school. She was a shy, quiet, down to earth girl next door type while I was a school punk, a playboy, a scumbag with an Einstein’s brain. That was what my friends called me.”

 

                A playboy?! You don’t look like one Jongdae.

 

                “I was popular during my high school days because although I’m a troubled student, but still, my grades aren’t falling. Like I said, I was a playboy. So I have lots of girlfriends back there. Almost every day someone confessed to me. Since I could not choose which one of them to be my girlfriend, so I just date them all.”

 

                Wow. Now that’s a bad boy.

 

                “Until one morning, when I found a bottle of an apple juice inside my locker with a pink sticky note on the cap written with a letter ‘P’. I didn’t know who put it but I didn’t care so I drank it. Then the next day when I came to school, there was another bottle of apple juice in my locker but this time the sticky note was written with a letter ‘O’. I still didn’t bother about it too so I drank it without much care. Then the next day came and there was another bottle of apple juice in my locker but the letter on the sticky notes was ‘S’. I started to feel curious about the letters, so I collected all the sticky notes.

 

                 The apple juice continued to appear in my locker every morning for the next twenty days. The letters on the sticky notes sometimes would be different, sometimes would be the same. But during the 21st day, the apple juice still appeared inside my locker, but without the pink sticky note. I felt weird, but I did not care. I came to school the next day and quickly opened my locker. The apple juice was there, but still without the sticky note. So when I got home that day I quickly took out all the sticky notes that I’ve collected for the past 23 days.

 

                There were one ‘P’, four ‘S’, two ‘O’, three ‘E’, two ‘R’, one ‘L’, five ‘A’, one ‘T’, one ‘U’, one ‘R’, one ‘G’ and two ‘Z’. I look at the letters but I didn’t know what it means. I could not even remember the sequence of the days when the notes were given to me so I could not figure out the meaning. I spent hours figuring out the words that can be made using those letters but I could not find it. I gave up so I my laptop and try to search it in the internet. I opened the online English dictionary and tried to search again until suddenly I stumbled on a word ‘can’ which was written as ‘posso’ in Italian. Suddenly I remembered the first three letters than she wrote were, ‘P’, ‘O’ and ‘S’!

 

                Then I realized that I was too stupid. English is not the only language that used alphabets! There are other languages too. Like Italian! So I quickly searched an Italian online dictionary and worked out the letters one by one. It took me another few hours to finally understand the meaning of all the letters. It was just a simple sentence after all. Posso essere la tua ragazza. Which means Can I be your girlfriend? I was really curious to know who was the person that made me used my Einstein’s brain harder than I ever did before. But I could not help to think that it was a very cute and adorable confession. So the next day, I put a blue sticky note in my locker telling her than I managed to figure out her letters and I wanna meet her.

 

                So I met her, date her, and the next thing I knew she was the longest girlfriend that I ever had. Her character was so different than any other girl I dated. She was lovely, sweet, nice and kind. She told me that the apple juice that she gave me before she made it by herself. She liked me since we started our high school a few years ago but she was too shy to talk to me. I never get bored when she was around. She always seems to have something that attracts me to listen and to look at her when she spoke. She even made me changed myself into a better person. She said that it’ll be a waste for someone as smart as me to not studying hard and go to college. So I listened to her and studied real hard.

 

                We graduated from high school later and both of us got accepted into Jeju College. We were very happy of course since we could spend so much time together after that. We spent our freshman year at the college happily without any problems. Until that one night. The night that I’ll never forget for the rest of my life.”

 

                I could see Jongdae’s expression was full of angst and anger as he continued his story.

 

                “We were walking back from our usual dinner date at our favorite restaurant to our college when I suddenly realized that I left my wallet on the table. I told her to wait for me here so I could get back to the restaurant and take my wallet. She wanted to come along but I told her to wait. It was almost 10.00 pm so the street looked pretty deserted. I gave her my promise to come back as fast as I could and quickly ran back to the restaurant. They were just closing the restaurant when I arrived so they did not let me come in and told me to come back again tomorrow morning since they were too tired to open it again. But I begged the owner and explained to him about my wallet and he agreed to let me in.

 

                I started searching for my wallet on the table than where we sat before but it wasn’t there. So I asked the owner and a few of his workers to help me finding it. A few minutes passed but still, we could not find. I was panicked because all of my money, ID and other important stuffs were in there. We continued to search for almost an hour later until suddenly one of the worker shouted at me and holding what it seems to look like my wallet. I was so happy! I ran to him, took my wallet, gave him some tips, thanked the owner and his worker for helping and left the place. I swear I had forgotten about my girlfriend that was waiting for me because I was so happy that I found my wallet back.

