Twenty-forth Candy

Annyeong Kim Jongdae!

 

                I get off from my scooter after I parked it at my usual spot. The weather didn’t seem quite nice this morning. It was cloudy but it didn’t look like it’ll rain. I was really looking forward for today as I’ll be meeting Jongdae again. Not as his secret admirer anymore but as his GIRLFRIEND. But when I received a text this morning while I was having my breakfast, the happy thought of meeting Jongdae seems to be brushed away. It was a text from Minki, telling me that he’s already on his way back to Busan.

 

                I didn’t know what to reply. So I just told him to take care of himself and send my deepest condolence to his mom and sister. I knew I was an awful friend. I should have gone to his house last night. But I didn’t. I still felt guilty for having fun with Jongdae yesterday while he was grieving about his late father. I hope Minki will be fine. I really do.

 

                “Hey.”

 

                I turned around and I saw Jongdae was walking towards me with a smile.

 

***************

 

                Jongdae approached her with a smile on his face. But she smiled bitterly back at him.

 

                Why she looks like she isn’t happy to see me?

 

                “What’s with the gloomy face? You’re not happy to see me?” Jongdae touched her cheek. He could see she blushed.

 

                “No. Of course I’m happy.”

 

                “Well, you don’t look like that.”

 

                “Let’s walk to class. I’ll tell you along the way.”

 

                So he followed her and listened to her story about how Minki suddenly called her last night and told her his dad just died as they walked to the lecture hall. Jongdae felt sorry for Minki of course. He wasn’t really that close to him but still, he knew him quite well since Minki had asked him to help his history assignment for a couple of times.

 

                “I was worried about him but I don’t know what to do. He’s not the type of person who can accept people’s empathy. He’s too ego. But I know he needs someone to be there for him.” She continued to complain as they arrived at the lecture hall.

 

                “He has a girlfriend right? Shouldn’t she suppose to be with him at a time like this?” Jongdae asked.

 

                “I know. But he does not like to share his family problems with her. He said that she wouldn’t understand. So it always me the one who he seeks when something happens to his family. He did not even let me tell her about it.”

 

                 They did not realize that everybody around them was whispering to each other when they came into the lecture hall together and sat beside each other on the second row. Jongdae only noticed it when one of his friends tapped his shoulder and raised his eyebrow at him. Jongdae gave him a smile and turned back to her.

 

                “Do you think I should call him?” she asked.

 

                “I guess.”

 

                “Yeah. I should right? At least to ask him whether he’s fine or not.”

 

                Then Professor Sung walked in and started the lecture. Jongdae was paying his full attention to Prof. Sung as he continued to explain some mind-boggling thing on the white board. Suddenly Jongdae noticed that she wasn’t looking forward beside him. Instead, she was staring down at her book with a pen in between her fingers and a somber expression.

 

                “It’s page 112 now.” he whispered to her.

 

                She startled, almost dropped the pen when suddenly Jongdae whispered to her right ear.

 

                “Owh, really?” She quickly looked at her book and realized that it was still on page 98.

 

                “You’re okay?” he asked.

 

                “Yeah. I’m fine. Just thinking about Minki.”

 

                “You wanna leave early?”

 

                “No. no. I’m fine, really. Just keep concentrate on the lecture ok? Ignore me.” she smiled at him.

 

                Jongdae nodded and looked at Prof. Sung back. He thought to himself, how could he concentrate when his girlfriend was worrying about another guy beside him? But he quickly threw away the evil thought and told himself that Minki is her best friend. So of course she’s gonna be worried as hack about him. Jongdae took a deep breath, let it went slowly and tried to concentrate on the white board again. Get a grip Jongdae.

 

******************