 

                I walked happily to the place where I left her but when I arrived, she wasn’t there. I called her names for a few times but there was no answer. Then I took out my cellphone and called her. Suddenly I heard the sound of a cellphone ringing slowly like it was a few meters away from me. I frozed. It was her ringtone. The sound was coming from the back of a tall building ten meters from where I was standing. I could feel my hands and knees trembled. Lots of negative thoughts running inside my head but I refused to believe it. I walked slowly to the sound of the ringtone until I finally found the source. It really was her cellphone. On the dirty road, almost broken. I was speechless. Then I lifted my head and looked at pile of garbage a few feet in front of me. There was something on top of it. And I know it was not part of the garbage.”

 

                Jongdae paused. His eyes were teary. I did not realize that tears were running down my cheeks as well. I knew what he was going to say next and I do not think that I’ll like it. I quickly wiped my tears away so that he won’t see it. Jongdae looked like he could not continue anymore. I quickly moved my chair beside him, warped my arms around his neck and pulled him to my shoulder.

 

                “Hey, it’s alright if you don’t want to continue. I think it’s enough. I understand.” I ran my fingers on his hair and rubbed it gently.

 

                “I was too late. I should have brought her along. I should not have left her. It was my fault she died. They should have just taken her money and left but why do they need to kill her? Why?”

 

                I could hear he was sobbing again. But calmer than yesterday. I didn’t know how to response. Part of me thinks that it wasn’t his fault but part of it thinks that it was his fault. But I did not say anything. I just let him spilled out everything that he wanted to say. I do believe that will make him feel better.

 

                “Later I found out that she was before they kill her. And I felt like I wanted to kill myself because I felt so guilty. I even attempted a suicide but I failed. I thought of my future, my dream and all her advices. I knew that she won’t rest peacefully if I take my life away. So I moved here. Far away from Jeju hoping that I’ll just forget about all of this. But it wasn’t easy. Then suddenly, the same incident happened yesterday. That was why I was so afraid that I might be too late like I did four months ago. But luckily I was not. And I was so glad.”

 

                I could not control my tears too. So I cried. I understood the pain and anger that he felt yesterday that made him turned into a mad man. He was trying to payback the thing that he should do four months ago. I let him rested on my shoulder until he calmed down.

 

                “Feeling better now?” I asked him softly.

 

                He did not answer.

 

                “You should stop blaming yourself. The past is past and we can never turn in back. I’m sure she wanted you to move on and live happily right now.”

 

                Still no answer.

 

                “What happened yesterday maybe was a good sign after all. It made you reclaimed back what you missed four months ago. So don’t blame yourself anymore after this. Enough is enough. Understand?”

 

                He lifted his head from my shoulder and smiled at me. I could see the look of his face seems brighter.

 

                “I know. Thanks.”

 

                I stared at him. Looking at his movement, as he used his thumb to wipe his wet eyes. Jongdae, what you’ve told me just now just made me love you more. But I know that this was not a good time for me to tell you that.

               

                Suddenly he looked at me and smiled. “You’re right.”

 

                I smiled back at him.

 

                “So let’s finish what we’ve started yesterday.”

 

                “What do you mean?”

 

                “Let’s go on a proper date. Right now.” He gave me another warm smile.

 

                “Wh…at?” I stuttered. Am I dreaming?

 

                “You told me to move on right? So help me to.”

 

                I can’t believe Kim Jongdae is asking me on a date right now. Wow. This is too good to be true.

 

                “But…..I’m not wearing anything nice.” I looked at myself and I was just wearing my usual purple long sleeve V-neck tee and a pair of jeans.

 

                “You look perfectly nice right now. And I like it.”

 

                “Really?”

 

                “Yes.”

 

                “Well…okay.” I didn’t know what to say. I was happy of course!

 

                “I did not prepare anything so let’s just do whatever we want okay?” he asked.

 

                “But no Lotte World.” I answered.

 

                He chuckled. “Of course.”

 

*****************  

*phew~ this was the longest chapter that i ever wrote. 2000+ words. well since everyone were very curious what happened 4 months ago, this is it. hope you understand what happened. I wished Chen really did cry on my shoulder~ awww~ i'll be dying to wipe his tears. *ignore me* ok, nothing else to say. im gonna continue writing. hope you like the story so far! thanks! =) *

p/s:  PLEASE NOTE THAT I DID NOT PLAGIARIZED ANY OTHER STORY WHEN IM WRITING THIS FANFIC OKAY? EVERYTHING THAT I WROTE, IT POPPED INTO MY HEAD ALL BY ITSELF.